Ridiculous swords ...

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Cool McSerious

Re: Ridiculous swords ...

Postby Cool McSerious » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Of course it is, I 'copied image location' - that doesn't mean you have to tell everyone and essentially turn the pics into against-the-rules links.

darkerhobo

Postby darkerhobo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Hatamoto wrote:Would be funny if it was only a wakizashi length XD
If the blade ran the whole length of the saya though, how durable would it be? I fear to think what would happen trying to swing it and losing control :/

And noone fighting with you could stand within 6 feet of you for fear of...I guess friendly fire, don't know what to call it in that day and age. Your friend killing you accidently.

Moon

Postby Moon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 pm

Cool McSerious wrote:Of course it is, I 'copied image location' - that doesn't mean you have to tell everyone and essentially turn the pics into against-the-rules links.

You're right...it didn't mean that I had to and normally I wouldn't have but seeing as it was you...I thought it worthy of the exception. :twisted:
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:32 am

You're beginning to act almost as maturely as me....

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Cool McSerious wrote:You're beginning to act almost as maturely as me....

That was almost funny Jaques. :roll:

On which Mickey Mouse forum did you ask for advice with that reply? :>
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:39 am

To astounded that I posses an iota of wit to reply with anything other than a petty insult? Should I be flattered or hurt?

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:26 pm

Cool McSerious wrote:Too astounded that I possess an iota of wit to reply with anything other than a petty insult?

I've taken the liberty of correcting your spelling mistakes in the above quote and in answer to your question......
Yes!
Cool McSerious wrote:Should I be flattered or hurt?

I think you should be *flattened* and hurt.

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:19 pm

My eloquency out does my spelling. In other words I often come out with perfectly intelligent phrases utterly undermined by the fact I can't spell for shizzle :oops:

simonatack

Postby simonatack » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Moon wrote:Don't seem quite so ridiculous now eh? :D

How the hell this guy got it out of the saya is beyond me though. :S

However he got it out, I'd love to see this sword in all its glory. Is it an Odatchi and would it have been designed as an "Anti-cavalry" weapon? Or did Samurai warriors think along similar lines to their European counterparts and had their version of a large, 2-handed broadsword for all purposes?

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:59 am

simonatack wrote:However he got it out, I'd love to see this sword in all its glory. Is it an Odatchi and would it have been designed as an "Anti-cavalry" weapon? Or did Samurai warriors think along similar lines to their European counterparts and had their version of a large, 2-handed broadsword for all purposes?

I believe that Nodachi or O-tachi of this length were purely votive or ceremonial swords although some Ryuha still use them to good effect,allegedly...see link in previous post in this thread.
I'm not a professional historian of Nippon-to...just an amateur who's barely scratched the surface but from my own personal logical view,I can't see why a Nodachi of this size would have been designed purely as an anti-cavalry weapon when a Yari,Naginata or Nagamaki would have served the purpose far better for the Ashiguru (Infantry) IMHO.
You raise a good point which is well worthy of further discussion...if the spammers leave it alone. ;)

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Moon wrote:Don't seem quite so ridiculous now eh? :D

How the hell this guy got it out of the saya is beyond me though. :S

Deja Vu = the strange feeling you get, that you may have done this before.
I answered the same question with the very same picture years ago on another forum that no longer exists.
Sorry for posting on such an old topic, but I feel the question wasn't answered here in a very satisfactory way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiM-pcljtUw

This is the Koden Enshin Ryu, a japanese ryuha that practices Koryu Bujutsu (ancient martial arts) that has the study of the O-dachi as part of it's curriculem. The Odachi kata is performed by Fumon Tanaka, Grandmaster (soke) of the Koden Enshin ryu, he is also the author of many books on the Koryu Martial arts in Japan, unfortunately all written in Japanese.
In this video you can see the drawing and sheathing of O-dachi quite well.
A much better example than some guy swinging his O-dachi around in his backyard.
Another japanese style famous for it's use of the O-dachi is the Kage ryu. you can find more information on this style here;

http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage1.html
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Semper cogitatio.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 pm

That's quite strange, someone posting their first post of the forum trying to answer a old post, using a link already given....and then feels a flash of deja vu? :eek1: lol
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 pm

geordie hi
if this is the dotanuki i think it is what this guy dont know about katana,s and the samurai
aint worth knowing it would behove folkes to listen to what he has to say even if its a reply to
an old thread he,s the only guy id make an exseption for replying to old threads if thats you
dot from som its hello from mick (the blade master) :D and glad you took up my invite
mick
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Dotanuki2K

Postby Dotanuki2K » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey Mick,
Thanks for the compliments.
The post was just me "Howling at the Moon"
Just trying to get the attention of an old friend, letting him know I was here.
Figured that being here would be an easy way to stay in touch with my friends across the pond.

BTW, I answered the wrong thread, I meant for this to be in the blades UK forum question about O-dachi.
Mick, you know how it is when you get old and senile,LOL. It is easy to get confused.
Experience is is simply the name we give our mistakes

Return to “Sword Collectors Chat”