Has Greek armour dissapeared?

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Wolven Queen

Has Greek armour dissapeared?

Post by Wolven Queen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 am

Well, basicaly i was looking at some stuff on the internet, and i was looking for greek armours and weapons. Funnily enough, all i got was roman gladius's, roman armour, roman helmets and greek helmets. The problem is that all they had was helmets and not armour or padding/tunic or some nice spears or swords or shields.
Anyone got any idea where these weapons and armours may have gone?

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:37 am

they dont make much greek stuff anymore. it is possible to get greek blades made up custom... and some places do semicustom blades... for armour, and shields, make your own... its quite simple if you want an approximation rather than a exact replica.

ive already done a crossover shield, for a sword i had made... its in the DIY section.... the designs anyway.

Wolven Queen

Post by Wolven Queen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:48 am

can you get me some site which gives instructions for that kind of DIY. Ive never done it before, so i dont know what equipment etc you need.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:59 am

Wolven Queen wrote:can you get me some site which gives instructions for that kind of DIY. Ive never done it before, so i dont know what equipment etc you need.
Advertising rivals to b-uk is against the forum rules I'm afraid, you'll have to search google

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:17 pm

you dont need any sites. just experiment.

like i said, if you only want an armour approximation, then you can do your own easily. ive always used car repair kits (bonded fiberglass) which ive upgraded to slightly higher spec carbon fibre.

you can upgrade it with various other matierials which get laminated into the main body. specific designs will vary. ive made japanese style armour, where designs, and processes are widely avalible. the rest has came from my head.

the benifit of bonded carbon fibre is that its easy to work, very tough, and with laminates, blade proof... its also light... which is its major downfall as well.

as a blade proof material, it really is viable once you get the material specs right. (the laminate materials, number of layers, armour design, etc) things like shields are real easy.

ive also found that you can make plates with a MDF table, and some thin artist paper. lay the paper on the table, and pile up your resin, and sheet mix. once the 1 layer is made, you can cut it with strong craft knives, or powered saw of any sort, and bend it with the addition of heat. the paper washes off the back with some wire wool. and the material can be built up once the final shape is decided on.

the large plates also become helpfull when doing scale... with the right jig, you can take a 3x3 foot panel, and turn it into scales, and drill them in a hour! with the right tools, and experience, you can make basic japanese armour in 2 days, without colouring, and lacing... thats all the blank plates, and scales ready. with practice, you can make full japanese armour, to any design in a week. with high enough specs to withstand any conventional bladed weapon.

Wolven Queen

Post by Wolven Queen » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:25 pm

id love to do that but i have no experience whatsoever (well apart from a few very weir-shaped wooden and copper swords i made for school about six years ago)

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:03 pm

its simple as hell... to start, use basic body repair kits, avalible from all decent hardware stores... consists of fiberglass mats, that you can cut with scissors, and a resin with hardener.

you may need a icecream tub to mix the resin, and some large brushes from the pound shop to apply it.

you cut any shape, use thin paper, or card as a backing, and apply resin. then you just keep adding layers. that gives you a plate to your design, thats basicly as detailed as your scissors are. if you want bent plates for anything, just take your first layer, and before adding thickness with more fiberglass, take a hairdrier, and heat it. after its hot enough, it bends really easily. once you have shape.... add bulk.
i personally use artists paper, on a large MDF table to make single sheets. from there, i work out the parts that need to be scale, the parts that need to be bent, and other such things. then i mark it, bend the right parts, build it up, and cut to size (easy stuff to cut, if a lil messy)

after that, its just drilling (which takes no time at all, with a jig setup.) painting (again, MDF with pins to hold everything, and spray paints) final sanding, and finishing, laquering (spray) and lacing... most of the labour is the construction, and "looks" rather than the armour material itself.... like i said... i can make full japanese armour, to whatever colours, etc, to almost any design, within a week (including chainmail sections). so were not talking MAJOR engineering feats being done! the material actually only takes 3 days to get made, shaped, drilled, and roughly filed, and sanded. the other 4 is paint, laquer, lacing, chainmail, leatherwork, and other random, small jobs.

theres honestly nothing that can go much wrong, and ive yet to find an easier material to work with. with the right resin, and carbon fibre plating, the armour becomes completely impervious to blade, and blunt trauma attacks. the basic resin, and fiberglass mix can yield some impressive reasults in the right design, as well.

honest to god... its as simple as im making out.

Wolven Queen

Post by Wolven Queen » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:38 pm

and the colour?

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:51 pm

whatever colour you want. i add a small amount of my base colour to the resin to make the final steps easier. theres ways to mimic steel patterns, and wood patterns, with drybrushing. but its entirely up to you. your only limit is what the local DIY place has, or what you can mix for a spray kit.

leather can be coloured, chainmail links, and rivets can be laquered, metals can be adonised, painted, or laquered.

its possible im not understanding the question, though.