zaitochi katana vid

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

zaitochi katana vid

Post by wtf? » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:15 pm

jesus this is some terrible footage.

about half way though, you should be able to hear me scream "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" see if you can work out where!

http://media.putfile.com/Zatoichi-Katana-Cut

Adurul

Post by Adurul » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:25 am

Does he put his right leg forward when cutting left?

Incorrect stance is my guess.

HatchA

Post by HatchA » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:34 am

Adurul wrote:Does he put his right leg forward when cutting left?

Incorrect stance is my guess.
nope

cos he does that cut from upper left to lower right.

(kesa giri from upper left to lower right)

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 am

I'm guessing because he does a one handed reverse grip kiriage cut to the outside :s That looks really unsafe

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:00 pm

Hatamoto wrote:I'm guessing because he does a one handed reverse grip kiriage cut to the outside :s That looks really unsafe
and we have a winner. lol

its ALL unsafe actually, the sword their using isnt meant for use. its a wallhanger. but that specific part had me almost crying.

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:04 pm

Really? It was kinda dark, how could you tell? To be honest I was looking more at the stance coz it was mentioned already, didn't look too hard at the sword.

Pretty silly...

Having said that, I recently *cough* dismantled (read "hammered to crap") a wallhanger I own to find it had a full tang. If that's the case, would stainless steel still be up to the job, or would it make it at least safer?

Not planning on trying it, was just wondering.

Post by 2841981 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 pm

i always thought a full tang ss sword could be used for keiko(sp?) if it was full tang and there was no contact, im pretty sure 440ss could be used if its full tang but im not too knowledgeable(sp?) on swords so whatever i've just said will probably get torn to shreds

nath/2841981

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:30 pm

right.....

stainless steel blades cant be used for anything bar decoration. it has NOTHING to do with the tang, the steel itself cant handle the stresses.

the blade in the vid is the zaitochi katana by hanwei. its a folded steel blade, but its still a wallhanger. in this case, its not the blade thats bad, its the fittings.

goes to show that just because a blade costs a lot, or looks pretty, because its folded steel, or whatever... doesnt mean its safe to use.

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Ah, I see, I thought stainless steel wasn't so flimsy as that when it came to cutting, thought it was more the security of the fittings and tang that made it risky to swing it about/cut with.

Thanks for the info.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:25 pm

its a mix of the both. stainless steel, at sword lenghts is brittle. at shorter lengths it can be perfect, but on a sword, its dangerous, regardless of tang, or whatever.

the fittings are also usually crap, which doesnt help. lol

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:35 pm

wtf? wrote:
the blade in the vid is the zaitochi katana by hanwei.
its not actually, as far as i know that is the video of a zaitochi katana by a well know chinese mainland forge operating through a USA ebay account i have a sword on order from the very same place (the blades are supposed to be very good for the money) the sword in the video (or in fact any wooden only tsuka type sword) should not be used to cut with though as it is not wrapped properly just a wooden tsuka with no same or cord etc therefore it is unsafe, as you pointed out.

no idea who linked the video or from where but the original thread is on SFI by the guy in the video reviewing the sword etc and the video is also linked in some of the ebay auctions with the permission of the chap in the vid of course.

kind regards

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:33 pm

ah right... may bad.

i was just going on the fact it had plain fittings. i have NO idea about the blades... they may be fantastic, even the hanwei ones. its the fittings, and using it as portrayed that got me crying. lol

wabhimself

Re: zaitochi katana vid

Post by wabhimself » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:14 pm

wtf? wrote:jesus this is some terrible footage.

about half way though, you should be able to hear me scream "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" see if you can work out where!

http://media.putfile.com/Zatoichi-Katana-Cut
heh just after the first cut isnt it?