Introducing the Marto Benchmark Collection

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Introducing the Marto Benchmark Collection

Post by Big Lazy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:04 pm

Seems our friends at Marto have been busy again. This is their new range of swords for 2006 and blow me they aint cheap, all these are around the $500 mark :|

First up is the Templar sword

here's the sell

Following England’s seizure of the Holy Land in 1112 A.D., a group of nine devout men volunteered their services to the king and to God to henceforth protect sojourners during their pilgrimages to and from the sacred land. Dubbed the Knights of Templar, these religious zealots accepted a vow of poverty and received no formal pay for their duties. Still, from such humble beginnings, they became one of the most powerful, wealthy and feared of the Christian military orders.

The Templar Sword is a handsomely crafted archetype that combines the chivalry, symbolism and battle-honed design of the swords used by these ambitious First Crusaders. Created by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its superior craftsmanship and detail make it a unique showcase within our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

Symbols of the Templar Order abound from the extraordinary Gothic detail on the handcrafted gold-enameled hilt to the slender tip of the intricately etched blade. The Templar Cross repeats itself throughout, as does the trademark image of two knights astride a single steed, a symbol of the religious-military duality of the Order.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Templar Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 46 inches
• Weight: 7.7 pounds

and a bigger pic too

Next we have the Apocalypse Rider Sword

In literature and legend, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have no equal. The fear they strike within the hearts of mankind is fixed deep within our collective marrow. As antagonists and symbols of darkness, they reign supreme.

The Apocalypse Rider Sword – the weapon of the Horseman of War – takes a sadistic delight in articulating the evil of these Biblical bad boys. Hand-built by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its jagged, pain-seeking design make it a unique blade within our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

A conflict of beauty and Gothic horror, the eerily compelling weapon runs amok with dark and demonic detail. The extraordinary hilt, gold enamel seemingly weathered in the fires of Hell, is a temple of doom, boasting a pommel dedicated to Lucifer, a grip depicting the hooded and emaciated Apocalypse Rider, and a cross that seethes with the specter of both. Inescapable as well, is the blade, an intimidating, pain-maximizing serrated scythe unlike any other blade in the world.

Sealed with Marto’s renowned quality, the Apocalypse Rider Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 53 inches
• Weight: 15.4 pounds

another bigger pic

Next up we have the Don Quixote Sword

Don Quixote’s admirable though delusional quest to revive the age of chivalry rates as one of the greatest literary tales of all time. And to celebrate its 400th year in existence, the renowned sword craftsmen at Marto have custom forged this gorgeous blade to honor him and his creator, Miguel Cervantes.

Hand-built with care and world-class craftsmanship, the stellar piece is an exclusive to our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

The weapon, like its inspiration, is a masterwork of composition and detail. Unfolding with effortless grace is a sweeping narrative of hand-applied silver enamel and a hilt that twists and turns with the elegance of Cervante’s famous plot line. Sculpted into the guard top are Quixote and his squire, Sancho Panza, a centerpiece appointment that segues into a lithe double-edge blade beautifully etched with icons from the tale. Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Don Quixote Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 40 inches

and a more detailed pic

Next is one of my favourites, the Excalibur Sword

The fabled Excalibur requires no introduction. Upon its release from the mystical stone centuries ago, its glory and power not only forever altered the life of young Arthur and his Mother Land, it also has since inspired countless tales preserved and passed down through the written, spoken and cinematic word.

This beautifully crafted forging maintains the power, romance and mythical prowess of the legend. Hand-built by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its superior craftsmanship and detail make it a unique showcase within our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

Symbols of the weapon’s origins abound showcasing themselves upon the extraordinary medieval detail on the handcrafted gold-enameled hilt and on to the blunted tip of the intricately etched double-edged blade. The legendary stone, Arthur’s image, and the Knights of the Round Table’s venerated insignia figure prominently within the presentation.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Excalibur is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 48 inches

Another fav of mine is the Richard The Lionheart Sword

Richard I was a king’s king – a shrewd politician, generous to his people and unfalteringly courageous. He was a king who led his men into battle and with them fought side-by-side against the enemy.

His character earned him the honored nickname of Richard The Lionheart, a moniker rich in symbolism and reverence, a pair of traits celebrated within this sword bearing his legendary name.

Forged by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its superior craftsmanship and detail are representative of the weapons within our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

Inspired by his namesake, the sword features prominently the proud and fierce visage of the lion. Its presence repeats itself upon the gorgeously etched blade, though nowhere is it more striking than on the pommel where a pewter-toned sculpted head, teeth bared and blood-red eyes agleam, emerges from the gold-enamel underlay. Beautifully distressed faux-leather wraps the grip in deep green, making a fine contrapuntal backdrop to the floral and diamond riveting.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Richard The Lionheart Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 40 inches
• Weight: 5.5 pounds

Now for th Masonic Sword

From a brotherhood of stone workers and wood craftsmen, blacksmiths and architects emerged the Freemasons – a centuries-old worldwide society “working for the material and moral improvement of society.” Their motto, “What You Make, Makes You,” succinctly defines their purpose and character.

The Masonic Sword, a centerpiece of Freemason ritual, upholds the proud tradition and standards of this philanthropic guild. Hand-built by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its craftsmanship is sound and assured, making it a cornerstone piece within our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

A craftsman’s prize, the sword abounds with Masonic symbolism. The hilt, anchored upon a stunning foundation of hand-applied gold-enamel, showcases through pewter-toned treatments a compass, setsquare, plumb line and hammer, the highly regarded tools of the trade. Freemason insignias – the sacred book, the Eye of the Supreme Being and the five-pointed star intertwined with a capital G – repeat themselves displayed in intricate etchwork upon double-edged blade.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Masonic Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

The Musketeer Sword

In 1622, Luis XIII established a special corps of swordsmen to protect the crown and his beloved wife, Queen Anne. He called this group the Musketeers, and from it emerged three agents of superior daring, unbridled courage and, as Hollywood has since revealed, devastating good looks and searing wit.

The élan, chivalry and distinctive style of Athos, Porthos and Aramis, collectively the “The Three Musketeers,” present themselves in this classically styled piece of 17th century cutlery. Hand-built by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its ornate, swashbuckler detail lends Baroque flare to our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

The unquestionable pinnacle of the sword resides within the meticulous detail and breathtaking design execution invested in the hilt. Hand-applied silver enamel casts dramatic shadow and light upon the goateed visage of the Musketeer populating the pommel, knuckle guard and cross ends. Gold-finished fleur-de-lis details provide starlight accents on the textured grip, while the crown of Luis XIII repeats itself upon the authentic teacup guard.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Musketeer Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Weight: 7 pounds

Gah its the Pirate Saber

Though a plague upon all the seas, piracy thrived in the Caribbean, where the opportunistic sea bandits could plunder a passing merchant ship and then disappear into one of the countless uncharted bays of the sprawling archipelago. And, it’s from this region that literature and film has assumed its archetypical pirate: a swarthy, saber-wielding scalawag with an insatiable thirst for treasure and rum.

The Pirate Saber harkens the era with a whimsical forging that blends Old World romance with astute historical accuracy. Hand-crafted by the master swordsmiths at Marto, its authenticity lends itself well to our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

Compact, efficient and deadly, the saber features a treasure chest of hand-sculpted, gold-enameled detail. The guard, a quarter-cup shield typical of the times, engages the eye with relics of a pirate’s life – ship planks, knotted hemp ropes and the allure of a curvaceous sea-maiden. The blade, custom-etched with anchors and the sinister pirate trademark Jolly Roger, is short to allow for stealth and the maneuverability needed in close-quarter, on-board fighting.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Pirate Saber is a sea worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 29 inches
• Weight: 7 pounds

(this pic looks a bit rude lol)

and finally we have the Robin Hood Sword

A hero to the poor and oppressed, and a bane to the despots who shadowed them, Robin Hood’s maverick spirit transcends the ages. Through virtually all mediums -- poetry and novels, films and opera -- his vision of righting wrongs burns steady within the conscience of mankind.

The Robin Hood Sword, beautifully handcrafted by the master swordsmiths at Marto, preserves his legendary goodwill within a medium of glistening steel and unique decoration. Hand-built with a tradition of superior craftsmanship and detail, it rates a showcase blade within our new Benchmark Sword Collection, a collector’s gallery presenting an array of weaponry that celebrates history, legend and literature’s most influential swords, heroes and anti-heroes.

The custom-crafted hilt displays a masterwork of color and decoration. Built upon a palette of antiqued gold enamel, the pommel and grip offset this warm patina with stone and velvet detailing as richly verdant as the flora of Sherwood Forest. Intricate etch-work dresses the blade, summoning intrigue to its finely honed, beveled edges.

Sealed with Marto’s world-renown quality, the Robin Hood Sword is a worthy addition to any sword enthusiast’s collection.

• Length: 48 inches

Now expensive wallhangers they may be, you really cant deny the shere beauty of these swords.

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:23 pm

The pirate one I like but the others I really dont wouldnt pay out that much though!

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:24 pm

I can honestly say that none of those swords appeal to me at all. They are far to fancy for my tastes and as you said, expensive wall hangers

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:37 pm

Its interesting how different people have different views on what makes a sword 'beautiful'. They are quite pretty swords, but they're just not my cup of tea. I'm not really a big fan of Marto. I think they are overpriced for what they are - which, is essentially, stainless steel (they are SS right?) wallhangers with too much fancy furniture and printing on the blade.

That said, I can appreciate why people would go for some of the above swords or anything from Marto for that case. They are after all, a respected sword maker. They just don't hit the spot for me.

But I admit, I'm a sucker for plain design :D I like 'plain and simple' well constructed 'functional' swords. I vowed I'd never purchase another wallhanger a long time ago now.

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:04 pm

I'll go along with all that's been said above.
Expensive and yet look cheap,to me anyway.
Angus Trim range look far more authentic and are functional,for about the same price too.

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:09 pm

Logan wrote:Its interesting how different people have different views on what makes a sword 'beautiful'. They are quite pretty swords, but they're just not my cup of tea. I'm not really a big fan of Marto. I think they are overpriced for what they are - which, is essentially, stainless steel (they are SS right?) wallhangers with too much fancy furniture and printing on the blade.

That said, I can appreciate why people would go for some of the above swords or anything from Marto for that case. They are after all, a respected sword maker. They just don't hit the spot for me.

But I admit, I'm a sucker for plain design :D I like 'plain and simple' well constructed 'functional' swords. I vowed I'd never purchase another wallhanger a long time ago now.
:roll: ohhhh Logan......

tell the truth... you just don't like Marto 'cos they're "toooooooo popular...." and have sold out to the masses..... ;)

just kiddin pal :)

the only sword I'd go for there is still the Robn Hood sword.... but in general, all still too fancy shmancy for my tastes... :S

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:20 pm

HatchA wrote:tell the truth... you just don't like Marto 'cos they're "toooooooo popular...." and have sold out to the masses..... ;)

just kiddin pal :)
ROFL PMSL!! :???: :D
HatchA wrote:the only sword I'd go for there is still the Robn Hood sword.... but in general, all still too fancy shmancy for my tastes... :S
Yup, that's pretty much my view. The Robin Hood one was the only one that stood out for me, but only cos its Robin Hood lol, as you say, to fancy for my liking.

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:21 pm

lol - must be a girl thing - i thought these swords were amazing!! I really like the Masonic one - very very pretty!!

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Hehe, they are 'pretty', and that'll appeal to some of course (H)

Gaunt

Post by Gaunt » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:47 pm

lets melt em down and make something better

Adurul

Post by Adurul » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:50 pm

I can honestly say that every single one of them would look better in liquid form. Absolutely hideous.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:23 pm

Nope all far to fussy and regardless of their build quality they look cheep.

michael_collins_2000_ie

Post by michael_collins_2000_ie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:56 pm

How muchly?

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:52 pm

IF i ever bought a wallhanger, and had to choose one out of these it would probably be the pirate one.
but as most people have already said , there not realy my cup of tea.