Hey, newbie here

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lygo

Hey, newbie here

Post by Lygo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Hey everyone, long time sword lover, and now owner. Just got my first ones today and figured why not sign up :)

the blade master

Re: Hey, newbie here

Post by the blade master » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:48 pm

well hi there and wellcome to the forum any pics of your aqasition

Lygo

Post by Lygo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, got cut off from the net for a while. I had very little idea of what to actually look for when buying, got the last samuria set. http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=1250

Have to say I was a little disapointed. Don't seem that well made. It says on the site its sharpened but it was completly blunt, there were a lot of dents in it, the blades themselves were at an angle, little to the side, and I ended up having to clean off some green...something, have no clue, just this green stain on one of them. Also, I have to say, the samuria sword itself feels like it wouldn't take much to come flying off, slightly loose.

Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on a better buy?

Sagaris

Post by Sagaris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:19 pm

they arent functional blades hence your problems, have a look at the chen katana's or anything else under the functional section

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm

hi lygo
dont bother with the cheap three piece sets you only get what you pay for you would
be better off getting single pieces like the danascus egret katana/ninja sword on page 10
in newley added items to see it its worth every penny and them some go through the pages
to find more in that style and you,ll not be dissapointed with any you see or buy
mick

Sagaris

Post by Sagaris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:02 pm

very true :D, im getting the sword of hiro and the ninja egret sword soon. ill post some pics and drop a review for you ^.^

Lygo

Post by Lygo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the advice both of you. Blade Master, checked out the sword you recommended, looks good, any other suggestions? Sagaris, I look forward to your review :) Thanks both

Sagaris

Post by Sagaris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 pm

ummm as a starting sword i basicaly choose anything from "Handforged Samurai Swords", all of them have great reviews and aren't too expensive and there are a number of them for £69 that also come with a storage box and maintenance kit ^.^.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 am

hi lygo
heres 6 i,d concider if i were you especialy the first which i have
1 the purple ito ninja sword
2 usagi ninja sword
3 hand forged last samurai sword
4 shirasaya ninja sword (same as a zatoichi sword) good buy
5 huang ninja sword
6 sakura ninja sword (another good buy)

Lygo

Post by Lygo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey thanks both for the tips. I was thinking of buying an 8 sword stand and then slowly building up. The Purple Ito Ninja Sword looks like a good buy, Damascus Egret Ninja Sword and Ikazuchi Damascus Katana also caught my eye. Huang Ninja Sword, very attractive. Handforged Last Samurai looks like a good buy, all in all have to say you two have good taste :)

Lot of the Chinese ones look good, Practical Tai Chi Sword looks worth a go. The HSU 2-handed, Tang Jian, Swallow Sword - Single Hand and Scott Rodell Cutting Sword also look good.

As these are all under Functional Swords and Handmade I would hope I won't get something that feels like it might come off and it actually sharp this time.

Blademaster, quick question, will it be better value for money to buy something that comes indivudually with a maintenance kit or buy separately?

Again, thanks both of you, I'd have no idea what to go for.

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:39 pm

hi lygo
in answer to your question about weather to buy with or without a maintainance kit dont make any
difference to the quality of the sword its good with or without, the kit is just a bonus so buy with confidence
(thats if you 18 or over)i must recomend the egret ninja/katana as it has a real damascus/pattern forged
blade you dont get many at that price with that type of blade and finish.
mick

Sagaris

Post by Sagaris » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:54 pm

yep definetly agree with mick, the damascus swords really are beautiful works of art and for the price its a great buy! most damascus blades i have seen are at least £50 more so this site really is the best at beating competitor pricing :D

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:00 pm

you,ll allways get a good deal here at blades if you look at the other post by loz
you,ll get a persentage off plus £20 worth of free goodies now that aint a bad deal

Sagaris

Post by Sagaris » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 pm

whats that for mick?

Lygo

Post by Lygo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm actually 23, if I seem a little naive probally because I am. I've always had a love of blades, I actually got my first one when I was 13, a Chinese Dragon dagger. Saw it in a shop, bought it, didn't even see until after I walked out the shop that on the bottom it said must not be sold to anyone under 18. Counted my blessings the man at the register didn't seem to care (or thought I was 18, who knows) and took it home. I remember being 16 and out with my mum (can't remember why), walking into a shop FILLED with swords, daggers, axes, begged her to let me get one lol she wouldn't let me. When I actually turned 18 I found I still had a love for them but thought "Well what the Hell am I going to do with one anyway?" figured I'd grow out of it. Moved out when I was 21, had some space, looked around, still figured I'd grow out of it, now at 23, I find I still have a love and fasination with swords and decided what the Hell.

Bought that first set, I actually did look around the site, saw that some were advertised as sharpened and others unsharpened, said it was a sharpened well made set, looked at the form and saw people seemed to be happy with what they got from the site, and as I said, finally got them, not that well made and completly blunt. Decided getting some tips before I bought more might be a good idea as I am just starting out and, you know, kinda clueless, the whole beginner thing.

At the moment I've really got my eye on the Ikazuchi Damascus Katana mostly because they only have one left and I have no clue when/if they'll get more. Probally have the money for it in about two weeks, if its gone by then I'll get one of the others you recommended, hopefully this time it'll be well made and sharp. Whatever I get I'll be sure to post pics :)