A bit Crazy

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Pip68

A bit Crazy

Postby Pip68 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi all :D
went a bit crazy this mouth got three swords, first I bought the Shingen Katana I got it before the ban, I then got the JGS Cavalry Sabre because I didn't have one and I liked the look of it, and then the miss's got me the Russian Sabre a big surprise to me, and compared to the Cavalry Sabre is vary light.
But can someone please tell me why the rings I assume for hanging the sword from the belt are on the outer curve of the scabbard.
All help appreciated

matrix

Re: A bit Crazy

Postby matrix » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Geord wrote:i actualy prefer the aborted donkey foetus. carrie fisher is just too..... stern, good body and alll but the face of an 80 year old lesbian hammer toss teacher

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:08 pm

matrix wrote:http://forum.blades-uk.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15463&hilit=rings
anything here help? ;)

lol wrong sort of rings

its to make it easier to draw from a horse i believe, similar to a tachi with edge down carry ;)

Pip68

Postby Pip68 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:23 am

thanks guys, I knew I could count you to help. :D

matrix

Postby matrix » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:10 pm

help?
i was bloody useless! :oops:
i missed the slightly important detail of the rings being on the scabbard, doh!
Geord wrote:i actualy prefer the aborted donkey foetus. carrie fisher is just too..... stern, good body and alll but the face of an 80 year old lesbian hammer toss teacher

Pip68

Postby Pip68 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Hey matrix I learnt something from going to that link thank mate :D

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 pm

This just doesn't look right to me somehow...
http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=2628
...if these are suspension rings and I can't see what else they could be,the blade would be carried edge up,same as the katana and the D guard would also be facing up,making it more awkward to draw surely. :S
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Moon wrote:This just doesn't look right to me somehow...
http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=2628
...if these are suspension rings and I can't see what else they could be,the blade would be carried edge up,same as the katana and the D guard would also be facing up,making it more awkward to draw surely. :S

I agree, that looks wrong it would be a pain to draw it...

i am guessing thats a mistake surely :|

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:48 pm

skippydm wrote:i am guessing thats a mistake surely :|

I honestly don't know skip'...I've been trying to think of some kind of advantage but can't see one as yet.I don't know much about sabres but every other one I've seen had the ring or rings on the opposite side...even the Japanese 1892 pattern Cavalry sabre and WWII 'katana' were carried edge down,tachi style.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Pip68

Postby Pip68 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Could it be a place for attaching braiding too, their seems to be a dip or indentation near the top on the inside of the scabbard close to the D guard, perhaps for a belt? you can see it in the picture link above other than that I haven't got a clue

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:54 am

everything i can find in my books and on the internet shows the sabres of most every military faction with rings on the scabbard "opposite" the quillion/hand guard D. not on the same side as the shown product.
which would be the logical place for them to be to have the blade hanging correctly for drawing etc.
i would hazard that the model shown is an innacuracy...
the calvary sabre was designed for use at "waist height" when on horse back...ie: foot targets being sliced at the same level as your hips when on horseback..so i would suggest blade down hanging to be the best method for sure.

http://www.bond.cz/www/austerlitz/uniform1_eng.htm

this is as good as i can find of a period uniform with a sabre...certainly on the top left you can see the sabre is hung blade down...ie curving backwards...therefore hangfing rings on the scabbard would be opposite the quillion/handguard

simonatack

Postby simonatack » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Just picked up on this thread and seen the pic and comments. I don't like to be disrespectful to a person's property if it gives him/her pleasure to own. But if authenticity, even for a repro, is at issue then, no, this is clearly an error as, this particular arrangement would mean the sabre is worn with the knucklebow up and that would impede a disciplined, uniform draw from the scabbards of a troop on command. Hence, at no time were sabres ever carried blade up like a katana, as this one suggests.

Pip68

Postby Pip68 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I think its an error to, but what to do? :cry: I still like the sword

Iron Donkey

Postby Iron Donkey » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 am

Yeah that is definately an error. I don't think there's much you can do though. It's still a very nice piece by the looks of it and so I don't think it matters too much. :007:
-Insert witty and pretentious quotation here

simonatack

Postby simonatack » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:19 pm

If you get pleasure from this sabre, Pip, then, that's the most important thing always, regardless of anyone else's opinion. As to what you can do to refit the scabbard's girth-straps that hold the hangerstrap rings, the right way round; maybe the guys at BUK are the best to advise you. Other than that, I'd say leave well alone and enjoy owning it as it is. It has a bit of curio value for itself, if nothing else. ;)

Return to “Sword Collectors Chat”