Tai Chi swords and cutting?

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Angelus

Tai Chi swords and cutting?

Post by Angelus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Hey guys forgive my ignorance but are Tai Chi swords designed to hold an edge and be used for cutting or are they similar in design to the Iai swords? Reason I ask is I'm looking to treat myself to a new blade when I finish my exams, kind of a graduation gift to myself. Looking at a few different ones including the scottish court sword I posted about previously, this and the godfred viking sword. Just doing a bit of research, thoughts and opinions welcome

Edit: Oh the Tai Chi I was looking at is the one at the top of this page http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php ... 15&start=0

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:16 pm

I think the tip and upper edges are supposed to be sharp with the midsection being "sort of" sharp and the edges nearst the hilt being blunt for parrying.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye
Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

wtf?

Post by wtf? » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:26 pm

theres only really 1 combat version of chineese swords resembling tai chi blades. its a hanwei offering, and it costs quite a bit.

their not really weapons of any sort.... they WILL cut, but they wont last long due to their thickness.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 pm

wtf? wrote:theres only really 1 combat version of chineese swords resembling tai chi blades. its a hanwei offering, and it costs quite a bit.

their not really weapons of any sort.... they WILL cut, but they wont last long due to their thickness.
So in your opinion not worth going for apart from its aesthetic (spelling?) qualities?

Lexxorcist

Post by Lexxorcist » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:45 pm

No idea, but I like it. Seems cheap too. *counts pennies*

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:58 pm

I have a tai chi sword and although I was impressed with it at the time I've gone right off it now, and its gone all rusty too. I always saw them as a quick striking/stabbing weapon myself rather than a cutter
Pimp or die baby!

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:55 pm

They won't really cut anything of substance, yes only the top half/third is sharpened and that's all you need for cutting but however you look at it there's only about a cm by a few mm to cut with and personally I wouldn't attempt to cut anything more substantial than a cardboard box. Nice looking, yes, quick in the hand, yes. Suitable for cutting, I seriously doubt it.

p.s. I thought about buying myself something shap and pointy too... but I went to town and bought several pairs of shoes instead

Hatamoto

Post by Hatamoto » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 pm

A friend of mine bought the Adam Hsu Jian. If I remember right, the handle and scabbard were kinda plastic-y, but the blade was very nice. Had a nice shape to it that made delightful sounds as you swung it. Completely blunt, but lovely to wield.. The duck bill scabbard was quite appreciated, I hate when katanas rattle in the scabbard as you carry them.

Ultimately I'd say it's up to what you wanna use it for, really. It seems suitable for forms, but that's probably about it.. And I think you could get it for cheaper if you google for it.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

darkhobo

Post by darkhobo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:39 am

I have a chen tai chi sword. Nice looking sword, was always to my understanding they were more of a stabbing sword, sort of a chinese rapier type of sword. Blade is so thin I dont really trust trying to cut anything with it. I have stabbed some bottles. It slides right in. I wasn't sure it penetraded the bottle at first because no water was leaking out, turns out it was just so thin of a hole no water leaked.
Mos wrote: Americans :roll:
Mos wrote: ill say it again Americans
Simoriax wrote: well what do you know, i love americans! :)

sprout

Post by sprout » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:02 am

Its a shame they are all scholar Jians rather than martial Jians.
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park
don't click this link...

jon45

Post by jon45 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:29 am

I have both the Chen Tai Chi swords on that page. Neither are up to cutting anything substantial. If you learn a proper Tai Chi Sword routine it is mostly deflection parries and small cuts and thrusts, not like the moves you would do with a katana at all.

Of the 2 Tai Chi swords the Adam Hsiu has the stiffer and heavier blade. The brown plastic handle and scabbard look a bit naff though. The main problem with mine is that the sword lock that holds the blade in the scabbard is very stiff and it is a bit of a wrestling match to draw the sword. For that reason alone I prefer the PC 2008 for Tai Chi practice.