Favourites & Preferences.

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

liquidator96

Favourites & Preferences.

Postby liquidator96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Just a couple of questions;
1- What is your Current Favourite Knife in your collection & why.

2- Plain Edge or Part Serrated?
Unread postby liquidator96 » 18 Feb 2014 14:35

Since I asked;

My current Favourite is -
My Schrade Extreme Survival Knife SCHF9
Its my No.1 knife because I.M.O. its the only one I would feel confident about using it for anything & it coming back in one peice, I think it looks good to.

I prefer a plain edge, I feel it has more uses & its easier to maintain.

Lone Wolf

Re: Favourites & Preferences.

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 am

My elk ridge skinning knife because its gorgeous.

Moon

Postby Moon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:26 pm

The 'Puma White Hunter' is my fav'.
The small serrated section is ideal for cutting through really tough stuff.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Still got wood for my CS Laredo bowie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICias1vqko
Pimp or die baby!

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:30 pm

the outback bowie by downunder knives is one of my favourites
has two cutting edges the main one plus one on the recurve

hi moon
funny you should show the white hunter ive
just refurbished one for a friend of mine that
had been neglected a bit over the years.
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 pm

@Lone Wolf, a very elegant blade, I've yet to see a bad looking Elk Ridge.

@Moon, I've never see a knife like that before, very unique looking, any chance of a close up of the serrations?

@Larnz & Mick, awesome Bowies, love the coffin handle on the Laredo & the Outback has that Mick Dundee factor, amazingly enough someone actually broke there Outback Bowie, never thought I'd see that.

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm

liquidator96 wrote:@Moon, I've never see a knife like that before, very unique looking, any chance of a close up of the serrations?

Never seen one before Martin? I'm very surprised mate.

The PUMA® White Hunter knife is handmade in Solingen, Germany, and has long set the standard for the ultimate hunting knife. The PUMA White Hunter was developed in 1956 in conjunction with the East African Professional Hunter’s Association to be the leading knife for big game hunting.

I'm afraid that my camera skills are almost non-existant regarding close ups and that section of the blade is not what we know as serrated, it's more like a coarse hacksaw really, there's loads of pics on google.

Have a look for the Linder White Horse too which is a blatant rip-off of the Puma and about 80% cheaper.

This is the biggest knife I have with a 10" blade, completely useless for anything practical and one of the reasons why I'm not a great fan of large knives.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 pm

I had a look at the White Hunter,
Wow! Now that's an expensive knife, but from what I"ve read an incredible blade, custom steel & lasts forever seemingly, one reviewer has had his for 30+ years & its still going strong.
I see what you mean about the 'serrations' very different to 'normal' serrations, good jimping on the top of the blade as well.
Your spot on about the Linder being a cheap clone, you have a good 'un with the Puma. :D

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:21 pm

dave hi
not sure if your aware of this but the outback bowie by
downunder knives is the one used by mick Dundee in his
films.

and dave im sure ive seen the white hunter
go on ebay for over £300 plus

and guys
if any of you have leather grips on your knives
what treatment do you give the leather to keep
them in good condition just curious is all

oh just rememberd dave
there is a video of that outback being repairerd
and the reason for it breaking ( trying to hack through dried out hardwood and I mean hack apparently the pil***k
was using it like an axe that knife is built like a tank and the threaded piece that broke is 8mm thick so he must have
been hammering it for it to break the way it did)
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 am

Got it on the nail Mick, the guy must have purposefully tried to destroy it, no one ot there right mind would use a knife, even one that good, to do those tasks with it, it's still on my 'Wants' list, as soon as the Mrs saw a pic, she decided she wants one as well! :D

Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:49 am

Crocodile dundee you say......how much is it and where can I buy one?

I want his hat too :mrgreen:

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am

hi l/w
ask Lawrence to get one in for you like I did it don't take long and a lot cheaper than any other u k retailer
as for his hat theres a place where those butch women come from where you can get one (not an exact copy but close enough) as
for the price of the bowie its $249.00 usd or £149.391 gb pounds (that's the price from the downunder home site)so may be cheaper
if bought from bucks plus a bonus of a real leather sheath too
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:47 pm

liquidator96 wrote:I had a look at the White Hunter,
Wow! Now that's an expensive knife, but from what I"ve read an incredible blade, custom steel & lasts forever seemingly, one reviewer has had his for 30+ years & its still going strong.
I see what you mean about the 'serrations' very different to 'normal' serrations, good jimping on the top of the blade as well.
Your spot on about the Linder being a cheap clone, you have a good 'un with the Puma. :D

I didn't pay the UK retail price for mine, I got it from a store in Berlin many moons ago for less than half of what they cost here at the time, still got the box and the 'Zertifikat' too but as much as I love it, I wouldn't pay the current silly price for a new one.

I bought this William Rodgers with 8" blade, brand spanking new for £4 over 45 years ago, they're still made today under a different company name which I can't link to as they sell blades, I sanded the stag handle down as it was very rough and would give a gorilla blisters after 10 minutes of hacking saplings etc, it's carbon steel which is very easy to sharpen and even easier to stain and rust. :mrgreen:

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:56 pm

hi moon
has your white hunter ever been used as it looks
too nice and shiney to have seen any use
mick

ps
moon I bought a bowie? similar to yours about 40 odd years ago
made in Sheffield about £3.50 if I remember rightly

ok guys
just to help out heres a close up of a similar knife to moons white hunter and the serrations

forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:45 pm

the blade master wrote: hi moon
has your white hunter ever been used as it looks
too nice and shiney to have seen any use
mick

I've used it quite a lot Mick, the blade has tiny scratches over it right now but they'll come out with a little polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease, they don't come with a highly polished mirror finish and it'll only get scuffed again anyway. :D

the blade master wrote:ps
moon I bought a bowie? similar to yours about 40 odd years ago
made in Sheffield about £3.50 if I remember rightly

There weren't many knives in the UK not made in Sheffield years ago Mick - Geronimo the famous Apache Indian chief carried one made by George Wolstenholm who had offices in New York and San Francisco at one time in the mid to late 19th century when there was a huge export market for knives made in Sheffield and Solingen which is in Germany, as you know.
The knife in the pic above is exactly the same as mine, 11 6375 is the Model # and 104 means that it was made in the first half of 2004, there'll be a tiny indent on the opposite 'cheek' from the Rockwell hardness test. ;)

Return to “General Chat”