My toughest cut so far

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:52 pm

wtf? wrote:if you, and your blade survive.... that is. :roll:
I've been waiting for your arrival to this thread mate but I'm surprised that thats all you've said. Not sure whether to be pleased or dissapointed lol 8)

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:57 pm

trust me, theres a LOT more that i could say.... im just chossing to keep my gob shut, lest i say something about stupidity.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:02 am

I'd welcome any criticism on my cutting mate, with the absence of classes and things the information I get here is important to me so feel free. I'm big and ugly enough to take it

*prepares crying blanket* lol 8)

Moon

Post by Moon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:52 am

Wires are crossed I think,Angelus.
wtf?'s comment was directed at cutting,Yellow Pages etc,I believe?
See big_fella_andy on previous page.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:49 am

Yeah I know but I'd still welcome WTF's comments

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:26 am

in all fairness, i cant really comment. all i can see is the reasults of a sword vs cardboard tube.

the tube itself is a BAD target, its a fiberous material (sp?) and will total a blade, in a small amount of time... as well as bend, or snap a bodged cut... theres a REASON tatami is used. if cardboard tubes were a good target, they would sell it as a buget target, or something.

as far as the cut goes.... i should really say its ok, as it looks to be clean... but in the same breath, your using a sword.... it WILL cut things.

JSA's have nothing to do with cutting targets... its just a way to test technique, or the sharpness of the blade. i cant really coment on technique, or anything like that from pics of the finished cut. but id imagine there would be somthing for me to comment on.... good, or bad.

Post by 2841981 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:27 pm

wtf?-out of interest what martial srts do you study?

cheers
nath/2841981

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:11 pm

wtf? wrote:in all fairness, i cant really comment. all i can see is the reasults of a sword vs cardboard tube.

the tube itself is a BAD target, its a fiberous material (sp?) and will total a blade, in a small amount of time... as well as bend, or snap a bodged cut... theres a REASON tatami is used. if cardboard tubes were a good target, they would sell it as a buget target, or something.

as far as the cut goes.... i should really say its ok, as it looks to be clean... but in the same breath, your using a sword.... it WILL cut things.

JSA's have nothing to do with cutting targets... its just a way to test technique, or the sharpness of the blade. i cant really coment on technique, or anything like that from pics of the finished cut. but id imagine there would be somthing for me to comment on.... good, or bad.
Will have to agree with the bristolian on this, seeing as he hasn't flamed ya! 8)
Although Angelus is only practicing cutting, he's not really practicing a JSA, as he has no further knowledge on it, like many on these forums.

As for targets, if you can successfully soak the tube without it folding in on itself, and maybe stuff some tissue inside it, it may prove to be a better cutting target which is kinder to the blade.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:03 pm

I'll bear that in mind for next time, thanks for the advice guys :D

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:55 am

2841981 wrote:wtf?-out of interest what martial srts do you study?

cheers
nath/2841981
kenjutsu, and iaijutsu... and by extension, iaido, and kendo (we do a small amount of kendo, in house comps).

just getting confident with so-jutsu, and naginata jutsu.

Kempo Goshin Ju-Jutsu, which includes Tanto-Jutsu, Jutte Jutsu, and the use of the Yawara bo.

and ive just given up Wing Chun.

Post by 2841981 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:49 pm

:|

thats a hell of a lot considering there is only 24 hours in a day

nath/2841981

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:08 pm

wtf, you study MJER iai?
How much kendo do you actually do and why so little? Do you find it helps at all if you only partake every now and then?

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:10 pm

thats a hell of a lot considering there is only 24 hours in a day
24hrs in a day, but 7 days in a week. it also helps that some of my work, is also some of my training.
wtf, you study MJER iai?
How much kendo do you actually do and why so little? Do you find it helps at all if you only partake every now and then?
a version of MJER iai. its tought in a less traditional way, and focuses on combative effectiveness, over Martial Artistry. so its MJER techniques, tought in a non-traditional way.

the kendo is just to enact the kenjutsu in a controled way. if kendo didnt exist, we would have found another way to test the techniques in a more dynamic way.

its not so much that we do kendo... but we use kendo as a contact practice... not something you could do with kenjutsu. we also have 'hard sessions' which dispence with shinai, and go straight to bokken..... its not too fun, sometimes... but you can be sure of your weaknesses.

Sprog

Post by Sprog » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:15 pm

holy crap wtf?

Christ, theres probably 10 different ways you could kill me in one move. Anyone that gets in a fight with you must just like. Die.

Thats impressive! Kinda envy too >_>

Well, just stopping by to collapse.

Sprog

AndrewBlock

Post by AndrewBlock » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:00 pm

great.