anyone looking forward to ninja shadow warriors.

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lone Wolf

anyone looking forward to ninja shadow warriors.

Post by Lone Wolf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 pm

On yesterday at 10pm friday.

Looks interesting.

http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/item/aid/655984

liquidator96

Re: anyone looking forward to ninja shadow warriors.

Post by liquidator96 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 pm

If I remember to watch it I will, I just hope it won't be to 'hollywood', :D

Serious666

Post by Serious666 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 am

I've just set the recorder. Should be intersting :D

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Sounds good, hope they dispel some of the mythology

Serious666

Post by Serious666 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

We can only hope.

Spring Forest

Post by Spring Forest » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Ringed on Friday's viewing page... thank you for drawing my attention to it.

Being a man of leisure ( and the odd hangover ), I watched a fascinating 'Raiders of the Lost Past' episode the other afternoon about the Honjo Masanume. It's available on YT if you want to take a gander ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xar5meJgc

If any of our American members find anything of interest in their Grandpa's attic remember to post pics here before you go to Sotherby's.

Moon

Post by Moon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Spring Forest wrote:Ringed on Friday's viewing page... thank you for drawing my attention to it.

Being a man of leisure ( and the odd hangover ), I watched a fascinating 'Raiders of the Lost Past' episode the other afternoon about the Honjo Masanume. It's available on YT if you want to take a gander ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xar5meJgc

If any of our American members find anything of interest in their Grandpa's attic remember to post pics here before you go to Sotherby's.
Thread about the Honjo Masamune http://forum.blades-uk.com/phpbb3/viewt ... o+Masamune ;)

Dotanuki2K

Post by Dotanuki2K » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 am

Spring Forest wrote: If any of our American members find anything of interest in their Grandpa's attic remember to post pics here before you go to Sotherby's.
Hey, you never know. ;)
My dad was a marine who fought in the pacific theatre during WWII.
He never talked about it much. but when my brothers and I were adults and all heavily into the martial arts he dug out some of his stuff he brought home with him, some 30+ years after the wars end.
He had a japanese silk flag battlefield trophy taken off a japanese vehicle still covered with dried mud.
Couple of days later we were all looking for the flag because it seemed to have disappeared.
My mom goes "Oh, That nasty thing I washed it, it's in the basement"
When we retrieved the flag instead of being white with the red dot in the middle, it was now a bright pink, the red having bled into the white.
My poor dad didn't say a word, just walked out of the room.
All the while my mom going on that it was nasty. :roll:

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:48 am

I don't know why America hasn't been ordered by the un or someone to return all those weapons they are stolen goods many of which ripped from the walls of family homes where they had been for years, the fact they took em home as trophies makes it even worse.

The stuff the Nazi's nicked has been returned, well attempts have been made to return it all, we've returned stuff.

Moon

Post by Moon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:I don't know why America hasn't been ordered by the un or someone to return all those weapons they are stolen goods many of which ripped from the walls of family homes where they had been for years, the fact they took em home as trophies makes it even worse.

The stuff the Nazi's nicked has been returned, well attempts have been made to return it all, we've returned stuff.
Most of the swords that were taken as 'trophies' by troops of all nations that fought in Asia and the Pacific were Showato (not made using the traditional method) and are illegal in Japan today, if any of these swords were to be returned they would be seized and destroyed, all swords were in Shin Gunto mounts including the estimated less than 5% that were gendaito (made in the traditional way) and there is no way of knowing which sword belonged to any particular serviceman as no records exist.
GIs never raided homes and ripped blades from walls, all weapons including swords, with the exception of votive blades kept at temples and shrines, were required to be surrendered but many weren't and were hidden away and that's why so many survive in Japan to this day...the bottom line is that the Japanese don't want them back except for the Honjo Masamune, if it ever surfaces.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Many of them where melted down, the honjo Masamune may not have left Japan, the japanese custody officers couldn't always spell the name of the Americans that confiscated the swords, so they used to spell it out in phonetics incorrectly, making it very hard to track down.

Dotanuki2K

Post by Dotanuki2K » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:15 pm

You really should know your subject matter before making statements about things you really know nothing about.
Gen. MacArthur ordered the confiscation of japanese swords to break the martial spirit of Japan.
Either that or drop another damn A-bomb on them.
It had nothing to do with looting the country, something the japanese did to all the countries they invaded, BTW.
The Japanese were monsters in WWII, the countries they occupied in WWII still hate them to this day for what they did. (China and Korea)
They took Korean women and forced them into sex slave camps to service japanese soldiers.
Did you ever hear of the "Rape of Nanking"? When the Japanese invaded China or anywhere, atrocities flourished.
In Nanking, two Japanese officers held a contest (covered by the Japanese newspapers) beheading chinese.
They called it a draw after 50 when one bent his blade on a cut.
The surviving officer was tried as a war criminal and executed after the war.
I won't even go into how they treated POW's, but have you ever heard of ther "Bataan death march"?
Do you know that even the soldiers drafted into the japanese army as grunts considered it a death sentence?
They were just as cruel to their own troops.
Many famous Okinawan karate masters were draft dodgers who hid from the forced conscriptions. (Shimabuku and Uechi as examples) Those who didn't, didn't make it back.

liquidator96

Post by liquidator96 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm

I just hope the Ninja show is repeated as it clashes with a Richard Pryor concert on Dave, he was one of my Favorite stand-up's & I try to watch his stuff when I get the opportunity.

Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

That program on Yesterday said they did mount raids on homes looking for swords, everyone has done bad stuff in wars thats no excuse for keeping their stuff imo.

Regardless of how bad people behave at the time if you continue to hang on to resentment and not let bygones be bygones you increase the chance of sh*t kicking off again.

You go Dave Ja vu.

Geordie Ross

Post by Geordie Ross » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

The majority of the best katanas are back in Japan, they were bought back by a kind of heritage fund, there were big campaigns and adverts in the newspapers asking people to check what sword they have as some of them are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, people sent them back to japan to be professionally verified, unfortunately the honjo wasn't found.