Any martial arts experts about?

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lone Wolf

Any martial arts experts about?

Post by Lone Wolf » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 pm

As a bored stay at home mum I've decided I should get out at least once a week and meet new people and do something, I want to do martial arts if the times are right and it's affordable but I'm not sure what it is I want to do.

Obviously I would love to do weapons based training of some kind but I looked into that some years ago and found Kendo classes too rich for my blood and the nearest Wushu place was miles away.

Having watched far too many films like Ong Bak, Chocolate and The Raid I've now become interested in that but have no idea what that general style is, I know Tony Jaa knows many and I have no idea what is practiced in The Raid, but as a woman I think one that uses your legs and elbows instead of fists is more suited to a lady so I would like to hunt for classes in something like that, can anyone suggest the names of such styles so I can search for classes round me?

Cheers.

outcast

Re: Any martial arts experts about?

Post by outcast » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

tony jaa is a muay thai exponant and thats what ong bak is about. he also has supposodly studied brazilian ju-jitsu and taekwando

there shoud be a club/ gym in your area for muay thai that may be classed as thai boxing but try the brazilian capoeria which is the one that they have music with if you like dance as that is rhythmical

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:51 pm

capoeria is what the black guy does in Tekken, don't like that, cheers for the names I'll hunt for some Muay Thai and taekwando (I was thinking that one anyway) round here that takes place at times I can attend. :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

There's thousands of self instruction drills and DVDs and clips on YouTube, that's your best bet for weapons based training, but I'd use a bokken if I where you, or just a very blunt katana

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:21 pm

TBH mate the focus is getting out and meeting people, as a mum to a toddler I barely get out and about anymore I allready wee wee about indoors with nunchuck, just want to get out more and do something I enjoy and being a girl I think leg based combat is more suited.to me.

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Many thousands of years ago in my youth I did a few lessons of Karate, Teakwando & Aikido, my undoubted favourite was Aikido, it is very effective & suitable for any age, build & gender, an example was me being put down by an 11 year old girl, I was 20 & twice her size! if you want to see high level Aikido action watch any Steven Segeal movie, I cannot recommend it highly enough and were I not stricken with fibromyalgia I would take it up again in an instant, I wish all the best in whatever martial art you decide to pursue, Martin.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 am

Lol! Martin got beat up by a little girl! **nuns*

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 am

he lies geordie it was his mum walloped him for answering back :oops: :> :>

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Lol we've all had that experience :roll:

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 pm

hurts dont it arrrr :trout

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:08 pm

the blade master wrote:hurts dont it arrrr :trout
Nope martins mum does it the right way! Lololololol!! :mrgreen:

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Don't mean to put a downer on things guys, but my mother passed a little over 3 year ago & it's still a bit raw for me, I take no offence! were she still with us she would lol with us, and is no doubt doing so in heaven, it's just a bit painful for me at this time.
You would have laughed though, I'm not tall, 5'9", but this little put me on the floor with a simple wrist-lock, it's a great art, and I forgot to mention, some schools also teach basic sword training as well.
All the best, Martin. :D

the blade master

Post by the blade master » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:18 pm

my condolences martin

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Thank You, I appreciate it, it was sudden & unexpected, I think that is why it is still so painful, but she would not want me to be upset or miserable, she would have laughed at the comments, as I laughed, I hadn't realized how funny it sounded, you were both spot on, beaten up by a little girl, rofl, cheers guys, I haven't laughed like that for ages, best wishes, Martin.