A genuine query

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Owner7771

A genuine query

Post by Owner7771 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:57 am

Does the axis lock on the Enlan knives make it technically a gravity knife?
Although it is challenging to pull it right back when you do the knife opens easilly on centrifugal force requiring no slackening of the pivot screw infact with the phospher bronze on one side and teflon on the other washers no matter how far you tightened it this would still happen untill you stripped the threads on the pivot. I have been busy building a youtube channel so just getting advice here on this one as I am unsure wether the axis lock mechanism would come in any of the release catagories on a gravity blade

Moon

Re: A genuine query

Post by Moon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Any knife that can be opened using centrifugal force and locks in the open position can be considered a gravity knife, the type of lock is irrelevant.

Owner7771

Post by Owner7771 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks moon thats what I thought it does mean that two of the big UK supliers are selling illegal knives in the UK I just wasnt sure on the wording on gravity knives the law is so out of date for whats around now

Loz
Blades UK

Post by Loz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 pm

I think it's worth noting that linerlocks etc, at least as we know them, did not exist when this law was worded back in the 50's, it was aiming for some very specific knives which flicked into position the moment they were turned upside down and a button pressed, there are very few modern knives, even lockbacks that cannot be opened in the way described by the law. The facts are that despite the availability of modern folding knives, to my knowledge no-one has been prosecuted under the 1959 law for having one, there are, however, several prosecutions for possessing what any person would recognise as a flick knife. nuff said.

Moon

Post by Moon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Owner7771 wrote:Thanks moon thats what I thought it does mean that two of the big UK supliers are selling illegal knives in the UK I just wasnt sure on the wording on gravity knives the law is so out of date for whats around now
Don't thank me mate, I'm only repeating what HMRC have stated when they've seized knives which they deemed to be gravity knives upon inspection at the point of import over the past few years.
I don't believe that any UK suppliers are selling "illegal knives", the pivot on many folders can be adjusted so that the blade opens under centrifugal force and locks into position and as Loz has pointed out, this does not make the knife illegal under the Act of 1959 which was aimed at true gravity knives and switchblades.

Owner7771

Post by Owner7771 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:59 pm

I actually looked at the axis lock and why it released from the handle with a flick and its actually a very simple reason when you pull the axis lock back it partially opens the blade only a 1/4 of an inch but that breaks the retention as such it does not open wholy by centrifugal force. Although it doesnt matter as it is only for My slowly growing collection and although I do edc as a tool its only either a honeybee or at the outside if I know I am going to have to use said tool a UK PK. The honeybee is on my keys so even if I have the UKPK on me I have that one too :)