Morgan

Post by Morgan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:52 pm

Bushido, but as its not there the Kami.

Wish i could get one in dark purple... :lick:

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:35 pm

Chaos wrote:
kenshin the endymion wrote:
Chaos wrote: Perhaps but it would never be as fast as one of the others.
a physically strong person will obviously find a heavy blade easier to wield and use it with more control than a wealer person, but a heavy sword isn't nessesarily slower than a lighter one, momentum generated by a heavy blade can lead to ferocious speed, the problem often is recovery, a katana is primarily a slashing sword, and slashes are as damaging as the force behind the blow,thus for someone with much strenth a heavy blade would suitable for those who err on the side of brute force. an agile person with a lighter weapon could with correct technique could still cut very strongly. just because a big man has a big heavy sword doesn't gaurantee him victory, just as the weaker but faster man with the lighter blade is isn't certified to win.
I know what you're saying, but as has been said many times before, it's technizue rather than brute force. As a result, even a strong person who could weild the Kami like a normal person with a Tiger or Orchid, it shows that they would still be able to have even better control over one of those lighter katana. I'd rather have a light fast katana than a heavy cleaver type katana.

i would like a balance of both probably. at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.everything starts with choice. as i'm quite strong i wouldn't mind a heavyish blade.there is no right or wrong here, just choice and life is about choice.

olimorgan

Post by olimorgan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:13 pm

i prefer the tiger from what i've seen and read

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:17 pm

Hmm, i said tiger... but the bushido should be in there, i'd've voted for that :-D

i'm sooo geting one when my sword money starts going up instead of down without any new swords. :cry:

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:30 pm

well i voted for the tiger in my opinion its the best all round sword on the poll list and is by all acounts the best from a martial artist point of view as well...i am biased however in so far as i own a tiger 8)
it has the best balance of all the swords i currently own (however my recently aquired atrimm bastard sword is a very close second) it has real presence "in hand" and is wonderfull to look at, the richly laquered and subtle inlay of the saya is sublime and the quailty of the rest of the fittings is in keeping with the superb folded blade with bo-hi.

kind regards

darksun_uk

kenshin the endymion

Post by kenshin the endymion » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:57 pm

interesting that the majority has gone to the tiger which i voted for myself!

el tigregrande

Post by el tigregrande » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:22 pm

TIGER! :-D

Belikewater

Post by Belikewater » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:35 pm

I thought it was starnge the tiger wasent getting votes i guess the tiger fans just logged on lol. Its been an interesting poll though and im sure others will vote in time thanks to everyone who has voted so fare.

Satori

Post by Satori » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:36 pm

kenshin the endymion wrote:
Chaos wrote:
kenshin the endymion wrote: a physically strong person will obviously find a heavy blade easier to wield and use it with more control than a wealer person, but a heavy sword isn't nessesarily slower than a lighter one, momentum generated by a heavy blade can lead to ferocious speed, the problem often is recovery, a katana is primarily a slashing sword, and slashes are as damaging as the force behind the blow,thus for someone with much strenth a heavy blade would suitable for those who err on the side of brute force. an agile person with a lighter weapon could with correct technique could still cut very strongly. just because a big man has a big heavy sword doesn't gaurantee him victory, just as the weaker but faster man with the lighter blade is isn't certified to win.
I know what you're saying, but as has been said many times before, it's technizue rather than brute force. As a result, even a strong person who could weild the Kami like a normal person with a Tiger or Orchid, it shows that they would still be able to have even better control over one of those lighter katana. I'd rather have a light fast katana than a heavy cleaver type katana.

i would like a balance of both probably. at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.everything starts with choice. as i'm quite strong i wouldn't mind a heavyish blade.there is no right or wrong here, just choice and life is about choice.
I agree, but i think there's a point one shouldn't go beyond, and that's personal preference. I think that a 3lb blade is enough for cutting ad when strength allows, speed.

michael_collins_2000_ie

Post by michael_collins_2000_ie » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:44 am

Orchid, just to make my GO feel jealous, damn that things pretty.

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:10 pm

tomo_san wrote:the kami is a quality piece but i think id be scared to cut with it incase i damaged it,
I see that alot of people are scared not to damage theirs sword.

Is it so easy to make some visible damage on the sword??

Can the sword be damaged if you only cut lets say small trees, branches, cardboard,bambo sticks etc???

olimorgan

Post by olimorgan » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:18 pm

you can quite often get quite small scratches that oil or polish out with a powder ball, you shouldn't cut small branches though

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:22 pm

Well, I will soon own Cold steel 88bk sword. That is a sword for practise...
And it shouldnt be used to cut branches??Aint these bracnches to soft vs the blade?

How can they damage the sword?

olimorgan

Post by olimorgan » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:24 pm

unless you got the straighest cleanest cut then you'd get little splinters scratching your blade and read this http://forum.blades-uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5175

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:29 pm

I see, Ok than i shouldnt go for hard wood only the soft green one...