Ryumon Okinawa Katana

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun May 21, 2006 10:08 am

Jaques wrote:Well a display case wouldnt be especially hard to make. The most difficult part would be dovetail joints and they're not exactly hard. Though aesthetically it'd take a bit more skill if you dont just want a natural wood finish.
Jaques have you ever actually made any dovetail joints? Particularly small ones fer a display box? :S Personally I avoid em like the effing plague and how the hell is a painted or laqured finish moe skillfull than a natural one, a natural ones if its done well requires you to get pieces of wood that are asthetically beautifull as well as sound do those dovetails perfectly because they will be on display and select the right sort of finish fer the wood.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun May 21, 2006 11:04 am

ive always used a jig for dovetails... which is technically cheating, but it works... and like BB has said, a natural finish is much harder to achive than a painted one.
i gave some jewelery out as a gift about 2 years ago, that i had made up. made up one with a painted box, and one with rosewood. i can happily tell you that the painde one took about 1/3rd of the time as the natural finish rosewood.

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Sun May 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Oh ok - I've never worked with especially high quality wood. The way I see it when making dovetails is you just have to be sure. They're annoying and whatever but ultimately its down to just making sure your measurments are right and not screwing up when you're cutting them right? And when you do em properly its worth it cause they really are reliable.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun May 21, 2006 5:49 pm

like i said, you can use jigs which take out a lot of the issues. with the right tools, you can make up a dovetailed box in a few hours. and you dont even need THAT much experience... just a basic knowlege of how to use the tools you have.