Arguing on the Internet 101.

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Dr. Egg PHD
Location: 1.The act or process of locating 2.A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Arguing on the Internet 101.

Postby Dr. Egg PHD » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:31 am

Arguing on the internet, this is a guide to explain the different types and why it is- in fact -the most pointless thing possibly known to man.

Why? I hear you cry! Is this some sort of oppression on our views? Don't we have the right to free speech?

Well, no, you don't. But I’ll come onto that later.

Now I’m going to use this very appropriate example to explain my points:

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded."

Now, does this make you angry? Are you willing to give your life for the cause of disabled people? Does it boil up your blood and make you want to rip the head off a chicken? Yes? Good! It shows you have spunk. The problem here is, we don't care. In fact, when it comes to arguing, apart from the two people doing it, no one really cares.

Now, however, there is a difference between an argument and a debate; debates don't have;

1) Swearing (unless it's being used as a point in your reason)
2) Insulting (Absolutely not, usually the starting point of an argument)
3) Random points made without backup (either source or explanation)
4) Flailing of arms.

Any of the above points immediately causes the debate to become an argument between two people. This also forces the debate to become redundant, as once no sources or explanations are used there is no truth, ergo no absolution can be formed. It also alienates everyone else who might have been enjoying the debate.

Now, this doesn't cover all the types of clashes that occur, but I’ll try my best to explain all of them:

Flaming.

Contrary to popular belief, there are subtle differences between types of flaming, the word does not have one meaning.

1) The 'random insults with absolutely no points at all' flaming.

A typical argument goes like this.

No way fool! That car is RED!

Don't be so stupid you retarded idiot, its BLUE!

Whereas this type of flaming goes:

Yeah well I DID YOUR MOTHER YOU PENARSE!

DON'T LIE, SHE DOESN'T DO TRANSVESTITES!

Etc etc, this is the most pointless form, as it goes absolutely nowhere and is a total waste of bandwidth.

2) 'Everyone jump on the bandwagon' flaming.

This is the most common form, and we're all guilty of it, although it doesn't make it right. This occurs when someone says something really stupid or offensive, and then everyone on the planet feels it's their duty to call them an idiot. Its the 'all vs. one' scenario, and makes you no better than an episode of Big Brother. So if someone has already called them an idiot and explained why, don't do it again! If you have something really important to add to the conversation, then add it, just don't repeat what's already been said. Said. Said. Said.

That covers most of the types. So realise people, that at the end of the day you are not going to influence anyone buy screaming things at them with 'sh*t', 'f*ck' and 'testicular parasite' added to your sentences.

Moral arguments? Don't bother! When you're about to click the reply button, ask yourself, 'When was the last time I won a moral argument in real life?'. Realise that on the internet, people are safely behind keyboards and miles of cable, and are going to say things they usually wouldn't around real people. Remember this, and don't rise to them, as even with a debate it will come to no end, there is no chance.

And a couple of tips about us admin/mods:

1) Treat us with respect, we're not just here to censor, we help run the forum and keep it going. Remember that we provide a free service for you.
2) You do have no rights here. At all.
3) Our word is final, no questions asked. If there is a problem with a decision we will discuss it amongst ourselves, it's not your problem, don't make it yours.
4) We are not oppressing opinion, ever. This is why most of us do not like getting into debates, because when someone puts something insulting that needs to be removed, we get accused of 'oppressing opinion' and being all 'fascist'. It's not. If you want to have a debate don't be stupid, post nicely.

So, just follow these rules and you'll be fine:

A) Be nice
B) Don't swear
C) Think before you click
D) Don't say you're going to beat someone up, it makes you look like an idiot as we all know you're not going to.
E) The people behind the keyboards are still human, they have feelings, emotions and their own opinions. This about this before you lay into someone.
Hell is still overburdened,
I must stand and wait in line,
How have I been so determined malign.

Banzai Joe

Re: Arguing on the Internet 101.

Postby Banzai Joe » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Yeah well I DID YOUR MOTHER YOU PENARSE!

DON'T LIE, SHE DOESN'T DO TRANSVESTITES!

ROFL, LMMFAO...... :???: :???: magic!
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:34 am

Yea I thought that was particularlt class meself :???:
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Adurul

Postby Adurul » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:01 pm

I thought the whole post was pretty classy
"Simple as i can, i'll tell you, the difference, between a pencil and a pen"

Bugsy

Postby Bugsy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:28 pm

:') That one brought a tear, nice work Sam :P xxx
*°¤-.,_,.-¤°*^ßüG§¥^*°¤-.,_,.-¤°*

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Wed May 31, 2006 4:17 pm

HA, YA MOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Dr. Egg PHD
Location: 1.The act or process of locating 2.A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Postby Dr. Egg PHD » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:39 pm

holy god look at how long ago this was.

jesus

I must stand and wait in line,

How have I been so determined malign.

Maynar

Postby Maynar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:18 am

I'm new here.

So I'm just gonna "flail at arms" like it's 1999.

If y'all don't mind. :mrgreen:
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. And the number of the counting, shall be three.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm

you know maynar how long have you been able to talk to the dead :> lols
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

pjm

Postby pjm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 pm

"debates don't have;

1) Swearing (unless it's being used as a point in your reason)
2) Insulting (Absolutely not, usually the starting point of an argument)
3) Random points made without backup (either source or explanation)
4) Flailing of arms. "

ya aint ever seen some of the debates ive been in, most of them contain all 4

nothing like bringing the dead back
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:01 am

not another reserectionist :roll: ,lols
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Whats the point of this place if you cant f*cking swear and insult people ya prick hahaha :GGe

Only joking of course, an Admin must refrain from such things ;)
Pimp or die baby!

pjm

Postby pjm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Larnz wrote:Whats the point of this place if you cant f*cking swear and insult people ya prick hahaha :GGe

Only joking of course, an Admin must refrain from such things ;)

swearing is for those who like to tell people stuff that just dont get it, pry why i swear alot lolol
If i didn't have bad luck i would have no luck at all

Return to “General Chat”