Who would want a stainless steel sword?!

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Rookie

Post by Rookie » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:51 pm

:?
Let it never be said I'm normal... [???] 8)

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:02 pm

i dont saee whats wrong with a REAL display sword.

those fantasy lotr sword are fine as ss but when its swords that can be easily found and reasonble priced i dont see the point.

belgarion

Post by belgarion » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:11 pm

what I'm saying is though, is that if there were 2 swords - exactly the same except that one was CS and the other SS, they would be differently priced. If the difference was small, then sure, i'd save the extra bit and get the CS because its better quality, but if the price difference was big (as is usually the case) then I woudln't.

The big problem with SS swords in my opinion, isn't so much the sword itself, but it seems that more often than not SS swords have crappy fitting etc as well. The LOTR swords area f ine example of SS swords with GOOD fittings, but generally the SS swords are crappy but not because of the metal used. In that respect I agree. I'm merely arguing what I said above - two identical swords, one SS and one CS there wouldn't be much difference.

Ghafrash

Post by Ghafrash » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:26 pm

A friend of mine bought a SS katana a while ago. But it was in terrible condition. The blade and the tsuba were loose and the wrapping on the handle was comming off. He told me that he never tried cutting anything with it or anything like that. Seeing that kinda turned me off from SS swords.

Alot of SS swords, you can just tell by looking at them that they are poor quality. I don't think I'll ever buy a SS katana but for something like a claymore or battle axe, I would.

belgarion

Post by belgarion » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:30 pm

Like I say though, its not the SS thats the problem, its the sh*tiness of the other parts. Its kinda hard to judge though. Just don't go for the real cheap stuff. Mid price will be ok, But if you're going to spend alot of money it may as well be CS.

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:19 am

my self would never EVER buy a ss kat. probally other type swords if i cant get CS. but im not much of a fan of west swords.

belgarion

Post by belgarion » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:20 am

fair enough - As i said in a previous post, I guess it notices more with Sam/jap swords as they need to be cut much finer.

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:13 pm

belgarion wrote:I've never seen the big deal about CS to be honest. I only want wall hangers - something which alot of peeps on here seem to find offensive - so SS is just as good for that purpose. If i ever want a fully functional sword, then I'd obviously go for CS but when I only want display sword, why pay sh*tloads more for what is essentially the same sword?

Thats my view anyways
thats a fair point however as has been mentioned in this post as elsewhere the problem with any replica sword is the balance and edge geometry as these swords are not made from a functional perspective what you end up with may look good (at least to the casual observer) but will not feel and balance as a real carbon steel version of that sword design would because it is not real thats the issue that a lot of collectors have trouble with and why there is a steady trade in people making real functional lotr replicas etc as some people want the feeling of a real blade that there favorite character etc would have used, of course as with any movie franchise plenty of people will simply buy the official replicas and be more than happy with them (and they are good) and thats fine but there are as i have said valid reasons why people would not want them and would make the effort to get something more to there taste....

i think the museam collection for the lotr range is being made specifically to cash in on this market and i for one hope the designs in carbon steel will display the level of quality and to an extent functionality that is a requirement for some collectors (i.e. me).
belgarion wrote:fair enough - As i said in a previous post, I guess it notices more with Sam/jap swords as they need to be cut much finer.
no not really the edge geometry is similar ro some wetern sword types butthe hardend edge can take a sharper polish however any advantage of this is countered by the increased risk of chipping and breaking under use as the through tempered western sword may not hold as fine an edge but its spring temper makes it a lot more resilient and less likely to chip/break etc...then again if you look at the custom sword market a lot of cross over blade styles and tempering methods are used where looks are important and the likely use of the piece is to be on disply rather than used in a dojo or in a re-enactor context or for test cutting etc....and historically speaking comparisons between euro and jap/asin blades are largely pointless because the 2 cultures never fought each other with these weapons...

kind regards

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:00 pm

i dunno how this whole stainless/carbon arguement or debate came about. the way i see it, i mean you shouldn't put down the stainless steel ones for display purposes, but as someone has already said sometimes the fittings e.g the tsuka can be not very well put together, and if it has relatively no tang, its ONLY suitable as display. Also, i don't really understand why you'd want a fully functional carbon steel blade just to cut junk up in your garden? i'm not trying to get at anyone by the way, and i dont want this post to seem as a whine at the people owning cs blades, but like tameshigiri was apparently quite dissrespectful to the sword and its maker, unless tameshigiri was required in testing the blade after construction? anyways, i'm not sure how this will be interpreted by people, but i can only hope its interpreted as my honest opinion to a topic.

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:16 pm

same could be said for SS display swords, why would you want something thats cheap and not functional on your wall?

also we arnt in the days of testing our swords on prisoners so thats why theres tameshigiri cuttings. I would also say it is dissrespectful using most nihonto swords on tatmi mats but, there isnt many who will do that, but for the production swords theres not a problem.

Andy S

Post by Andy S » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:21 am

also we arnt in the days of testing our swords on prisoners
Maybe we should start again. What!! Did I just say that out loud?!? 8)

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 am

hehe ;D

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:39 am

Andy S wrote:Maybe we should start again.
maybe we should. like this peterson fellow...killed his wife and unborn child, not sure if any of you know (american news). but we are just gonna let him rot in prison untill we drag him out and kill him, people like might as well be used for SOME good...such as testing our steel :-D

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:11 pm

Wasnt Peterson trying to blame it on occult influences and getting his defence shredded fer it?

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:32 pm

ummm...not really sureto be honest, possibly though
i know he got cought lieing like 10 times...so its a definate possiblity