who makes the best katana on the market

Share your knowledge of sword history, sword use and forging processes here

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Mumtazb

Post by Mumtazb » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:33 am

michael_collins_2000_ie wrote:
Mumtazb wrote:If you want a real authentic sword then Paul Chen ISNT the way to go. Many reports of chipped edges, blades snapping during standard tamehigiri cutting and so on....Look at getting something custom made by a good smith who has a good reputation ...plenty of research needed before you can make an informed choice as to which smith you want a commission from
And have you actually owned a hanwei blade? Cut with it? I myself own a Golden Oriole, first generation, ive chipped it once by hitting it against a metal lampshade accidentally, very near the kissaki, totally unnoticable. Other people have chipped their (and i do stress this) 150 pound sterling practical katanas by abuse, but thats life, for the money paid, you cannot beat a hanwei blade. The good thing about the chen blades is that theyre

-Practical
-Affordable
-Have a good reputation, ive not heard a single person here complain about them.
-Easy to acquire in this country, since BUK dont stock LL or bugei blades, thats nothing to do with BUK and not a sleight against them

Chen blades have a very good reputation on this forum and ive heard at least a hundred and fifty people here give them an excellent review. True theyre made in china, but theyre made the traditional way, if you want to pay money for a smith's blade, go ahead, i wish you the best of luck, just dont knock people who bought paul chen blades for the fact that they cannot simply throw away a few grand to buy a blade.

Just a last wee point Kumdo, whats your budget?

I have owned 3, one was an old Last Legend Spirit of the Shogun sword made by Paul Chen . An excellent blade.
Another was a folded orchid, I also owned a PC wakizashi. Many of my friends own PC stuff, so I'm still around the stuff a lot.
All the Paul Chen stuff I have owned or my friends own is a good few years old. Never had any major problems with chipping, and none of these swords have ever snapped clean in half after tameshigiri.
However, it is my firm belief that the stuff coming out of Hanwei forge lately is, and I'll be blunt, a pile of cak. The huge increase in demand for Paul Chen stuff has caused the quality control to slip , and in some cases it has slipped a great deal.
Recent reports about blades snapping or very deep chips have surfaced on a few other forums. Look around and you'll find many threads.
One well known polisher used to polish Paul Chen stuff. The last Paul Chen blade he polished was a folded blade. He mentioned that it was so brittle the edge just began to crumble away when he put it to the stone.
I'm not knocking anybody who buys PC, been there and done that myself. the PC stuff is usually the most common place to start when people get into swords, and you made a few good points about the advantages of PC blades , availability etc.
Generally, many people start at the Practical kat level and as time goes on they want something better.
I just feel that newcomers to swords are in an unfortunate position these days when buying PC stuff , simply because of the qulaity control issue. Too ,much of a risk in getting a dodgy blade.
Having said that Bugei are usually very fussy about quality and performance , so their PC stuff is usually very good. Bear in mind one guy's Bugei blade chipped when he whacked a plastic chair.
Many people term that abuse, but chipping against plastic? Forgive me for being fussy but I want a blade that can handle at least that kind of "abuse".
Blades snapping during standard cutting? On a bad cut they should bend at worst, not snap clean in half. Quite dangerous.

For anybody buying or thinkin of buying a Paul Chen sword, dont let me put you off and dont feel that I'm knocking you. I've owned PC stuff myself and many of my friends and fellow martial artists still do. Just look around at all your options.

Edited for silly typos

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:43 pm

i agree with mumtazb, i wont cut heavy targets with my ppk, i dont want it to snap and stick in me :D why risk it

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:20 pm

I just my ppk and I couldn't be happier...I have heard they are dull, its EXTREMELY sharp, I have already cut myself oiling it once, then was just an accidental rub along the edge with a little pressure and it drew blood. It is solidly built and I have cut with it many times with no problems at all.

And the part about Chen items getting worse and worse...I here a lot of stories about the old generations being pure sh*t and snapping, but noone ever says they have any problems with the new generations.

Ogami Itto

Post by Ogami Itto » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:53 pm

I know someone, he won first price in Tokyo, but its not allowed to name someone here......sorry. :twisted:

michael_collins_2000_ie

Post by michael_collins_2000_ie » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:04 am

Seems a lot like quality control with airsoft companies. Some are great, others are lemons, thats the problem when you consider that theyre hand made. No two are the same. Im sorry i hit out a bit at you mumtazb, just defending my sword lol.

Mumtazb

Post by Mumtazb » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:16 am

It's cool Michael...
You know what, I find that people with a strong interest and that urge to find a better sword eventually move on from the PK's and the PPK's. They are a good place to start in my opinion, but there is a real risk when doing heavy cutting.
On the other hand some people buy a PK and are so happy with it they never need to buy another sword again...that's cool too...whatever works for the individual

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:35 pm

I agree with kamui, there's a massive difference between the PC forged and folded ranges. I got a PPK and a Bushido and without the tag you wouldnt be able to tell the were made by the same people.

I've heard though, that the Last legend competition ranges are the best for the money and win a hell of a lot of cutting competitions but I've not seen any Bugei swords so not sure how they compare.

Last legend prices seem to compare with the PC ones, ending at about £900, but I dont think they look as good as the bushido or golden oriole for e.g.

Stazbumpa

Post by Stazbumpa » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:23 pm

As far as I can tell Last Legend are bloody good cutters, at the expense of having nice trimmings, whereas Bugei combine both looks and performance, but cost a lot more than Last Legend.

Blades by Chen have been sold by Bugei in the past, but the current consensus is that a Last Legend blade will perform better than the Chen one, but the Chen blade will have much nicer fittings and will look a lot better.

Bugei are thought to be better on both counts, but you pay much more for this.

Performance-wise, this is all relative however, as its all in the technique of cutting rather than the actual blade itself. For the record, my next sword is more than likely going to be a LL.

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:28 pm

Which one you looking at in particular?

Stazbumpa

Post by Stazbumpa » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:06 pm

Was looking at the Mk IV non folded blade with the shobu zukuri geometery. But I'm actually going to wait now until the new range appear in the next month or so.

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:32 pm

I cant find any pics of genuine bugei katanas on the net, i've searched google and altavista. anyone got any?

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:58 pm

lmao, have you not tried the..... *drum roll* ....bugei site? 8)

Barry the Time Sprout

Post by Barry the Time Sprout » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:48 pm

he he.... D'oh

Stazbumpa

Post by Stazbumpa » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:06 pm

You sir are indeed a sprout.

Well done.

NenMaster

Post by NenMaster » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:05 pm

if i was getting a LL sword i would pay for the nicer fittings.