newbie question about sharpening...

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Morphy

newbie question about sharpening...

Post by Morphy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:39 pm

Ok. I've got my Celtic sword, and while I've no intention of actually cutting stuff with it (least of all myself or someone else), I'd still like it to be sharp. So, I've ordered a sharpening kit.

I'm presuming that sharpening a sword is just a matter of running the sharpening stone towards the sword edge, working from the hilt to the point... but usually when I presume ANYTHING I make some sort of awful cock-up.

So... as a noob, are there any 'must do' or must not's I should be aware of? I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me or point me to a thread or webpage. I'd like to do this right.

Thanks!

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:11 pm

sharpening a sword which has no edge on it is a long process files are usually used to create a bevel which can then be worked on to a good level of sharpness with stones and or sandpaper...using a stone with no prior experience can be tricky and frustrating not to mention the issue of what type of bevel is required for a sword (appleseed style) as opposed to a knife (inclined bevel) the sword should also not be to sharp as the mass of the sword helps the cut not so much the edge sharpness..

search for sharpening guides on the web as they do exsist but remember that a sword requires correct geometry on the edge (as stated) otherwise it will be prone to chipping etc

practice on old kitchen knives (larger the better) or a machete the more practice you get the better as some practice means less mistakes (the most common being scuffing the blade with the stone)

sandpaper techniques require more effort but the results are worth it (imho) do a forum search on sandpaper theres a rough guide somewhere.

kind regards

kind regards

Morphy

Post by Morphy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:25 pm

Thanks Darksun - I can see that the subject IS a lot more complicated than I expected (inclined bevel? Appleseed? :| )

I'll look for those guides - thanks!

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:58 pm

I had a little go at sharpening my Celtic sword the other night and have managed to put a bit of an edge on it, but sections that I had spent the same time sharpening are still quite blunt. It's gonna need a bit more time and effort to get this baby up to 'battle ready' sharpness.

Morphy

Post by Morphy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:25 pm

The Larnster wrote:I had a little go at sharpening my Celtic sword the other night and have managed to put a bit of an edge on it
What are you using to sharpen it? Mine was reasonably sharp when it arrived, enough that I nearly had a nasty accident while wiping the grease off it!

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:43 pm

When I talk about sharpness I'm usually comparing it to my other swords, this in comparison was pretty blunt. Saying that if you run your finger down a butter knife with enough force you'll cut yourself, same as you would this sword.

I personally like my swords to have a sharper edge, hence why I sharpened it. I've been using a sharpening stone from my local hardware shop. I wouldn't dare use this on one of my Chen swords but for a cheaper blade like this its fine.

Blades-UK are now selling a Gerber sharpening stone (similar to what I'm using but of a much higher quality) and thats maybe a good choice for this sword.

Morphy

Post by Morphy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:57 pm

The Larnster wrote:Blades-UK are now selling a Gerber sharpening stone (similar to what I'm using but of a much higher quality) and thats maybe a good choice for this sword.
I've already ordered the kit with the two stones and the oil. I think my celtic sword is going to be my 'learning sword'. I'll see how it goes when the kit arrives, and I'll try to do some reading before then.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:01 pm

Best thing is this sword has a real battle field look to it anyway, so the blade doesn't have to look perfect (like a Chen katana does)

Sharpen away like a mad man dude (just watch the old fingers) :D

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:43 pm

Hell yea I was avaraging about 3 cuts a day when I was sharpening and polishing my sword, not exagerating.

Sprog

Post by Sprog » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:44 pm

Blackbird wrote:Hell yea I was avaraging about 3 cuts a day when I was sharpening and polishing my sword, not exagerating.

At uh... at least it proved it was sharp, though, right?

>_>

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:49 pm

mate she took a long thin slice of skin of the side of me thumb before I realised it had happened, yea shes sharp :twisted: Shame I gotta sell her.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Blackbird wrote:mate she took a long thin slice of skin of the side of me thumb before I realised it had happened, yea shes sharp :twisted: Shame I gotta sell her.
Which sword are we talking about? Surely not your GO :|

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Noooo the new elfy one thats gonna be sold on BUK when Loz remembers to put the pic up 8)

Sprog

Post by Sprog » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:20 pm

Sell it? Bah thats a crime.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:23 pm

>sigh< I know but I gotta.