Lovely Seax

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Caladras

Lovely Seax

Post by Caladras » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Found this on a website a while ago and just spent a looong time trying to track down the pictures, anyway found them. They're made by some dude in Canada and I think they are stunning!

What do you guys think?

Cal

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:16 pm

Hilts and scabbards are impressive, going by the pics supplied but the blades look too bland...... "machined" :S

*Calls on the Mighty Darksun to show forth his seaxes*

Caladras

Post by Caladras » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Yeah would love to see some of Darksun's stuff.

I think you're right about the blades though, only pics of them on the website, i'll have a dig around to try and find some making of info. There're expensive though, £500

[EDIT]

Just found this from the website, seems like he hand forges most of his swords, even if those blades don't look it.

"I hand forge my monosteel blades out of W1 high carbon steel or L6, and my pattern-welded blades are forged out of O1 and L6. I harden my blades by quenching in a light oil at 1500 degrees Fahrenheit. I then reduce the stress in the hardened blade by double tempering at between 475 and 500 degrees for two cycles of 1 hour each. This process produces a hardness of approximately 54 to 57 Rockwell C. I'm also currently in the process of building a low temperature salt pot, so I will be able to Marquench my blades producing very tough hardenned steel."

Cal

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:59 am

Caladras wrote:Yeah would love to see some of Darksun's stuff.

Just found this from the website, seems like he hand forges most of his swords, even if those blades don't look it.
got a couple of shots of my seax one is 6th century hogs back style with a blade made up from 3 bundles, twisted alternately, of 11 layers each welded as a core , with a wrought iron strip welded along the back, the edge is en43 (a total of 7 forge welds to create *afaik*), the other is a 9th century herring bone pattern, the 6th century one has an ash hilt with cast bronze fittings and incised runes. the 9th century one has ash hilt with an antler end cap and ferrule.

this pic shows both with the black arrow pointing to the incised silver tir rune incised into the wrought iron portion of the blade.

both seax view lengthways

and finally a reasonably good view of the pattern of the 6th century ones blade (pics really dont do this piece justice just ask anyone who has seen it as a few people on the forums have)

i like the seax you posted but for me if its not pattern welded it just does not have the same raw appeal to me they are still lovely pieces though if a little pricey for my taste.

kind regards

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:02 am

Pics arent working but I think I know the gye you mean I love his stuff but more for the carving work on the hilts and scabbards than the blades themselves.

Caladras

Post by Caladras » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Yeah I have to agree, it is the woodwork that makes them. If they had the same sort of blades as Darksun's do then I think they'd be fantastic pieces. Ah well, maybe someone from scotland could do something about it. 8)