PC Monitor Refresh Rate

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

At what refresh rate does it become uncomfortable for you to view?

27%
No votes
27%
9%
Doesn't affect me.
36%

Total votes: 11

Logan

PC Monitor Refresh Rate

Post by Logan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Through my early childhood, I suffered with photosensitive epilepsy, whereby things like the TV would trigger a fit. From what I remember, my eyes would roll to one side and I'd become completely oblivious to everything around me, non responsive, until I snapped out of it.

From the inside, all I can remember is a small square of what can only be described as red, green and blue pixels would appear in the bottom right of my vision. This would be the start of a seizure. Uncontrollably my eyes would try to follow the 'box' as it moved out of vision, which I'm guessing is why it looks like my eyes were rolling to one side.

Thankfully I 'grew' out of it as the doctors at the time told me could possibly happen, and I've not had a fit for about 10-15 years now.

Anyway, whats the point in all this? Well I was just reading on another forum about something slightly related and one user mentioned they had 'fast responding vision'. Whats this got to do with PC monitors and refresh rates? Well I'm pretty sure as a side effect of my childhood epilepsy its left me rather sensitive to lights in general, but most notably, monitor refresh rates.

Basically, anything below about 75Hz is uncomfortable for me to look at. Something like 60Hz is simply unbearable to me, especially when white is displayed. Yet I know people who have high resolutions set at 60-65Hz and they don't notice a thing! It seems to differ though, between CRT's and TFT's because on a CRT, it basically has to be 85Hz. Anything below that and I can't really use it. With TFT's the lowest bearable refresh rate I can go to is 72Hz, which I had on my old 15" TFT.

What I end up seeing is lots of flickering. If you've got five minutes to spare, just out of interest and because I'm bored, go through your monitors refresh rates, lowering them to the four settings in the poll and let me know at which point you start to notice flickering (or its uncomfortable), or if you don't at all!

To change your refresh rate in Windows, right click on your desktop and choose properties. Goto the settings tab, then click advanced. Now goto the adapter tab and click 'list all modes' (if the drop down box is not there already).

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:46 pm

I think mine is set at about 75 at the moment, lower rates do become uncomfortable for me, not as drastic as that though I just get headaches.

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:46 pm

But do you notice flickering?

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Yeah, not so much in the way you would with a tv but you are aware of it without really being able to see it if that makes sense?

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:59 pm

The monitor I'm using now is a 17" TFT and 60 is fine for me. I've just changed it to 75 and it seems to have emboldened the text. Other than that I can't notice much difference.

Solutech

Post by Solutech » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:13 pm

60 does my brain in if I sit for more than an about 20 mins in front of it

wabhimself

Post by wabhimself » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:17 pm

most people i've talked to in college had it at 75 (we had to do this as part of an it thing to see if we knew how to work the machines properly) and everyone noticed the flickering at 60 but l guess some people are less sensative to it really.

sprout

Post by sprout » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:09 pm

I notice fluorescent lights, monitors, and TV screens. Not keen on being in the same room as a Tv if I'm not watching it...even then, its not great. Only comfortable infront an LCD at 75Hz. The montiros response rate could have an effect on your vision too, but mines at 2ms so I wouldnt see it anyway. No flickering. Headaches and painful eyes if I use CRT's for long.

Gaunt

Post by Gaunt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:21 pm

never really bothered lookin at refresh rate but just checked now mines at 60 so must not be someone who it effects

Tempest UK

Post by Tempest UK » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Only ever used 60 really. Had a go with 75 but I didn't notice a difference to be honest :S

Git

Post by Git » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:56 pm

Mine's at 60, but my TFT is also 2ms response time, so it's really not noticeable at all for me.

Logan

Post by Logan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:19 pm

Cheers guys :D Seems it varies quite widely from person to person!

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:30 pm

I think mine is set to 75 though I dont remember having any problems at all with any other computers

Unleashed

Post by Unleashed » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:10 pm

I have it at 200 - anything below annoys me. I can go to about 75, but under that my eyes start aching.