Claymore display mountings

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Rhodie

Claymore display mountings

Postby Rhodie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi Folks,
Anyone here have any experience of mounting a Barnet Claymore on a wall?
I've managed a tempory lashup using a baracket I had lying around [dunno what it was for originally] that looks a bit like a flattened shark hook with a twin hole plate where the hooks eyelet would be :S And a picture hanger for the live end of the blade. However it looks like what it is a bleeding lashup, and I'd like something better.

The main problem is the depth of the blade with the langolets in front of the crossguard, its pretty thick nigh on 2" if you want it clear of the wall. Then there is the blade width at that point.
So it would seem to require a bracket that is at least 4" x 2" that would be offset from a wall by about 2.5" and be pretty sturdy for the hilt end of the sword and a much lighter bracket for the opposite end with aprox the same dimensions.

Any ideas?

I'm actually left wondering how anyone incl a really brawny scot could ever have used one.. its pretty damm heavy :D
Rhodie

liquidator96

Re: Claymore display mountings

Postby liquidator96 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 pm

I know it may sound absurd, but have you tried clothes hooks?
As for the weight, from what I have seen, Barnett Swords are about half the price of other manufacturers, but weigh twice as much as other manufacturers swords, like Hanwei, Dark Sword Armoury, etc.
Best of luck, :D

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Wall hooks and fishing wire, can't go wrong with some ingenuity and a trip to B&Q ;)
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Rhodie

Postby Rhodie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 pm

liquidator96 wrote:I know it may sound absurd, but have you tried clothes hooks?
As for the weight, from what I have seen, Barnett Swords are about half the price of other manufacturers, but weigh twice as much as other manufacturers swords, like Hanwei, Dark Sword Armoury, etc.
Best of luck, :D

Thats an idea :D Didnt thnk of clothes hooks, thought of large brass cop hooks, but decided they might not be up to the job :S
Yeah it weighs in at heavyweight alright.. Trouble is 'IF' I had the dosh now and had a contact in the smithing line I would have gone
for custom sword.. Since I'm fresh out of both, I got the barnet jobbie :D Got the barnet hand and a half as well, that went up easy tho.. ;)
Thanks for your idea

Regards,
Rhodie

Rhodie

Postby Rhodie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Wall hooks and fishing wire, can't go wrong with some ingenuity and a trip to B&Q ;)

Hah, yup 2 or so problems :S [1] Wall is panelled.
[2] Behind the panneling is a damm solid wall [killed 4 masonry drills doing same number of holes] :cry:

However a trip to B&Q is on the cards :D if for no other reason to get new masonry drill bits and have a look at what they have in stock
that might suit.

I used a panel border upright to fix my heavy duty lashup too, and the picture hook at the blade tip end is fixed with a steel pin so only
minor hole in the panelling, easy to patch.

I originally come from tyneside :D Gosforth... but that was a considerable time ago :D

Regards
Rhodie

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Perhaps uploading a photo of the sword may give us a better idea of what's wrong?

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm

1 try the stand section
2 on page one take a look a the 8th item down
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Just another idea, have you tried using a 'liquid nails' type of product, I know Toolstation & Screwfix have there own branded products, it be worth a look if your having trouble drilling holes,
all the best, Martin. :D

Rhodie

Postby Rhodie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 pm

the blade master wrote:1 try the stand section
2 on page one take a look a the 8th item down

I've found a good workaround :D
In case its of use to anyone else with a similar problem, this is what I have done.
[1] obtain 1 piece of timber/wood [planed all round] 5" in length, 1.5" in width and .75" in depth.
[2] obtain from B&Q or other hardware dealer 2 x 3" rod hangers [used for wardrobe clothes rods or curtain rods]
These have an oblong base with 2 predrilled holes and a shaft from the centre of the base out aprox 2.75" to a round
rod holder[ like a flattened ring]
[3] pre drill 4 holes. 2 at each end to stress relieve the wood where the rod hangers will be screwed to the wood.
[4] pre drill 2 larger holes in the centre to the wood one above the other, this to mount the assenbly on the wall.
[5] using suitable size screws secure both rod holders to the ends of the woodend section.
[6] using larger screws mount the assy horizontally on the wall [or whatever surface] at an appropriate hight.
[7] mount sword by placing crossguard over the tops of the rod hangers [for additional security thread a small rod
through the rings of the rod hangers].

The trouble I had with mounting kits on site is that there are NO dimensions given for the kits, as it stands I ordered
2 x broadsword mounts, however only 1 of them was suitable, used it on the hand anda half Barnet ordered at the same time..
The 2nd mount wasnt suitable for the Claymore, scissor arms were too small and did'nt allow for any lateral adjustment, hence
my original quessie :D
Regards
Rhodie

Rhodie

Postby Rhodie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:04 pm

liquidator96 wrote:Just another idea, have you tried using a 'liquid nails' type of product, I know Toolstation & Screwfix have there own branded products, it be worth a look if your having trouble drilling holes,
all the best, Martin. :D

ARRRGGHH.... That stuff is the equiv of the Canadian PL Premium builders GLUE.. You cant get stuff off once its been fixed in place without damaging the surrounding area.. I've even seen it used to bond rawl bolts into brickwork to hang a deck off. :D

If you screw something in place its easy to remove and not too difficult to patch afterwards :D
Still thanks for the thought...

Regards
Rhodie

Rhodie

Postby Rhodie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Perhaps uploading a photo of the sword may give us a better idea of what's wrong?

Theres a piccie on BUK website :D Basically the problem boiled down to the width of the crossguard area its nigh on 1.5" thick, and at the langolets its 1.25"
So getting something that could be fixed to a panel upright and protrude about 2.5" to 3" outward on which to place the Claymore crossguard to mount the
sword vertically is required. Its too heavy to mount insecurely, if it came off the wall by accident anyone in its path would require hospitalisation in all probibility :-x

I dont have too many visitors but I'd not even like my cat to be anywhere near a falling barnet claymore :S
'IF' its a full copy of an existing scots weapon down to its weight, then I take me hat off the anyone who used one for more than 10mins :D
Hell my ancestors used to rieve across the border in the old days.. but I doubt anyone helped themselves to one of them unless it was for bragging rights :D

Regards
Rhodie

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 pm

I use a broad sword hanger on the stands section of the site to hang my hanwei claymore, they screw out to adjust for cross guard sizes, the Chen claymore handles with ease, not sure if the Barnett has balance issues? Even the CS two handed greatsword is nice to handle lol

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I've used coat hooks for many a sword. Just be sure you dont buy flimsey arsed cheap ones and you'll be fine
Pimp or die baby!

Return to “Sword Collectors Chat”