Wood anyone know?

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

liquidator96

Re: Wood anyone know?

Post by liquidator96 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:22 pm

I hadn't heard of either of those, so I wikied them, nice sniper rifle! I always like bolt-action, and the stg 45, the grandfather of the G3 & many other Hk weapons!
Thank you for sharing, I love to learn about new stuff & I wouldn't have known about those two if you hadn't pointed them out, cheers mate, Martin. :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Lol aye German weapons pretty much dominated ww2, they were much better than the majority of allied weapons! and I think the mp5 is a derivative of the stg45 not too sure? James should know

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Geordie do you realise that the Sturmgewehr 45 was a disaster and was shelved? i presume youve confused it with the stg 44 which saw active service in 43 but no one told hitler as he didnt like it when shown the plans and ordered it to be scrapped but they ignored him and made it anyway a tad embarrassing when he inspected the troops and saw this weapon but luckily for the guys that disobeyed him he realised its use so they named it the STG 44. It was also the first gun to have infra red sights. The ross rifle was used by the CEF (Canadian Expeditionary force ww1) but was replaced fairly quickly by the Enfield Mk3 SMLE as the Enfield was a better weapon .
sorry geordie the MP5 is a sub machine gun so its derived from the mp40 due to its 9mm cartridge. the STG 44 however inspired every other assault rifle its everythings granddaddy lol especially the AK-47 check out the similaritys!
Right ok so my favourite 3 (im limiting myself to 3 or well be here all day lol)
Lee Enfield no.4t saving for one as they go for about 3k lol
Bren Mk2 my baby lol
Thompson smg 1928a1

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Make fibreglass tubes and fill them with some threaded rod. Once the weight is right, resin it solid... Halfords for the win.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Lol No way mate, IMO i say the mp45 was a great gun, it may have been shelved during the later stages of the war but was revived by the jerrys who fled to France, and the roller delayed blowback was ahead of its time, personally I think it's been overshadowed by its younger brother (stg44) because of how revolutionary it was.
Ps I didn't say the mp40 James I ment the mp5 was related to the stg45 via its blowback system lol

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Geordie Ross wrote:Lol No way mate, IMO i say the mp45 was a great gun, it may have been shelved during the later stages of the war but was revived by the jerrys who fled to France, and the roller delayed blowback was ahead of its time, personally I think it's been overshadowed by its younger brother (stg44) because of how revolutionary it was.
Ps I didn't say the mp40 James I ment the mp5 was related to the stg45 via its blowback system lol
has owner possessed Geordie Ross? i think you should read my post carefully mate
first of all the mp45 and the stg 45 are the same thing and only 30 were produced and the project abandoned
what jerrys fled to france? bearing in mind you said the stg45 was your fav ww2 gun
nearly all ww2 SMG's used blowback there is nothing revolutionary about that?
Last edited by jamesb0551 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 pm

First off, if I'm right, the Ross was shelved because it would only fire spotless rounds, mucky ones would jam, but it was a liked rifle, due to it's high accuracy, lol didn't know the stg was grandfather to most assaults, love the Enfield & Thompson, I went to a localish thing about the Auxiliary units in WWII & they were issued with Thompson's, amongst other weapons, I was surprised as I only thought the US forces had them, (pauses for breath :> ), any links to the fiberglass idea, I would have no idea how to utilize your idea, many thanks to all, Martin. :D

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm

liquidator96 wrote:First off, if I'm right, the Ross was shelved because it would only fire spotless rounds, mucky ones would jam, but it was a liked rifle, due to it's high accuracy, lol didn't know the stg was grandfather to most assaults, love the Enfield & Thompson, I went to a localish thing about the Auxiliary units in WWII & they were issued with Thompson's, amongst other weapons, I was surprised as I only thought the US forces had them, (pauses for breath :> ), any links to the fiberglass idea, I would have no idea how to utilize your idea, many thanks to all, Martin. :D
The ross generally was an inferior weapon to the SMLE only 400,000 were made, i cant say wether on not it was used as a sniper weapon in ww1 as i dont have the knowledge however it wasnt used in ww2. yes mate the STG 44 was the very first assault rifle in service. excellent mate im in a group that renacts the auxiliary units 202 ER to be precise. where did you go coleshill or parham? youd be surprised alot of units used the thompson only the 1928a1 model though, commandos,HG it pretty much went through the entire army you can see regualar british infantry landing on d-day with them. also used alot by the canadians.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm

jamesb0551 wrote:
Geordie Ross wrote:Lol No way mate, IMO i say the mp45 was a great gun, it may have been shelved during the later stages of the war but was revived by the jerrys who fled to France, and the roller delayed blowback was ahead of its time, personally I think it's been overshadowed by its younger brother (stg44) because of how revolutionary it was.
has owner possessed Geordie Ross? i think you should read my post carefully mate
first of all the mp45 and the stg 45 are the same thing and only 30 were produced and the project abandoned
what jerrys fled to france? bearing in mind you said the stg45 was your fav ww2 gun
nearly all ww2 SMG's used blowback there is nothing revolutionary about that?
I know that mp45 and stg45 are the same lol and the Germans who developed it moved to france and made more guns and the blowback system in the mp45 was unique as its roller delayed (also in the mp5) lol and owner syndrome is a dibilitating disease rofl, as I find my self saying thoes infamous words "I think the above info is correct" :roll:

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:26 pm

hey geordie
who told you that owner could think :D :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Roflmao!!!!

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 am

I went to Coleshill with the Mrs & some other family in August I think, it was brilliant! the sten firing demo didn't go according to plan, it jammed a few times, bloody loud though! all in all a fab day though, were you there by any chance?
Martin. :D

jamesb0551

Post by jamesb0551 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 am

liquidator96 wrote:I went to Coleshill with the Mrs & some other family in August I think, it was brilliant! the sten firing demo didn't go according to plan, it jammed a few times, bloody loud though! all in all a fab day though, were you there by any chance?
Martin. :D
Haha they have a habit of doing that! Managed to get mine running like clockwork now :) yeah the blanks are incredibly loud! We wear ear plugs when we're doing demonstrations or public/private battling. No I've only just joined the group I'm also in a British airborne group of which I've been in longer. I probably will be going this year. You should try parham it's the meuseum of British resistance. I'm glad you enjoyed it mate :)

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:40 am

James can I ask how do the reenactment groups work? Is it choreographed or tactical?

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 am

It was a day to remember! my thanks to yourself & all the other reenactors who show, educate and entertain us about WWI & WWII, you do history proud, Martin. :D