Iaido Sueyoshi Akeshi anyone got the Dvd?

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Katzujinken

Iaido Sueyoshi Akeshi anyone got the Dvd?

Post by Katzujinken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Ive just purchased this dvd from amazon, to train while im not at the dojo as its only 2 days a week.. im wondering if anyones tried this dvd out yet? for its 20 quid not cheap for a dvd these days!!

Moon

Re: Iaido Sueyoshi Akeshi anyone got the Dvd?

Post by Moon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Why would you be interested in a DVD when you attend a dojo twice a week :S which dojo and what ryu do you study in Nottingham?

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:11 pm

i want to train more than twice a week, and the ryu im studing at the moment is Muso Shinden and i go to a sheffield dojo as there isnt one in notts to my knowledge!

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Katzujinken wrote:i want to train more than twice a week, and the ryu im studing at the moment is Muso Shinden and i go to a sheffield dojo as there isnt one in notts to my knowledge!
MJER at...
http://www.iaidonottingham.co.uk/page3.html
...and very good too, by all accounts.

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:00 am

thanks for the info moon!! the days the place is open (tue,sat) will fit inbetween the days i do at sheff. much appreciated bigwetkiss

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:36 am

Katzujinken wrote:thanks for the info moon!! the days the place is open (tue,sat) will fit inbetween the days i do at sheff. much appreciated bigwetkiss
Although I agree with you that 2 days isn't enough and you'll always feel the need to practice; I'd be very careful with this considering MSR and MJER have differences in their Kata's and could very well become quite the pain in your butt when trying to seperate them.

By all means try it, though I do think it'll become a hindrance..it's probably best to decide which you prefer.
As for doing Iai more often; I actually practice in the back garden when it comes to the cuts..I'm very new to Iaido, taking it up just a few weeks ago, but with a wet pavement and solid flipflops I can move easily, doing the same steps as when doing cutting exercises, or how I'm being taught anyway. Ofcourse this gets harder with certain Kata's as you progress, but it's still doable. As for the floor work (bowing and the like) I just do it indoors, and now sit in Seiza in front of the TV for as long as I can..can sit there for about 10 minutes now before having to get up to get the blood in to do it again.

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu does look good to me, which ryu do you study? and what do you think to it? i can see why you think it may burden me as theres only slight differences in the katas which may confuse me when i go to the shef dojo and do some mjer haha! :CHAIN

swayZtyle

Post by swayZtyle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 am

Yeah I do MJER, simply for the fact it's the only one taught here; but I must say I enjoy it and that my Sensei shows me the differences that show up with the different Ryu's sometimes..to me MJER makes the most sense..it seems to be the middle ground.
As for Iaido itself; I love it. I'm a big gym go-er so I'm constantly either running or pumping weights..it's nice to mix it up and do something 'slow and low impact' (take that with a pinch of salt ;) ) and if you love that stuff then hell yeah - it's enjoyable. You should think yourself lucky, too..we only have class once a week, on a Monday.

Oh, and another trick..if you can / want to train in your kitchen or another room with hardwood flooring (or similar) but don't have the room to swing..try using a wooden spoon instead. It works :>

Katzujinken

Post by Katzujinken » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:50 pm

good idea with the wooden spoon, the other day i took out my light bulb while practicing, as my apartment ceiling isnt high enough! gave me a scare hah :roll: