Smoking ban for 2007

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:07 am

Would a smoke usually follow a J.Arthur....?

Just a thought.. 8)

matrix

Post by matrix » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:32 am

only if ya go reeeeaaaalllly fast! :twisted:

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

lol, i was thinking of the old 'climax then light up' scenario.

ooohhh....what an image i just conjured up. :S

Mother Bear

Post by Mother Bear » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Gaunt wrote:Diet coke, or more specifically Soft drinks, the diet ones especially contain Aspartame... linked with causing stomach cancer doesnt seem that out there to put a restriction on it. However this last one does differ from smoking and booze in that it doesnt effect the general public when it happens to you

At the end of the day there all vices....and their called vices because they have some form of detrimental effect therefore enough public opinion can effect any and all of them
I agree with Gaunt about the Aspartame thing, they are in most diet foods, not just diet soft drinks, the are in diet foods, yogurts, dinners etc! There are safer sweetners out there like splenda but the big companys wont change! :@

I also agree with the statement made about fast food too! I do eat some fast food some times but if they were not there I wouldn't eat any! I live down in the country so there are less fast food places. I am glad about this as my kids dont and wont be able to live on the stuff! :tut:

Tom2510

Post by Tom2510 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:27 pm

The Only Fast Food places around me are chippys, most of em suck!

Good for my health? Sure but i would murder for a big mac :D

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:44 pm

Tom2510 wrote:Good for my health? Sure but i would murder for a big mac :D
Or the Big Mac could murder you. (H)

Tom2510

Post by Tom2510 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:22 pm

Well that is a good point :)

Anywho it will be interesting to see how thew ban goes down up here, starts on the 26th of march... I cant wait :D

Evenstar

Post by Evenstar » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:58 am

Sadly I haven't had any contact with the outside world for almost 2 weeks so I haven't seen this thread and hadn't heard that the ban was coming into affect!
Otherwise I would have been posting away on this thread!!!

Firstly, even though the ban has done well over here in Ireland it definitely has its downfalls!
I don't smoke and am slightly asthmatic so it was great news for me when it came into affect, but now when you walk down the streets of Dublin at night, you just pass from one cloud of smoke to the other and all the wind/fresh air in the world can't seem to get rid of it!!!

Secondly, all these comments and arguements from the smokers on the forum are exactly what I heard for weeks if not months from all the smokers I used to work with ( and there were alot!!!) or socialized with!!
Give it a chance and after a while you'll find you're not smoking as much and might even wanna stop smoking altogether!!!

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:37 am

Evenstar wrote: Give it a chance and after a while you'll find you're not smoking as much and might even wanna stop smoking altogether!!!
Well said.

I'm not gonna backtrack and 'name names' but as I recall there are only 1 or 2 members against 'the no smoking in public places ban'..... so far.....I hope that they don't have to learn 'the hard way'.....it ain't pretty.

FrozenJR

Post by FrozenJR » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:51 am

'the no smoking in public places ban'
now im getting slightly confused :oops: ...no, not like that :roll:

is this a blanket ban, or a ' no smoking in public places ban'

if its a no smoking in public ban then thats fine, coz people can smoke at home. if its blanket, and they cant do it. its a tad controlling of government to tell us what we can and cant do with ourselves in private.

i dont smoke, never will. or drugs. alcohol all the way 8)

Tom2510

Post by Tom2510 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:22 am

Its ALL enclosed public places, outside is fine just not inside, Anywhere!

Some of the stuff for up here <scotland> mentions that even if you own your own buisness and are the ONLY employee, you could still be fined for smoking inside <Of course they will never know, but hey!>

From what i have read of the ban down there it was originally going to be that "private members clubs" could be smoking, but it was over turned and now no where enclosed is allowed! <apart from for example certain designated rooms in prisons and the like>

FrozenJR

Post by FrozenJR » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:26 am

aaah thanks for clearing that one up. great, now i feel stupid. :oops:

Moon

Post by Moon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:37 am

FrozenJR wrote:
'the no smoking in public places ban'
That's just what it means,no smoking in pubs,clubs,restaurants,cafes,public transport etc etc etc.....ie,where the general public may be exposed to involuntary inhalation of tobacco fumes.
FrozenJR wrote:i dont smoke, never will. or drugs. alcohol all the way 8)
That only harms yourself and your family/friends but it's your perogative.

Solutech

Post by Solutech » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:08 am

I still say its a daft idea and so Ive just been informed the licensee's aint happy and are going to lobby the government to provide lottery money to build smoking dens outside .

After speaking to the police over the last day or so they aint best happy either .

They have enough grief with drunks and drink in
the street as it is without the added numbers of people outside smoking .

Dont know about elsewhere but Birkenhead is a no alcohol zone on the streets and both the government and the police are preaching about not leaving your drink unattended due to drink spiking .

So you either have doormen "minding" a large collection of drinks and the aggro that will cause or balloonheads downing drinks before going outside so as not to leave them . Add that to the prats already out there and your looking at kickoff city .

Bad bad idea .

Police aint happy , licensee's aint happy , Smokers Ive talked to very unhappy .

Three cheers for our fabulous politicians who coincedentally wont be affected by this a jot in the house as most laws dont apply in there .

A triumph of stupidity over common sense yet again from the suits .

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:44 am

I cant see the above being much of a problem really. You dont have to have a drink and a fag at the same time. It will become common for people to finish their drink, pop outside for a smoke then go back in to the bar for another beer. No real issue there (H)