The making of swords

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:00 pm

their REALLY simple to make to be honest... parts are widely avalible and cheap. a small gas forge will cost about £80 for the forge itself, and then its just gas. things get more expensive with temperature gauges which are needed for beginers like us.

the hardest and most expensive thing to get is a linishing band, and good polishing stones. the linishing band is the god of all bladesmithing tools. saves SO much time, and can be used in SO many ways. sadly, a small one costs about £200, and thats only really usefull for small blades (under 12") anything larger, and you hit a lot of snags.

after seeing the work you've done on wood, id like to see how a full scale blade turns out... did you have any particular idea's for your first project?
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:05 pm

In all honesty Ied love to do an Elven Warrior sword thats just like the film one, dont get me wrong I love the one I've already done but I would like one thats fully functional with the same shaped blade as the film one with a leather over wood grip with the vine and fittings in brass. Failing that whatever inspires me at the time Ied still like to try making a small blade from those horseshoes I have just to see how it would turn out.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye
Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:09 pm

you shouldnt really go for something as complex as an elven sword. theres far too much work to be done for an amatuer. and the tools needed would cost a hell of a lot.

just the linishing band im upgrading to now cost £940 and thats only JUST big enough... the one i actually need costs more around £2600.

a small blade to get used to working the machines would be a good starting block... heat treating is the part that takes the most skill. shaping and grinding arnt THAT time consuming (when measured against the treating)
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:14 pm

It is the heat treating that would worry me the most as far as getting it right is concerned, I've done some grinding before so that doesnt worry me that much nethier does polishing if I'm honest. I know the basics and I will get better with experience just like with woodworking, I had probs carving a simple mouse when I started.
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye
Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:24 pm

the heat treating is something you have to really work at. i made 20 approximations of a tanto, and played with it before i even considered a serious heat treatment. that turned out ok, but had a really fading hamon, and was slightly soft.

had some nice utsuri around the hamon though... (i think thats the right term... ghosting and frostyness in the blade)
God i LOVE these things.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:29 pm

Hmmm Ied need a helluva lot of practice before I even thought about attempting anything with a hammon, I think Ied have a crack at damascus or a cable weild before I tryed anything like that.
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:39 pm

with damascus, or cable weld... you actually have to do a lot more work than a stock removed blade. you'd be taking on a huge project.

the blades i tested were all stock removed blades, and had a straight hamon... simple thing to do... it really is.
making a damascus blade to test on would be massively difficult, and pretty much imposible for someone new to forging.... plus you dont wanna be playing around with welding compounds... very nasty stuff!

thats the reason i used stock removed, roughly shaped blades... i could make 3 a day. would take a LOT longer to forge, and weld up a bar stock, let alone shape it into anything blade related. a lot of work for something your pretty much guarenteed, to screw up.
God i LOVE these things.