58%
2lb 3oz Orcid
30%
4lb 8oz kami
12%

Total votes: 43

cabbagedude

Post by cabbagedude » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34 pm

The weight would help build up strength.

Logan, which one are you in your sig?

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34 pm

cabbagedude wrote:The weight would help build up strength.

Logan, which one are you in your sig?
I'm not in the sig pic - its an old one I pulled from our re-enactment website. The avatar photo was taken this weekend.

Dead Daig

Post by Dead Daig » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:37 pm

drifting off-topic here, fellas - try and keep it on, ok?

cabbagedude

Post by cabbagedude » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:37 pm

I see, do you also do medievil reenactments with just swords?

Satori

Post by Satori » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:46 pm

Perhaps but it would never be as fast as one of the others.

cabbagedude

Post by cabbagedude » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:56 pm

But it would be much stronger.

Does anyone know where some of the extra weight is? If it was at the tip, it would be really strong.

Satori

Post by Satori » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:07 pm

How would it be stronger? Strength and weight don't run parallel :roll:

cabbagedude

Post by cabbagedude » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:10 pm

I mean you'd be able to strike with more force.

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:42 pm

I see that the votes are all equal orcid for its blade length an fittings the tiger for its cutting ability and fittings and the kami for its top quality fittings. Asfare as the weight is concerned I admit if you built up strength then the 2kg katana could be used fine but think about this say it was a actual katana battle between two people who would win? The heavy bulky person with a heavy katana or the agil person with the lighter katana if im correct the purpose of the katan was speed and cutting the kami has cutting sorted but not speed. Even with huge forearms 2kg is 2kg the other katanas would just seem feather light and the kami would still be average weight see what I mean. Anyway continue the voting aparently the tiger is the most popular but im yet to see this on the poll. Please keep posts to just the topic otherwise people will have a hard time finding the important facts and opinions. Thanks to everyone who has already osted with there views.

Cluster Lizard

Post by Cluster Lizard » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:45 pm

Having received some good advice from you guys I am now considering a PC folded blade. My faves at the moment are the Orchid and the Bushido. I know the Bushido isn't on the poll but would be grateful if you could provide your views, so far the only downer on it appears to be the colour which I don't actually mind :shock:

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:01 pm

Bushido - weight an amazing 1lb 10oz the lightest of all the PC folded blades and forged blades. the blade is made to the same standard the only real difference is that the sword has lower quality fittings than the others thus reducing the price. This allows people to buy a quality folded blade without the expensive fittings. Thats all I really know about it if your happy with the tsuba and wrapping and arnt botherd about the fittings then its a great sword at a great price. Im curious why you dont consider the tiger its £640 when out of stock? thats cheaper than the orcid and supposidly the most saught after professional katana.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:16 pm

Ied go fer the Orchid, because its lighter and I prefer it over the other 2 looks wise.

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:33 pm

Chaos wrote:
a physically strong person will obviously find a heavy blade easier to wield and use it with more control than a wealer person, but a heavy sword isn't nessesarily slower than a lighter one, momentum generated by a heavy blade can lead to ferocious speed, the problem often is recovery, a katana is primarily a slashing sword, and slashes are as damaging as the force behind the blow,thus for someone with much strenth a heavy blade would suitable for those who err on the side of brute force. an agile person with a lighter weapon could with correct technique could still cut very strongly. just because a big man has a big heavy sword doesn't gaurantee him victory, just as the weaker but faster man with the lighter blade is isn't certified to win.

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:21 pm

Im suprised to see the tiger with only 2 votes?

Satori

Post by Satori » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:29 pm

kenshin the endymion wrote:
Chaos wrote:
a physically strong person will obviously find a heavy blade easier to wield and use it with more control than a wealer person, but a heavy sword isn't nessesarily slower than a lighter one, momentum generated by a heavy blade can lead to ferocious speed, the problem often is recovery, a katana is primarily a slashing sword, and slashes are as damaging as the force behind the blow,thus for someone with much strenth a heavy blade would suitable for those who err on the side of brute force. an agile person with a lighter weapon could with correct technique could still cut very strongly. just because a big man has a big heavy sword doesn't gaurantee him victory, just as the weaker but faster man with the lighter blade is isn't certified to win.
I know what you're saying, but as has been said many times before, it's technizue rather than brute force. As a result, even a strong person who could weild the Kami like a normal person with a Tiger or Orchid, it shows that they would still be able to have even better control over one of those lighter katana. I'd rather have a light fast katana than a heavy cleaver type katana.