what film?

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

flender

what film?

Post by flender » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:14 pm

I dont know if anyone can help me as i dont have much info to offer,but i am trying to find the name of a film i saw a few years ago.
It is a sort of modern Samurai film,filmed in English language,probably set in Japan and probably made in the 90`s maybe 80`s.
I remember a vicious sword fight between one gang and a man and woman who were onboard a modern train carriage as it sped along.
Then later the man is staying at some sort of feudal lords palace/castle and he strikes up a relationship with the swordsmith based there and he ends up using a sword that has just been forged for the lord.
when the lord finds out he is furious and is about to kill the man when the castle is attacked by a rival gang.
Thats about all i remember,but i seemed to think it was a good film (at the time) sorry there is not much to go on but you know how it is watching these late night films from years ago.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what this film is i would love to hear them,
Thanks

Banzai Joe

Post by Banzai Joe » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:26 pm

Did this film have the guy who was in Backdraft (Scott Glenn)?

flender

Post by flender » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 pm

I really cant remember,i do know Scott Glenn so i think i would have remembered him but im really not sure.
I dont think it was him,but i will look up his films and see if one of them sounds familiar.

flender

Post by flender » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:23 pm

I think i may have found it!
It doesnt have Scott Glenn,but i started with him and then one link led to another and another and so on until i ended up with "The Hunted" which sounds similar to the film im looking for.
I will see if i can pick up a dirt cheap copy somewhere and see if its the film im after.
Thanks for the info,although it seems scott glenn was not involved,it coincidently started a multi link which may have led me to the right film.
cheers mate.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:25 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113360/photogallery

its the hunted (1995)... theres a woman in it, with a small bow.

the main japanese charicter teaches in a kendo dojo. he loses his sword because he snaps it on the train.

Christopher lambert learns how to use a sword in a reverse grip... from the mostly drunken, swordsmith.

flender

Post by flender » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:49 pm

yeah its the hunted allright,looks pretty cheap and nasty from the pics and the score on imdb is low as well.but i remember enjoying it,so i will still source a cheap copy to watch.
Have you seen it wtf,what did you think of it?
I thought i would have remembered Chris Lambert being in it.

wabhimself

Post by wabhimself » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:01 pm

l seen that a coupla year ago too, the dude snapped his sword on the train because the police wanted it as evidence if l remember right, plus there were boobs in the film :D

matrix

Post by matrix » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:07 pm

wabhimself wrote: there were boobs in the film :D
now i remember them, er, it! :D
film is entertaining enough as long as you have a couple of bevvies to quench the critic inside,lol

flender

Post by flender » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Swords,boobs,Ninjas,.....i`m definately gonna get me a copy of this film now!
Bring on the beers.

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:26 pm

wabhimself wrote:l seen that a coupla year ago too, the dude snapped his sword on the train because the police wanted it as evidence if l remember right, plus there were boobs in the film :D
Joan Chen's boobs, to be precise!!!

"Tamate....."

"Oh... Shut up?"

*nods*

bit of useless triia for ya.... John Lone played Kinjo, the head of the Makato ninja clan.... he played the emporer in "The Last Emporer" (excellent movie!!!)

Also... The guy that played Takeda...... if anyone's seen "Azumi", h played the instructor/leader/teacher of the band of assasins to which Azumi belonged. I was well pissed off he was defeated so easily in that film as he's a f*cking amazing swordsman (going by "The Hunted", but taking into account it was coreographed etc...)

And that drunken smith, Oshima...... Bloody character and a half!!!

Great movie!!!

*edit*....

Who else noticed Toshishiro Obata as Kinjo's right hand man in the ninja camp.....? (H)