Generation 2 Swords

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Generation 2 Swords

Post by Big Lazy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:26 am

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything about these swords at all?

The katana they're bringing out looks pretty decent but I've just been reading up on their Excalibur Sword.

Here's some pics (not the best quality pics but all I could find)

If this sword is truly functional I'd be very interested in taking a look (H)

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:40 pm

You and me both mate, I really like the broadsword/hand and a half style swords and that looks really nice :D

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 pm

I'm told they're ridiculously priced either. somewhere around the £200-250 mark

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 pm

Thats pretty good, I'll wait for some reviews before doing anything though

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:08 pm

Agreed, Ied have to read a few reveiws. At firrst glance their suspiciously shiney.

Killua

Post by Killua » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:15 pm

The Generation 2 katana certainly looks interesting....anyone be able to point me in the way of a review?

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:55 pm

Got some specs of these swords off a different site.

Excalibur Brass(IP-035B) - The legendary sword of King Arthur son of Uther and Igrain. It was said, "Whoso pulleth out the sword from this stone is born the rightful King of Britain." Upon pulling Excalibur from the stone Arthur became King of all Britain. Legend has it that Arthur will one day return to rule again. The blade of this Magnificent Battle-Ready Sword is highly polished high carbon spring steel.
You can choose a leather scabbard or wooden scabbard. The wooden scabbard is made of hardwood wrapped in black leather and comes complete with a two strap adjustable frog, which allows the sword to hang at the correct angle for a smooth draw.

Blade Length: 34"
Overall: 44 1/2"

Generation 2 battle-ready swords are made of 3/16" high carbon spring steel with a full hefty tang. The pommels and cross guards are made from polished solid steel or brass. These swords have been thoroughly tested in both cutting 2"x4" wood boards and in live steel combat (hit blade on blade) without breaking or bending! These swords have the endorsement of Last LegendTM.

This one looks quite nice as well

Joan of Arc Sword -Our newest Generation 2 design. This sword fashioned after a 15th century design with a little French flair. The red enameled Cross in the center of pommel symbolizes a true Christian Warrior of that time. A full length leather scabbard is included.
Blade length: 27"
Handle/Hilt length: 7.5"
Overall: 34.5"
Balance Point: 4.0" Below Hilt
Weight: 1.5 lbs.
Note: The blade is 3/16" high carbon spring steel with a full hefty tang. We tested it on several 2"x4" standing up and split them with no marring on the blade. We then tested it on a 2"x4" cross ways resting on each side on a solid rest and came straight down. It did not cut all the way through but it did cut deep and again did not mar the blade or edge. We then went to the ultimate test Steel-to-SteelSM. We did 9 good blows, it nicked the blade but did not break the blade not break the tang or handle in either of these test. We then contacted Last LegendTM to get their endorsement and they said let us test it, so we sent it to them. We now have the endorsement of Last LegendTM.

And this one

Another winning Generation 2 design. Most Early versions of the Roman Gladius were wasp waisted with a long point that combined cutting power and stabbing ability in one handy weapon. Early Roman Swords from the first century b.c. display a 'waisting' of the blade to improve balance and a long, narrow point. Even later versions (like the Pompeii pattern) were not waisted and also had a shorter point but were just as effective - and easier to make. Both swords served side-by-side for many years and it was not uncommon to find 4th century Legionnaires carrying either models. The gladius is known as "the sword that conquered the world". It features a full tang construction, high carbon blade, hard wood handle. High polished steel spacer at the bottom of the handle for strength and durability. A leather scabbard is included.
Blade length: 21"
Handle/Hilt length: 8-1/4"
Overall: 29-1/4"
Balance Point: 2-1/2" Below Hilt
Weight: 2-1/2 lbs.

Note: The blade is 3/16" high carbon spring steel with a full hefty tang. We tested it on several 2"x4" standing up and split them with no marring on the blade. We then tested it on a 2"x4" cross ways resting on each side on a solid rest and came straight down. It did not cut all the way through but it did cut deep and again did not mar the blade or edge. We then went to the ultimate test Steel-to-SteelSM. We did 9 good blows, it nicked the blade but did not break the blade not break the tang or handle in either of these test.

Edit:

Just found this one too

Sword of Lancelot - ( Sir Lancelot Du Lac) or Launcelot. The Myth: Lancelot was the son of King Ban of Benwick and Queen Elaine. He was the First Knight of the Round Table, and he never failed in gentleness, courtesy, or courage. Launcelot was also a knight who was very willing to serve others.
Launcelot forces Sir Mador to withdraw his false accusation against Queen Guinevere.

It has been said that Lancelot was the greatest fighter and swordsman of all the knights of the Round Table. Legend tells us that as a child, Lancelot was left by the shore of the lake, where he was found by Vivien, the Lady of the Lake. She fostered and raised him, and in time Lancelot became one of history's greatest knights.

Legend also says that Lancelot was the father of Galahad by Elaine. It was another Elaine, Elaine of Astolat, who died of a broken heart because Launcelot did not return her love and affection.

Many sources tell us of the love shared toward each other of Lancelot and Queen Guinevere. There may be some truth to this since Lancelot was a favorite of the Queen's, and he rescued her from the stake on two different occasions. It was at one of these rescues that Lancelot mistakenly killed Sir Gareth, which led to the disbandment of the Round Table. After the Queen repented to an abbey as a nun, Lancelot lived the rest of his life as a hermit in penitence.

Strictly limited to only 400 pieces worldwide!

Blade length: 29"
Handle/Hilt length: 8 1/2"
Overall: 37 1/2"
Balance Point: 2 1/2" Below Hilt
Weight: 3 3/4 lbs. (But with the balance point it feels lighter in the hand)

Note: The blade is 3/16" high carbon spring steel with a full hefty tang. We tested it on several 2"x4" standing up and split them with no marring on the blade. We then tested it on a 2"x4" cross ways resting on each side on a solid rest and came straight down. It did not cut all the way through but it did cut deep and again did not mar the blade or edge. We then went to the ultimate test Steel-to-SteelSM. We did 9 good blows, it nicked the blade but did not break the blade not break the tang or handle in either of these test.

Some of the cutting claims I'm a bit dubious of, cutting of 2x4's and steel on steel contact. Darksun what would your opinion be?

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Angelus wrote: Some of the cutting claims I'm a bit dubious of, cutting of 2x4's and steel on steel contact. Darksun what would your opinion be?
sounds resonable, however the blades look a little rough in the geometry department compared to some of the competition in the broad price range my primary concern is not the claims of the cutting ability of the swords as that is well within the scope of the swords of the type but rather the overall handling and feel in the hand with regard to weight distribution and overall build quality which as i said looks a little off (could be overly blade heavy) however without swinging one or reading a review by a trusted source (as such) its all guesswork for now.. some of them do look nice enough though..

kind regards

michael_collins_2000_ie

Post by michael_collins_2000_ie » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:01 pm

The sword of brian boru rox and i know the website ur on about.