My collection

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

8steve88

Re: My collection

Post by 8steve88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 am

Hi there Owner7771, the blade on the W.A.S.P. looks the same as a balisong overall apart from the grind only on one side. It's the flipper that makes is look similar. It makes it symmetrical apart from the thumb stud, if you remove the blade then there are differences in the machining.
I don't know how good you are with maintenance of knives so you can ignore the following method and do it your own way, this method worked for me but if you are unsure then don't do it.
Before adjusting try lubricating the pivot. it could save you a bit of time, I use Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide, it comes in a pen type precision applicator and is the best oil for knives that I've used, but anything like 3in1 will do.
If you do adjust the pivot then start with the blade extended and CAREFULLY remove the smaller of the two pivot screws, (the blade pivots on the larger one, the smaller locks it in place) and use some Loctite 243 or similar medium strength thread lock on the smaller screw, replace it and start adjusting. Without the Loctite the pivot screw could loosen to the point where you get a Sproing Moment™ when the deploying spring disengages from the blade, and it is a pain in the arse putting it back. :-x
The Torx drivers are T8 for the pivot and T6 for the rest of the screws. Those two will cover most of the screws used on folding knives.

I've got a Chinese made Kershaw, the Chill, I've taken it apart a couple of times and none of the screws look stripped, I can't see any difference in quality between the Chill and the Chive which is made in the U.S.A.

If you want a blade with smooth lines then have a look at the Kershaw OD1 and OD2, the thumb stud retracts after deploying the blade.
The OD1 has a 3" blade made from Sandvik 14C28N steel for around £65 and the more affordable OD2 with a 2¼" blade of 8CR13MOV steel is around £23.
I'm currently trying to decide between the OD2 (novel thumb stud) and the Spyderco Kiwi (next up in my "spidey-bug" collection). They both have the same blade steel and are nearly the same price, Kiwi has it at the moment as it's a legal carry.

Owner7771

Post by Owner7771 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Im considering either a UKPK or a endura4 but hoping I will win either a sage or a benchmade mini griptilian :) in a couple of contests Im in. well Im also considering the tenacious I had thought about bug and grass hopper but I thought I would like a bigger blade in g10 handle scales next then go back to a full stainless steel. I nearly said they dont the kiwi is 3cr13mov but I realised the last of the small spyderco range to use the 3cr13mov is the grasshopper, even then though I have heard the minimum steel spyderco has used in 2011 has been the 8cr13mov so hard to tell the honeybee doesnt mention what steel it is on the blade

8steve88

Post by 8steve88 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 am

Hi Owner7771, from Spyderco website, Bug and Honeybee listed as just 3Cr. Grasshopper is 8Cr13MoV. Coincidence as I'm fitting a ringpull to the Spydeyhole,the ring part of a keyring large enough to get my finger through, I find the Spyderco slip joints to be just a bit too strong on spring pressure, I've just ordered a Stainless Steel Kiwi (that's 8Cr13MoV) so I do like them. The Bug and the Honeybee seem like novelty items until you start using them and find out how sharp and useful they are, the Grasshopper is more normal penknife sized.
If you are considering the UKPK or Endura 4 then have a look at the Resilience, a lot of knife, cheaper than UKPK or Endura 4 but only 8Cr13MoV blade.
If I had more money I'd be having a Des Horn or a Native 5.

Owner7771

Post by Owner7771 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:33 pm

If I had the money I would have a chris reeve sebenza 21 but I dont I have considered the tenacious especially with finding spydercos official UK stockist and its £10 cheaper than anywhere else Ive seen UK PK at least is UK legal and a lot bigger than my honeybee and not too bad priced if you go with the frn handles but still more than the tenacious by £5. I am looking at the UKPK to be every day carry though something I could not do with the tenacious or endura4 even though I havent been stopped by police in an age yes the stainless steel on the grasshopper and kiwi with still a better blade steel than aus 8a is a lot cheaper but I prefer frn to steel for if have to cut in cold. The tenacious would make an excellent camping knife though even the smallest of the range the ambitious would but too small and the persistence is more expensive than the bigger tenacious. I didnt win the sage still got a chance on the mini griptilian so we will see what the future holds for my collection. I have done lots of tests with my honeybee including cutting a 1/4 inch nylon rope and others and its gone through like butter I thought my kershaw was sharp until I tested that one and yes I have cut myself accidently a couple of times with it the thing is soo sharp you dont even notice you have cut yourself

jonnypunk

Post by jonnypunk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:00 am

[quote="Owner7771"]My slowly growing knife collection as geordie ross asked me to put up a photo of what I have so far

These 2 are new today with the sharpest being the littlest

and finally a photo of the littlest and my everyday carry
yes its a lil spyderco honeybee the cheapest in the range and cuts through anything Ive tested it on like a hot knife through

I can trade some of my collection to you.. i like your stuff.. :D
a self defense spray with a man can steal millions than a man with a gun.