traditional samurai dress/weapons

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

the blade master

Re: traditional samurai dress/weapons

Postby the blade master » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 pm

you know i cant belive the kids and i use to watch it and an ancient chinese peasent wearing a wrist watch you got to laugh tho lol
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Yea, you can tell continuity and historical accuracy weren't on the agenda, but it was still good IMO
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Lol monkey magic was a japanese dhow pretending to be Chinese, the main guy was later on a cooking show I can't recall the name of, the series itself comes from the book monkey which was a cut down version for the west made about 100 years ago or so its rather recent.

Monkey comes from journey to the west by wu cheng'en written in the 15th century tho its much older then that, he cobbled the old stories and poems into a book. Monkey is sun wukong, pigsy is a rapist you know hes not very nice and his name is brother pig or wu bejin I think it is hes not reffered to by name much, the other is brother sand whos barely referred to at all, the main dude is not a child hes an old monk a reincarnation of the golden cicada called xuanzang and he was a real guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuanzang

Buy the book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-West-Chengen-Wu/dp/7119016636

And then buy outlaws of the marsh also by beijing foreign language press otherwish known as the water margin

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:17 pm

you know im all most certain there was a seiries called the water margin on telly in the late 70,s i used to watch
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:20 pm

And I'm almost certain that monkey was the inspiration behind dragon ball z?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm

You are both right, the itv extra channels show the water msrgin from time it time, it was a damn sight better then monkey, I also liked gods of honour based on the book creation of the gods, didn't understand a word of it as it was all in chinese but it looked good, equally I can't find an english version of that book even tho its been around since 16 something.

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

The Water Margin was one of my favorite shows in the 70's, I just wish I could get them on dvd, :D

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:31 pm

martin you can download them from utube using realplayer then transfer them to my pictures
from there burn them to dvd thats how i do it got some nice films that way you cant burn them
from realplayer direct as that facility dont come with the free version

ps
theres also a downloader called utube downloader free from (cnet free downloads)
ive used both with good results you might be able to get utube downloader direct from
utube as i did
forum moderator

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Cheers Mick, I'll look into that, :D

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 pm

the blade master wrote:curvey eh bloody heathen lols seriously tho did you notice how many were carried tachi style tho
plus the archers and the stirrups completley different to the western ones and some rather interesting
tanto's as well as other weapons

Samurai probably never set eyes on Western style stirrups until after Emperor Meiji abolished their class Mick and some of the pics are not of Samurai but Court officials etc. carrying tam-bo/tam-jo, a short bo/jo about 18" long in a scabbard.

No, it's not short for a tambourine. :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 am

You can buy the water margin and monkey dvd boxsets for about 50 quid they have been out ages. Might be worth checking hmv for em since they are having a we are screwed sale on. Tho i've never seen them in a shop only online.

Return to “Sword Collectors Chat”