Phat Bastard Sword

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Phat Bastard Sword

Post by Big Lazy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Well the name of this CF sword got my attention straight away and its a beauty for sure

Heres the specs

Overall Length 47"
Grip Length 8"
Blade Length 36"
Centre of Percussion 23"
Point of Balance 6"
Approximate Weight 3 lb

Bargain for only $495 (£274)

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Hmm yea I've been drolling over it fer a bit meself :lick:

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:05 pm

Not bad, its similar to a rangersword so I like, would prefer it to have a fuller though

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:56 pm

lovely sword i actually have a second hand one that is stripped down waiting a polish and refit (i will get round to it eventually) great sword handles really well and the cutting potential is top notch which is the main reason why i could not resist getting it second hand even though it does need a fair bit of work to get it back up to a good standard.

kind regards

Sam

Post by Sam » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:13 am

Could you put a fuller (spelling???) in that yourself DS?

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:24 am

Sam wrote:Could you put a fuller (spelling???) in that yourself DS?
its possible but it would likely ruin the harmonics of the blade (balance handling and the centre of percussion)

kind regards

Sam

Post by Sam » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:55 pm

So, if its designed like that: leave it like that. ?

McItoshi

Post by McItoshi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:15 pm

Can I ask what is this centre of percussion ?
Last edited by McItoshi on Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaunt

Post by Gaunt » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:26 pm

Sam wrote:So, if its designed like that: leave it like that. ?
Kind of. the main parts of a sword effect the other main parts of a sword, its all designed to work in harmony with each other, so when you change one part it will usually mean changing most of the rest of the sword, to an extent of its not really worth it you might as well get another sword for the amount of work it would take to make an alteration like adding a fuller

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:15 pm

McItoshi wrote:Can I ask what is this centre of percussion ?
the centre of percussion or COP for short is the point along the blade that transmits the least vibration back to the grip area and is thus the optimal point to aim to cut with, the easy way to find the COP is to hold the sword in one hand and strike the pommel area in such a way as to transmit a shockwave along the sword the point on the blade that stays steady while the rest wobbles is the COP, the placement of the COP is second nature to a skilled swordsmith as the optimal point will be designed into the sword and alterations to hilt fittings and blade geometry (thickness,length etc) are made to make the sword handle as it should as the optimal COP placement is inherant in a well made sword.(of a specific type, custom swords have the COP placed optimally by the skill of the smith)

as mentioned already the moment you start making alterations to a sword the prime consideration while doing so is to maintain the original balance and handling criteria (i spent many hours doing just this while making my prototype sai swords) as if you dont you will have a nice looking wallhanger after you finish as the sword will no longer function as an effective weapon.

thus some alterations to some swords may well be possible but are very labour intensive if you intend for the sword to be a usefull and correct representation of the type (or indeed a usefull hybrid or custom), so much so that you may as well get a custom made or regard it as a labour of love that will probably absorb more time than it deserves in a purely monetary sense (imho).

kind regards

Sam

Post by Sam » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:23 pm

Gaunt wrote:
Sam wrote:So, if its designed like that: leave it like that. ?
Kind of. the main parts of a sword effect the other main parts of a sword, its all designed to work in harmony with each other, so when you change one part it will usually mean changing most of the rest of the sword, to an extent of its not really worth it you might as well get another sword for the amount of work it would take to make an alteration like adding a fuller
cheers kidda.

Moon

Post by Moon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:09 pm

I really like this sword and the price is good too IMO.
I've just shown it to the wife and hinted that the Phat Bastard Sword would be a nice Xmas present for me,to which her reply was "Phat Ba***rd Chance"!!............Ahh well!!

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:35 pm

MoonShadow wrote:I really like this sword and the price is good too IMO.
I've just shown it to the wife and hinted that the Phat Bastard Sword would be a nice Xmas present for me,to which her reply was "Phat Ba***rd Chance"!!............Ahh well!!
:???:

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:54 pm

MoonShadow wrote:I really like this sword and the price is good too IMO.
LMAO I said the same when me BF asked fer an Xbox 360 fer Xmass