New Chen Folded Katana

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

New Chen Folded Katana

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:26 pm

Introducing thePaul Chen 'Hicho' Katana

Now I'm sure we've seen these fitting a few times before, but this bad boy is folded and very very nice :wink:

Here's the sell

This sword has a 28.25" blade, 10.5" handle and is 42" overall. The tip of the blade is 1.75" and the 1" habaki makes the blade 29.25". This sword comes with a custom silk bag for storage, a maintenance kit for cleaning and premium black lacquered sword stand for display. Silk bags are selected at random based on current stock. Available with or without bo-hi (groove)

This sword uses the same hand forged and folded ASSAB-120C Swedish high carbon steel, which offers outstanding edge holding properties and is a much harder steel than our forged line. The edge-tempering process (clay firing) produces a edge hardness of RC60 and a back hardness of RC40. This allows for a hard cutting edge and a softer back to absorb the shock from the cutting stroke. After the blades are heat treated, they are then hand polished using traditional methods revealing the hamon line as well as the linear folding pattern giving each blade its own unique appearance.

How much Larny Boy I hear you cry.... well it aint cheap..... $1599.99 :|

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:55 pm

Ouch, I was loving that til I saw the price :cry:

Kev63

Post by Kev63 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:38 pm

Yep, very nice! Just the price hit me hard lol

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:16 pm

price is something you pay, when you want a bit of quality.

its funny that hanwei now sell blades that are more expensive than bugei (or, at least are trying to fill a certain gap)... and possibly DUE to the relationship they have. it shows that hanwei blades were made to a certain budget, and that they have to increase that price band to match other vendors... id like to see one of these blades.

its also nice to see hanwei attempting to make decent blades, as apposed to the most cost effective.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:55 pm

The blade is lovely and I wish Loz stocked those bags but I cant say I like the fittings.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:22 pm

the bags are of a random design.
This sword comes with a custom silk bag for storage, a maintenance kit for cleaning and premium black lacquered sword stand for display. Silk bags are selected at random based on current stock.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:27 pm

I just like those kimono silk bags with the proper tassled ties the pattern doesnt really matter as long as it aint pink 8)

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:35 pm

lol.... you can make up bags like that, and theres about 12 places online that do kimono material. even *I* can do them, and im retarded with sewing.

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:02 pm

I was expecting that to be the cheapest of the PC folded katana, being most plain. Meh.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:00 pm

its not the plainest though. its got a folded blade, and being simple doesnt difine a sword.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:01 pm

wtf? wrote:lol.... you can make up bags like that, and theres about 12 places online that do kimono material. even *I* can do them, and im retarded with sewing.
True but if it aint metal wood or wax I tend to be a lazy ass beatch 8)

Moon

Post by Moon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:07 pm

If I was gonna spend that kind of money on a blade,I'd have to go Bugei Wave.
I like "plain" myself,gaudy Koshirae and brightly coloured Sayas are not for me but that's just my personal preference.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:14 am

Blackbird wrote:
wtf? wrote:lol.... you can make up bags like that, and theres about 12 places online that do kimono material. even *I* can do them, and im retarded with sewing.
True but if it aint metal wood or wax I tend to be a lazy ass beatch 8)
ah well.... points for effort. 8)

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:36 am

wtf? wrote:price is something you pay, when you want a bit of quality.

its funny that hanwei now sell blades that are more expensive than bugei (or, at least are trying to fill a certain gap)... and possibly DUE to the relationship they have. it shows that hanwei blades were made to a certain budget, and that they have to increase that price band to match other vendors... id like to see one of these blades.

its also nice to see hanwei attempting to make decent blades, as apposed to the most cost effective.
if the premiun over content is high for the bugei offerings then imagine the profit margin on these.

i dont think think there are any quality issues on the folded range (other than freak mistakes) and frankly with bugei you only pay extra for the few options you get and the expensive QC. (from bugei)

if hanwei want to charge a little more for one sword good for them, i know where my moneys going and its not to either.

kind regards

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:28 am

Jaques wrote:I was expecting that to be the cheapest of the PC folded katana, being most plain. Meh.
Some people would prefer a 'plain' katana instead of the 'over the top' look of the other folded kats (such as the Bushido) The only thing I'm not keen on is the tsuba but I love the W&T fittings big time