Survival Knives

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Geordie Ross

Re: Survival Knives

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:36 pm

In all honesty owner (if you still have the face to read this forum) a survival knife isn't limited by its tang. Most khukris don't have a "true" full tang but they have proven some of the best fighting/survival knifes around. Anything sharp and strong will work if your life depends on it, a stone hand axe is still used in many tribal regions of Africa and south America.

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:30 pm

I don't know if the survival knife I mentioned has a full tang, but it look like it does to my untrained eye, I may be wrong & if I am, I can only apologize.
As has been pointed out, not all knives useful in a survival environment have a full tang, but my personal preference is not to use a hollow-handle knife.
I don't think they offer the strength of a more invasive tang.
It is all just a matter of taste, although I wouldn't buy the Ultimate Survival knife myself, it does seem like the best
hollow-handle knife on the market, & if I were ever to buy one of these types if knife, it would be the one I would choose.
B.T.W. I see that the K-Bar is now available from Blades-Uk, but what about the
M.O.D. Survival knife, any chance if that?
Martin.
eek3434

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 pm

hi martin
which one would you go for theres two versions one with a rivted wooden handle and one with a synthetic plasticy type

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I always go for natural materials where possible, so wood would be my first choice, but there is also the question if price & if synthetic is significantly cheaper I would have to consider it.
I don't want to appear to be a fence-sitter, but on Income Support
every penny counts, Martin.
:D

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm

ok martin
heres one to go for if you can find one (ive checked a couple of sites that still seem to have them)
its the united cutlery uc1427 in my opinion its better built than most out there i got mine a couple of years ago
still unused now but its a real nice piece plus the tang seems a bit more substantial than some ive seen a great
heavy duty hand guard nearly 5mm thick three brass rivets and a black pakkawood handle stainless blade i belive its 440 stainless
theres also a large version mines the medium at just under 12.25 long so god knows what they call large?

oh i bought mine from buks maybe just maybe lawrence has one or two left call him
ps ive long since cut the stupid fringe off mine looks better that way and its a real leather sheath too not that reconstituted
crap you get these days reconstituted is (leather bits ground down and impregnated with resin then reformed into look alike leather)
mick
pps double click the pic to make it viewable

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Google MoD survival knife and you'll find the current issue to RAF pilots for about £48 (plastic) £64 (wood) plus postage. ;)

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Many thank for the advice, I'll have to look into them, Martin.
:>

Moon

Post by Moon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 pm

liquidator96 wrote:Many thank for the advice, I'll have to look into them, Martin.
:>
Just had another looksee and you can get them with wooden scales for about £55 posted. ;)