Thoughts on a sword ban...

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Mon May 29, 2006 5:41 pm

LadyPoison wrote: So hmmm sounds like the ban is specifically aimed at 'Samurai' swords, rather than all swords. Though why they're more worthy of a ban than other sword types seems to make little sense!!
I couldn't agree more. The whole thing sounds crazy. If a ban on "samurai swords" decides the next election, I'm emmigrating!

Tempest UK

Post by Tempest UK » Mon May 29, 2006 6:51 pm

The comparison to airsoft isn't for the sake of comparing an airsoft replica to a sword, it's to show how the goverment handle these things. It would be unrealistic for the police to undertake the massive operation of getting every sword-shaped-object out of people's homes.

The aim of a ban on import, sale and manufacture of swords would just aim to make it harder to obtain them (supposedly). They wouldn't be fussed about most of the SS wallhangers out there, because most of them don't pose a threat to anyone because they're owned by...well...sensible people (supposedly). The government is well aware that most people who own these things aren't usign them to kill people. The "pool"of swords available to criminals would (supposedly) dry up over the years.

Of course, when a ban like this has logic applied to it, it falls apart, but that's not what the government is interested in...

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Mon May 29, 2006 7:03 pm

I see. It would be different from the firearms ban because all legal owners had licences so were easy to trace. If all they do is ban import, sales and manufacture though, it'll probably just mean loads of over-priced swords on the black market.

I still don't see any kind of sword ban being good for the government. I can't believe anyone walks the streets in fear of being cut down by a "samurai sword".

BlackRonin

Post by BlackRonin » Mon May 29, 2006 7:04 pm

so has ay1 got statistics about murders committed and by which weapons

if so i would like to see numbers of deaths by car vs deaths by katanas

or sword vs knife vs guns
and a comparison between the above and media coverage

Tempest UK

Post by Tempest UK » Mon May 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:I see. It would be different from the firearms ban because all legal owners had licences so were easy to trace. If all they do is ban import, sales and manufacture though, it'll probably just mean loads of over-priced swords on the black market.

I still don't see any kind of sword ban being good for the government. I can't believe anyone walks the streets in fear of being cut down by a "samurai sword".
No, but the media has immense power over the government, and it's the media who push every single attack with a bladed implement up to "brutal attack with samurai sword" status, so that puts them under a lot of pressure to do something about it.

BlackRonin

Post by BlackRonin » Mon May 29, 2006 7:18 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:I see. It would be different from the firearms ban because all legal owners had licences so were easy to trace. If all they do is ban import, sales and manufacture though, it'll probably just mean loads of over-priced swords on the black market.

nah just arrested and imprisoned, oops held in custody (erm whats the diff) under false charges

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon May 29, 2006 7:18 pm

I had a random thought earlier on. Bokkens are illegal to have in public, even if your intentions are good (ie, me and my friend doing choreography next to my house because there's not enough room in my back garden to move around enough, etc), I figure because of the range. But steel toe capped boots are legal, legs are about as ranged as a bokken, you could still do damage if you punted someone with that.

That might be irrelevant to the thread, but I thought it's a good example of how intention could turn something into a weapon. Like the Mau Maus of the 50s, they wore pointed shoes so they could kick a person to death in minutes. That sort of thing.

As said, very fickle. Extremely inconsistent.

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Mon May 29, 2006 8:41 pm

Yep, it'll all works out fine for violent criminals. They can use any number of household objects (assuming they'd even give up their illegal weapons to start with), but the poor collector/martial artist can't really replace their swords with a bread knife and a length of pipe. :S
Last edited by Lexxorcist on Mon May 29, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackRonin

Post by BlackRonin » Mon May 29, 2006 8:46 pm

future possibilty

m artist goes on killing spree using only his hands and feet

pubic outcry no hands and feet allowed in public

as for me bring in a little america, the right to bare arms

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon May 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Hatamoto wrote: Like the Mau Maus of the 50s, they wore pointed shoes so they could kick a person to death in minutes.
Eh ?? :S
The Mau Mau were in Kenya and most of them didn't own a pair of flip flops never mind 'winkle pickers' but they didn't think twice about hacking people to death with machetes.

Bleeding Welsh. :roll:

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Mon May 29, 2006 9:11 pm

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when Okinawan karate was introduced here your hands were registered as weapons with the police. I wonder how they'd go about a ban on that one. :S

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon May 29, 2006 9:50 pm

Moon wrote:
Hatamoto wrote: Like the Mau Maus of the 50s, they wore pointed shoes so they could kick a person to death in minutes.
Eh ?? :S
The Mau Mau were in Kenya and most of them didn't own a pair of flip flops never mind 'winkle pickers' but they didn't think twice about hacking people to death with machetes.

Bleeding Welsh. :roll:
Are you thinking of the Maui tribe? The Mau Maus were about theo nly thing I actually took interest in in religious studies coz all the rest was circumcision and weddings :p *Looks up Nicky Cruz* Yup, definitely the Mau Maus. Wikipedia is taking yonks to load or I'd post the link, just to confirm I'm not just being a stubborn ass :) But even if the gang name was wrong, it was the example I was going for, not a history lesson 8) 8)

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon May 29, 2006 10:08 pm

Hatamoto wrote:Are you thinking of the Maui tribe? The Mau Maus were about theo nly thing I actually took interest in in religious studies coz all the rest was circumcision and weddings :p *Looks up Nicky Cruz* Yup, definitely the Mau Maus. Wikipedia is taking yonks to load or I'd post the link, just to confirm I'm not just being a stubborn ass :) But even if the gang name was wrong, it was the example I was going for, not a history lesson 8) 8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau

Temper,temper :D ..........:razz:

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Mon May 29, 2006 11:46 pm

Moon

Post by Moon » Tue May 30, 2006 11:00 am

Hatamoto wrote:Where's the temper? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Maus
Fair enough Guv' but I'd never heard of 'em. :S
Whereas I can actually remember the Mau Mau terrorists and their atrocities being reported on the News.
Hatamoto wrote:The Mau Maus were about theo nly thing I actually took interest in in religious studies
You actually learned about this gang in ''religious studies" ? :|

WTF's the World coming to. :D