Official England Thread (Football)

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Caladras

Postby Caladras » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Personally I think Gary Neville is a really good player. He had is ups and downs a few years ago, but England missed him this time around. He's so much better at right back than Jamie Carragher, he really helps Beckham out imo. And I hope France beat the crap out of Portugal, like England should have done! They were there for the taking and we blew it plain and simple.

Also bloody Wayne Rooney, everyone going on about him how he could win this World Cup for us, yeah right, never liked the guy and yeah he's a good player but there are players in the team who are just as good as Rooney. Of course we would have won if he had stayed on cos we would have had 11 men! Almost wish he didn't play so that he wouldn't have been such an idiot to get himself sent off.

Personally I blame Rooney for being an idiot and getting himself sent off and Sven for not having a frickin clue about how England should play.
You know the saying, "i'm not angry, i'm just disappointed?" well that doesn't bother me because you don't say, "there's a man running towards you with an axe and he's really disappointed!"

Logan

Postby Logan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:13 pm

Kamui wrote:He is by far the most consistant defender england have had in the last ten years, Unless you count Campbell as being consistantly crap

If by consistent you mean, been in the England squad, sure, I'd agree with you. But I don't rate him as a top quality defender as others would do. He's seasoned, and that's about it.

Kamui wrote:To logan,
I am not questioning him as a captain I just dont think he is the kind we need, He never struck me as a motivational captain more as a lead by example type, IMO we need someone like Roy Keane who will get the team motivated and get them organised, Terry seems too quiet.

Terry has proved exactly the opposite of what you state, at club level. Give him the armband he'll do the same for England.

Caladras wrote:Personally I think Gary Neville is a really good player. He had is ups and downs a few years ago, but England missed him this time around. He's so much better at right back than Jamie Carragher, he really helps Beckham out imo. And I hope France beat the crap out of Portugal, like England should have done! They were there for the taking and we blew it plain and simple.

A lot of that I'd agree with. He does seem to work well with Beckham, but as I say, Neville probably has one more tournament left in him - then what!? Might as well rule him out of the equation immediately.

Caladras wrote:Also bloody Wayne Rooney, everyone going on about him how he could win this World Cup for us, yeah right, never liked the guy and yeah he's a good player but there are players in the team who are just as good as Rooney. Of course we would have won if he had stayed on cos we would have had 11 men! Almost wish he didn't play so that he wouldn't have been such an idiot to get himself sent off.

Personally I blame Rooney for being an idiot and getting himself sent off and Sven for not having a frickin clue about how England should play.

Can't deny, given the correct supply and position, Rooney is world class.

Caladras

Postby Caladras » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:37 pm

Neville probably has one more tournament left in him - then what!? Might as well rule him out of the equation immediately.

Yeah that is the big problem with Neville, he'll only have the Euro then he'll go. I don't think Beckham will play in the next World Cup either, he'll be a bit too old and he's went off the boil a lot at this World Cup. I think we have a bit of a right back problem atm. Carragher just doesn't fit right back. Isn't he a central defender anyway? Another example of Sven not knowing how his team play.

Dad said something interesting that he thinks that Sven just picks the best outfield players that he can find and then just picks positions for them. He also thinks that you can't have Lampard and Gerrard in the same midfield. Not sure what I think about that, but his point is that you have to have a holding midfield player and England can't play with a 5-man midfield, so one has to go...

I think the next Euro we have a good shout if old Steve has the guts to change a lot of the things that Sven did.
Can't deny, given the correct supply and position, Rooney is world class.

And yeah Rooney is world class, but so is Lampard, Gerrard, Terry and Joe Cole (English man of the tournament for me). It got me that everyone went on about him needing to be fit and then when he was fit he pretty much put us out and yet no one has even batted an eyelid. Sure Ronaldo did provoke him, but it's Rooney's own idiocy that got him sent off, after all Ronaldo didn't push himself. I'm not saying he should be a scapegoat like Beckham was, I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but he has to have some of the blame laid on him and the press seem to have completely ignored the fact that Rooney got himself sent off...
You know the saying, "i'm not angry, i'm just disappointed?" well that doesn't bother me because you don't say, "there's a man running towards you with an axe and he's really disappointed!"

BlackRibbon

Postby BlackRibbon » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Did anyone see that headbutt by Zidane? That was amazing, but I'm still not sure if the Italian deserved it or not :S

Dr. Egg PHD
Location: 1.The act or process of locating 2.A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Postby Dr. Egg PHD » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:46 pm

F*CKING YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! GO ITALY!!!!

Zidan, I know you can't hear me but you're a C*NT!
Hell is still overburdened,
I must stand and wait in line,
Hell is still overburdened,
How have I been so determined malign.

BlackRibbon

Postby BlackRibbon » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:50 pm

I laughed my pants off when i saw the replay of the headbutt thing. I wanted France to win though :cry: coz they beat Portugal.
I hate Ronaldo Failing that, I strongly dislike him for beaing a cheating baby

Dreadnought

Postby Dreadnought » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Dr. Egg PHD wrote:F*CKING YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! GO ITALY!!!!

Zidan, I know you can't hear me but you're a C*NT!
No one can hear that mate, its text lol

I have to say what Zidane did was messed up but IMO he wasn't being truly malicious if he was he'd of butted him in the face.
BlackRonin wrote:ahh a boy playng with his big snake what fun :D

Logan

Postby Logan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:59 pm

May as well ressurect this thread! :D

England vs. Greece (Friendly)

Woah! :| What a difference under Steve McClaren and Terry Venebals (H)

Half time and its 4 - 0 England! :D You have to wonder how on earth Greece won the Euro!? :| :S They are utter sh*te.

England though, what a different team - but oddly pretty much the same players, just reshuffled into the CORRECT positions. Lampard and Gerrard are no longer cancelling each other out. Defence is making runs forward. Crouch is actually good! :| And John Terry, so glad he is captain and what an opener as captain, scoring the first goal 8)

More of the same second half please! 8)

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:09 pm

I have only just switched it on and I must say I am impressed!

How has hargreaves been?
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Sword-Nymph

Postby Sword-Nymph » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm very surprised it's a whole different team :|

Seems as though the half time breakdown got it right , There's no Beckham!!! Gerrard is more frre to move about as are the entire midfield
*add text*

Caladras

Postby Caladras » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Good performance from the lads, finally!!! Played really well and although they serious went off the gas in the second half you can see why. So glad they kept a clean sheet too. Man I hope that this is a sign of things to come rather than just a replica of the start that Sven made....

Cal

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:59 am

Time for this thread to come back to life!

Good performances last two games - keep it up!

My England first XI:

GK: Robinson - Just as good as James (who's had one good season in his entire career!) and massively more consistent.
RB: G.Neville - Experienced, smart player with a great cross on him as well.
CB: Terry - One of the best CB in the world
CB: Rio - Not as good as Terry but still a great player
LB: A.Cole - Not looked so hot recently but its fair to assume he's just been off, not getting worse.
RM: S.W.Phillips - I think our style has changed to a much pacier game and Phillips is better suited to it than Beckham. When you have players who are almost, if not as, good as Beckham from the deadball and cross then you really don't need him so much anymore.
CM: Hargeaves - Lampard can't play with Gerrard and Hargreaves can do everything Barry can as well as being faster and being better defensively. Plus he has more international experience.
CM: Gerrard - Better than Lampard, which says a lot really. Best midfielder in the Premiership if you ask me, and I'm a Man Utd fan so you can trust that opinion!
LM: J.Cole - Best LM England (and maybe even the Premiership) have had in years.
SS: Rooney - Just as strong as Heskey, with a reputation that draws defenders even more than Crouch's height does and as much speed as Defoe. With Henry gone Rooney is easily the best forward in the premiership
CF: Owen - Simply the best English CF with stunning international record.

Return to “General Chat”