Book of five rings by miyamoto misashi - anyone read it?

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Katzujinken

Book of five rings by miyamoto misashi - anyone read it?

Post by Katzujinken » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Just bought this from amazon, whats your thoughts on this book? do you find it a good read?

swayZtyle

Re: Book of five rings by miyamoto misashi - anyone read it?

Post by swayZtyle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:12 pm

I've got it, and read it a few times now..I got the 'D.E. Tarver' one and found it to be one of the better versions out there.

As for Musashi himself..he certainly explains some interesting points and gives good guidance, but a fair bit of it is his own path, his 'Way', but I do like the way he leaves alot of it open, letting you make your own.

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:12 am

Aye, interesting read, but not something you can just read cover to cover, at least not just the once. It needs to be practised, meditated on, or at least reread a few times if you're to understand the bulk of it.

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58 am

i heard you have so have some knowledge in martial arts or business to take advantage of it?

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 am

Considering it's based on strategy as a whole; it's not a necessity BUT because it was forged from 'the fires of combat' if you will; it certainly helps you gain an understanding, yeah I'd say so.

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:51 pm

sounds brilliant, can`t wait to read it! :GGe

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:31 pm

I've read it, thought it was total testicles.

Moon

Post by Moon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Larnz wrote:I've read it, thought it was total testicles.
Really? I thought it was a loada ballocks personally. :>

Seriously though, I found Go Rin No Sho left me asking more questions than it answered but maybe that was Musashi's intent and his way of telling people that they should cut their own path in life...let's not forget that he wasn't always as truthful that many may think either. :|

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Moon wrote:...let's not forget that he wasn't always as truthful that many may think either. :|
That's controversial for a start, considering he covers the topic of 'truth', clearly stating that truth isn't what you make it..it is what it is, and you must pursue it.

Hm I quite fancy another read now :D

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 am

swayZtyle wrote:
That's controversial for a start, considering he covers the topic of 'truth', clearly stating that truth isn't what you make it..it is what it is, and you must pursue it.

Hm I quite fancy another read now :D
I think the whole book is controversial to a point...IIRC Musashi states that he was never defeated in a duel and that isn't true according to many other writers of the day and if he deliberately lied, he dishonoured himself imho.
I think it's a book of riddles from which you can draw many conclusions.

"If you believe all that you read it is better not to read"...Japanese proverb. ;)

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 am

It's true; 'tis hidden in riddles..I guess he could be coming from another point of view such as "How do you define 'defeated'?"..because he was still alive, and seemingly unscathed, perhaps that's what he means? lol. It is too far back in time to tell, and as you say, there's plenty of sources around doubting and sporting some evidence saying he's not all that he's made up to be, but there's no denying there's something about him..and he did indeed survive long enough to write it.

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 am

ive got my book, and so far seems like a good read to me!

Moon

Post by Moon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Katzujinken wrote:ive got my book, and so far seems like a good read to me!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I didn't but maybe we look at the book from different perspectives. :|
swayZstyle wrote:It's true; 'tis hidden in riddles..I guess he could be coming from another point of view such as "How do you define 'defeated'?"..because he was still alive, and seemingly unscathed, perhaps that's what he means? lol. It is too far back in time to tell, and as you say, there's plenty of sources around doubting and sporting some evidence saying he's not all that he's made up to be, but there's no denying there's something about him..and he did indeed survive long enough to write it.
The man is a legend in Japan and always will be regardless of what anyone concludes from his writings and like most legends, there'll always be those who'll attempt to introduce an element of myth into undocumented history but as he allegedly fought about 60 duels and lived to tell the tale speaks volumes in itself as you've rightfully said. ;)

BTW...it's good to have a sensible discussion without unwelcome interjections from spammers. :)

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:45 am

Heh yeah :>
It's also nice to see someone from the old guard still lingering around here..the place hasn't truly died yet. :D

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 pm

very true :D