The cost of Christmas...

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

the blade master

Re: The cost of Christmas...

Postby the blade master » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Is that the same one I've got with the bamboo inlayed saya? If so sell your tv or something instead theres never anything on tv anyway.

it is lw
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 pm

*shakes head* sell the tv, the cloths on your back anything after all lets face it things like that are easy to come by, might even manage to get one again on freecycle or in a sale, better to sell many cheap and easy to come by items first imo.

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:45 am

Well it was a fairly easy decision believe it or not, it was either the Chen tori xl, the soshu kitae buffalo, or the special edition bamboo. I know the two I'd rather keep, still, sad to see any of em go. :|
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:15 am

ok whats the bet its the chen
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Always loved the Tori
Pimp or die baby!

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Yea, keeping the Chen and the soshi kitae buffalo, I think I'll be buried with them two at my funeral.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:01 pm

well in that case I had better get in touch with burke and hare :>
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:19 pm

the blade master wrote:well in that case I had better get in touch with burke and hare :>

Showing your age now Mick, do you remember the trial too? :mrgreen:
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:27 pm

remember ?? I was on the jury
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 pm

the blade master wrote:remember ?? I was on the jury

Oooh! you ickle fibber - inmates of lunatic asylums weren't allowed to out to do jury service. :>

Back on topic:
I reckon that the Tori and the Buffalo are the ones to keep out of the three mentioned.
The Bamboo looks 'all fur coat and no knickers' to me but then I've never handled any of them so I could be completely wrong - I'm sure that I have been wrong at some time in the past although I really can't remember when. :mrgreen:
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 pm

I did bribe the judge till some one told him my address was at bedlam nut ty 1

oh remember sometime back when I described a kats hamon to some one as a ghost hamon
and dot said that's how a real hamon should look like (or something along those lines) well
that's what the hamon is like on the bamboo katana moon it did say in the official blurb for
the bamboo kat that it had a proper clay tempered hamon I,ll do some pics if you would like to see some
the blade is in the highest polish the best ive seen in a modern production katana including the kissaki?? area
which as you know is usually just filed sanded or otherwise finished to differentiat it from the rest of the blade
the hamon gose from the hibaki all through to the tip of the blade too not seen on most production kats
to be honest j with my limited knowledge this thing has the knickers even if the fur is faux lols :D
mick :D
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Yea, the hamon on bamboo is something special, its faint yet strikingly distinct at the same time and the finish oozes quality. But the buffalo has a great hamon too, and its folded and laminated.

Moon, all fur coat and no knickers is something Japanese businessmen pay a lot of money for lol.

Ps I got an appraisal from loz, it should go for around £450-500.

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Moon, all fur coat and no knickers is something Japanese businessmen pay a lot of money for lol.

Yeah, me too if had a lot of money and wasn't married. :D
I'm just yanking your chain, I'm sure it's a great sword, just the saya isn't for me is all. ;)

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 pm

well that's allright then innit :D but as you say you either love or hate the saya for me it offers something
different from the usuall black fare offerd by most manufacturers ;)
forum moderator

Geordie Ross

Postby Geordie Ross » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Moon wrote:
Geordie Ross wrote:Moon, all fur coat and no knickers is something Japanese businessmen pay a lot of money for lol.

Yeah, me too if had a lot of money and wasn't married. :D
I'm just yanking your chain, I'm sure it's a great sword, just the saya isn't for me is all. ;)

Yea as mick said, its a marmite saya, I wasnt too impressed at the pics before buying, but when I seen it up close, it really is brilliant. Still, kind of looks a bit like the decking you'd find on a luxury yacht.

Return to “Sword Collectors Chat”