another noob question ...

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

abz

another noob question ...

Post by abz » Sat May 06, 2006 11:05 pm

what make a Musashi Miyamato sword special ?

Moon

Re: another noob question ...

Post by Moon » Sun May 07, 2006 12:20 am

abz wrote:what make a Musashi Miyamato sword special ?
Absolutely nothing.

It was 'MM' who was regarded as "special" and not his 'swords'.
More info' at....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

As far as I know,there is not one single blade that can be substantiated as as being owned by 'MM' although a few 'claims' have been made.

It would appear that any Shinsakuto (modern made blade) 'daito' (long sword) with a 'two ring' design Tsuba is/can be called a 'Musashi' by many manufacturers and as the man has been dead for several hundred years,he has no copyright.
Please disregard any ad's on the 'net which bear the name of 'Musashi' and/or 'Miyamoto' unless they have the actual manufacturer listed too.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Sun May 07, 2006 9:29 pm

Yeh its true. The name 'Musashi' is almost like a brand name now, deceptive thing is that any bloody idiot can call their sword a 'musashi' sword, so yeh, look at the manufacturer. For example the Paul Chen Musashi Daito. You're getting a damn good quality sword, its a middle-priced paul chen after all, but that particular sword does not in any way relate to musashi other that its name.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 pm

Jaques wrote:but that particular sword does not in any way relate to musashi other that its name.
and i think the tsuba is meant to be a copy of a set found on a sword that was supposidly one of mushashi's
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Sun May 07, 2006 10:49 pm

wtf? wrote:
Jaques wrote:but that particular sword does not in any way relate to musashi other that its name.
and i think the tsuba is meant to be a copy of a set found on a sword that was supposidly one of mushashi's
Ah so thats where it comes from. I beleive I said in another thread earlier today that I didnt know the historical accuracy of the tsuba, but at least there's some justification, even if it is uncertain.

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Sun May 07, 2006 11:07 pm

its not a certainty by any means... its just a tsuba that is copied from one that MIGHT have been used... musashi has more fantasty attached to his name than lord of the rings, has.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

abz

Post by abz » Fri May 12, 2006 3:20 pm

:D kool tanxz alot