Silicone?

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

liquidator96

Silicone?

Postby liquidator96 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 pm

I got talking to a plumber today, who as it happens owns a Katana purchased from Hong Kong, he keeps it coated with a light spray of Silicone, he also says he sprayed the inside of the saya with a little as well.
Is this an advisable practice?

the blade master

Re: Silicone?

Postby the blade master » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 pm

hi dave
i dont know about the blade but to my way of thinking putting any liquid inside the saya no matter how big or small the amount will
cause it to swell warp and split to some degree or other over time thats why some but not all saya,s have wax inside them to help stop this
not allways succesfull oh a usefull tip get a torch shine it inside the saya and take a looksee most often as not theres a piece of bubble wrap
in the bottom put there to help stop the blade rattling inside the saya but it traps a lot of oil there from oiling the blade get a wire coat hanger
straighten it out at one end put a small bend/ hook on it and fish it out (trapped oil helps to split/damage the saya.
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Cheers for the tip Mick, I always use Ren Wax on all my blades, even the Stainless Knives!
From my understanding, the Silicone acts as a Waterproof Barrier, :D

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Just been given a can of a silicone corrosion inhibitor spray used in aircraft engines - can't say what company uses it for obvious reasons but it's properties are similar to this safe to use on wood too and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for my blades but I suspect that collectors of Nihonto will disagree - as always. :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 am

Cheers Moon, much appreciated, :D

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:40 am

well you learn something new every day can you use silicone breast implants or are you going to end up looking a right tit for trying :> :>
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:23 am

:> :> :>

Return to “General Chat”