Finding Lessons

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Metalcore4thewin

Finding Lessons

Post by Metalcore4thewin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 am

hi im wanting to learn to use a sword and i want to learn from a dojo or something can anybody help me find one in my area.
Downham market or kings lynn

Geordie Ross

Re: Finding Lessons

Post by Geordie Ross » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:49 am

No idea, have you tried google places?

Metalcore4thewin

Post by Metalcore4thewin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:53 am

yh i have tried searching martial arts but i dont know the name of the specific martial arts
and are you a linkin park fan by any chance

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:57 am

hi wellcome
call the owner lawrence as he,s in the same area he should be able to help
oh to get a better responce it would be helpfull if you posted questions like
this in the proper section i.e.(the fudoshin dojo).
mick

Metalcore4thewin

Post by Metalcore4thewin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:59 am

is lawrence the owner of blades uk

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 pm

read the first few words on the first lne of my reply above :D :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Yes he is, also the more common sword sport is usually kendo, popularised by the olympics but there is others

Metalcore4thewin

Post by Metalcore4thewin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm

okay thanks for the help i am going to email him now thanks again

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:14 pm

There's a good one in Norwich, iaido - you won't find anyone more devoted to his craft than Paul. Seikukan Ken Dojo - they have a website.

Bit nearer is one in Wisbech, the owner sends his students down here for his swords, unfortunately I didn't ask the name of his dojo, will do next time. But it's very quiet in this part of the country I'm afraid.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:09 pm

There you go, you don't get customer service like that every day ;)

Owner7771

Post by Owner7771 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:42 pm

when looking for any martial arts instruction always check your local venues such as church halls and leisure centers as not all martial arts Sensei have been established long enough to own a dojo especially if an art does not have a big following in a particular area. with sword weilding martial arts consider the full version of Jujutsu although it will be several years training before they allow you to even pick up a bocken it is the martial art which samurai used and although including many other weapons also includes use of the katana and wakisashi. Yes Samurai where trained in sword specific martial arts too however before they could learn them they had to master jujitsu. People now say it was karate and akido they had to learn which is infact eroneus as karate and akido and judo where cleaned up sections of jujitsu which gained popularity in japan when the US occupational forces banned the practice of jujitsu after world war 2 due to lil old japanese people putting their occupational forces in hospital

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 pm

No don't do jujitsu If you want sword based martial arts, try searching for battojutsu that's much more predominantly sword based
Ps there is some good training DVD's on the main page that can give you a good head start on your chosen sport ;)

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Owner7771 wrote:when looking for any martial arts instruction always check your local venues such as church halls and leisure centers as not all martial arts Sensei have been established long enough to own a dojo especially if an art does not have a big following in a particular area. with sword weilding martial arts consider the full version of Jujutsu although it will be several years training before they allow you to even pick up a bocken it is the martial art which samurai used and although including many other weapons also includes use of the katana and wakisashi. Yes Samurai where trained in sword specific martial arts too however before they could learn them they had to master jujitsu. People now say it was karate and akido they had to learn which is infact eroneus as karate and akido and judo where cleaned up sections of jujitsu which gained popularity in japan when the US occupational forces banned the practice of jujitsu after world war 2 due to lil old japanese people putting their occupational forces in hospital
now i didnt know this did you guys :roll:

Owner7771

Post by Owner7771 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:41 pm

I only know it due to the classes available in this town. Probably the only good thing about it is the martial arts classes held in a housing estates scout hut. Puritans would say a martial arts school going for decades without having its own dojo cannot be much good however when you consider on the judo side of this trained sharon jackson Olympic Gold Medalist and now trainer for the australian national team. The Nunsthorpe Grimsby classes for jujitsu and judo held at this location are some of the best in the country. The current sensei have been trained by people who themselves where trained by yamodah (not sure on spelling)) a short lil old japanese Martial artist who was so skilled he turned a room upside down and hit his opponent with it that is a description of how it felt to be faced by him

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:23 pm

a real font of knowledge there guys :D