The making of swords

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Wolven Queen

The making of swords

Post by Wolven Queen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:58 pm

I was just wondering if the swords of blades-uk are made individualy or on an industrial scale, coz my dragon katana looks like it was made in a factory :cry:. Also, i was wondering if blades-uk makes custom swords, because im thinking of saving up for a blade made uniquily for me (whitch would mean it would be red and black with a wolf theme.)
And could somebody tell me plz, if you can customize decorative swords like the dragon katana from blades-uk?

hoping for posts,

W.Q

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:07 pm

ok...

Blades-UK is essentially a shop that sells items.

I would say the majority of these items are wall hangers/display models etc and designed to look "pretty" mounted on a bracket somewhere.

There are, however, some functional swords, (and this will cause some dissention in the ranks but I'm keeping it as simple as I can), such as Paul Chen, Cold Steel, Tony Long swords etc...

They are usually definable as functional by being more expensive but please, do look through the selection and ask any questions you may have about what you like... in general, you won't get laughed at, no matter how silly you think your question may seem :)we all start somewhere.

As regards customising existing swords... I think the most B-UK would go in this regard would be to possibly interchange the tsuba (guard) on a Paul Chen practical plus katana (PPK) before delivery to the purchaser.

You could contact Blades-UK directly to enquire whether thay still provide this service or not.

I'm not too sure about customising a stainless steel wall hanger with stock from B-UK but there's nothing to stop you from attempting it yourself... :)

I hope this helps in some way.

All the best with your endeavours,

HatchA

Wolven Queen

Post by Wolven Queen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 pm

thanks dude. :D

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:28 pm

On another note with regards to completely custom swords you are looking at a relatively large expenditure depending on type, I think somewhere above the £500 mark is accurate for most of the custom stuff that I've heard of, there are sword smiths around and in this case google if your friend

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:43 pm

Good man Angelus... I totally forgot to address that question...

and me with a custom on order too... :oops:

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm

HatchA wrote:Good man Angelus... I totally forgot to address that question...

and me with a custom on order too... :oops:
Bad Hatcha :tut: :> 8)

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:09 pm

There is one handmade sword on BUK fer a v reasonable price, goes by the name Iaun. :D

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:31 pm

[plug]
Blackbird wrote:There is one handmade sword on BUK fer a v reasonable price, goes by the name Iaun. :D
[/plug]

Hehe (K)

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:08 pm

do you actually forge those, BB? or they more in league with DS's modded blades?

Wolven Queen

Post by Wolven Queen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:23 pm

on the point of swords not being made by hand any more i have to say only one word: shame :cry:

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:44 pm

Wolven Queen wrote:on the point of swords not being made by hand any more i have to say only one word: shame :cry:
swords ARE being made by hand.....

one only has to search the web...

try entering the words forged+sword into google... or custom+sword....

you see the trend starting.....?

:D best of luck

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:20 pm

even factory swords are technically made by hand in some way.

even the most delicate custom blades use labour saving machines that wouldnt be held in the same light as pure hand forging... still makes a decent blade though... cant see how it matters.

Howard Clark uses machines to forge his L6 blades... still the best blade on the planet, without being truely hand forged.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:31 pm

wtf? wrote:do you actually forge those, BB? or they more in league with DS's modded blades?
Its definatly more of a modded blade, had a go at forgeing a few months back and it didnt exactly turn out well I think I really need the proper equipment. But the blade is CS and its had a helluva lot of work done to it.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:50 pm

fair enough BB takes a while to get used to working metal THAT much. the right tools really are a godsend though... id like to see what happens should you ever go that direction.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:54 pm

Hopefully by this time next year I will have made a fair start, am planning on (finally) moving out and getting a place with the BF by the end of this year so I'm planning on setting up my own little work shop with a equally little forge. Been reading up on small scale forges fer a while so I'm confident I could do a proper job of it.