Favourites & Preferences.

Chat with like minded people. Post anything in 'general' from latest happenings in the media to whats your favourite food!

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

the blade master

Re: Favourites & Preferences.

Postby the blade master » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 pm

yes j
ive read a fair piece about the bowie history how there was a mad rush by folks to buy bowie knives after the sandbar fight
makes real interesting reading pity the real bowie dissapered after the Alamo as nobody really knows what it looked like
wonder if it was like the one resin passed/sold on to a friend
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Moon

Postby Moon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 pm

the blade master wrote:yes j
ive read a fair piece about the bowie history how there was a mad rush by folks to buy bowie knives after the sandbar fight
makes real interesting reading pity the real bowie dissapered after the Alamo as nobody really knows what it looked like
wonder if it was like the one raisin passed/sold on to a friend

Rezin Bowie commissioned quite a few large knives as gifts for influential dignitaries who could have been of use to him after his brother James fled to Texas to evade his creditors, problems with all the Bowie brothers' involvement in the illegal slave trade, land fraud and then got himself seriously killed - he wasn't the folk hero portrayed in the movies by a very long chalk from what I've read.
None of the pics I've seen of these knives look anything like the 'Bowie' as we know it - they're more like a long butcher's knife with no clip point or guard and despite what anybody may claim or theorise, no matter how educated they may be, it will remain a mystery forever.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:22 am

aye a mystery it is but it sure has gained a helluva following thats for sure
forum moderator

a wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can from a wise answer
the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm

talking of knives my collection is very much missing a quality naplese kukri. Theres a certain 'house' that does some nice ones.
Pimp or die baby!

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:36 pm

Big Lazy wrote:talking of knives my collection is very much missing a quality naplese kukri. Theres a certain 'house' that does some nice ones.

ask lawrence and see if he has any left i sold to him they were quality tora/himalayan imports items
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 am

the blade master wrote:aye a mystery it is but it sure has gained a helluva following thats for sure

Bit like a religion with a billion worshipers where none of them know what their god looks like. :D

I came across this when my interest in Jim and Rezin Bowie was perked again by this thread...

...which supports those who believe that the original 'Bowie' looked nothing like it's modern day version and the only thing that we can be absolutely sure of is that we shall never know for sure...if that makes sense. :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:43 pm

makes sence to me somewhat

now a question moon when someone mentions a butcher knife this is what comes to mind
to me do you think its possible this is what they were describing in the early 1830,s
or something like this

or something more like this

here,s a drawing of my interpretation of their description of said knife what do you reckon (only did half a tang paper ran out lols)

or maybe something like this the only difference between mine and the description is mines wider at 2.50 ins theres is stated at 1.50 ins mines 12.25 ins long theres is 9.50 (the blade size)
forum moderator

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:00 pm

the blade master wrote:
Big Lazy wrote:talking of knives my collection is very much missing a quality naplese kukri. Theres a certain 'house' that does some nice ones.

ask lawrence and see if he has any left i sold to him they were quality tora/himalayan imports items
Ah nice one, cheers
Pimp or die baby!

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:21 pm

your welcome

guys if any one would like a white hunter but cant afford one theres an exact copy
made by linder called the white horse probably a lot cheaper too
forum moderator

liquidator96

Postby liquidator96 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Thats a great looking 'Bowie' knife you have there Mick, did I see something like that on B-Uk?
As for the Linder copy, you can get them for about £80, quite a bit cheaper than the real White Hunter's £400!

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 pm

aye its a solid piece not half bad for the money it was bought from buks theres a similar
item under butterfly knives at bucks
forum moderator

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:05 pm

the blade master wrote:makes sence to me somewhat

now a question moon when someone mentions a butcher knife this is what comes to mind
to me do you think its possible this is what they were describing in the early 1830,s
or something like this

here,s a drawing of my interpretation of their description of said knife what do you reckon (only did half a tang paper ran out lols)

or maybe something like this the only difference between mine and the description is mines wider at 2.50 ins theres is stated at 1.50 ins mines 12.25 ins long theres is 9.50 (the blade size)

I wouldn't like to comment Mick as anything I post would be pure speculation on my part and that's just not good enough, I don't accept other people's personal opinions as being anywhere near accurate without something to back them up and in this case there is very little, if any, hard evidence to go on, Rezin Bowie allegedly stated that he is not responsible for the designs and embellishments made by cutlers other than those he commissioned after his brother James' death and the demand for 'Bowie' knives sky rocketed.
Do a google image search for Rezin Bowie knife and you'll see more shapes and sizes than you can shake a stick at. :|

the blade master

Postby the blade master » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:54 am

cheers moon some of those pages made very interesting reading for sure
forum moderator

Maynar

Postby Maynar » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 am

the blade master wrote:makes sence to me somewhat

or something like this

Am I the only one who sees a reflection of Jabba the Hutt in that last pic? o_0
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. And the number of the counting, shall be three.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Mellony

Postby Mellony » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 am

Maynar wrote:Am I the only one who sees a reflection of Jabba the Hutt in that last pic? o_0

An epic observation! In-fact im now struggling to recognise it as a hand!
Semper cogitatio.

Return to “General Chat”