The Imperial Forge Wakizashi

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

McItoshi

The Imperial Forge Wakizashi

Post by McItoshi » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:27 am

This being a sword forum I thought id share my latest acquisition with you all
A folded steel wakizashi from “The Imperial Forge” another outfit from china.

A bit of blurb from the retailer
Keeping with Japanese traditions our Imperial Sword Collection is crafted using only traditional materials and fittings. The Tsuba (guard), Fuchi (collar), and Kashira (pommel) are expertly made and finely crafted from black iron. The Habaki (blade collar) is hand made out of polished brass and each tsuka (handle) is covered in ray skin and tightly wrapped in the traditional cross over style ito (braid) with green cord. It takes time to produce folded blades of this quality and this is why our Imperial Sword Collection is more difficult to acquire.

My first impression: oooo pretty

I hobbled together some pics I took in a hack&paste flash slideshow which can be seen here.
more will follow if anyone wants or requests a pic of something I haven’t done.

My dodgy photography aside this is a very nice sword though I have to say some of the fittings look to be done on the cheap like the menuki not to the same standard as those found on my pc swords but still nice enough and the sageo and tsuka ito looks to be made from what I think is . . em . . nylon :| its certainly not cotton, but it is very well wrapped and the blackened same is very much to my likening.
One other thing about the fittings there not “antiqued” woo :D there just blackened, no idea what the tsuba is supposed to be though, going to fit a new one if I ever find somewhere that sell’s wak tsubas I’ll also chance the copper seppa to brass ones.

As for the blade, this is where they spent the money, very very nice blade the pattern is great and the hamon is very subtle it is there just not visible in the pics, this a feature I really like when compared to the artificially enhanced offerings on pc blades. Another feature l like is the grove in the blade, makes a lovely sound and really enhances the look of the blade, but that may just be me.

Haven’t dismounted it yet everything is good and solid and I’ll keep it that way, till I come to change the tsuba anyway.

If anyone wants me to elaborate on anything I’ll certainly try.

Note I got this sword for less that half the retail price, the retailer no longer wants to sell sword and has slashed there priced to clear stock so I’m very pleased with what I got for my money.
But because of the fittings I would have been slightly peeved if I had paid full price for it at £474 but with there katana at only £574 I will most likely be saving for this as id say it was easily comparable to the pc bushido and the blade looks very very nice.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:53 am

I couldn't get your link to work but yes I'd be interested in seeing some pics if you could please

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:42 am

Looks nice mate, I like the display at the end :D

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:57 am

Angelus wrote:Looks nice mate, I like the display at the end :D
Ditto. You have too many Japanese swords though. 8)

Get yourself some proper European swords. :>

McItoshi

Post by McItoshi » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Larny Boy wrote:I couldn't get your link to work but yes I'd be interested in seeing some pics if you could please
sory larn cant think why ? . . not wanting you to miss out larn i took some new ones today with it beside the pp wak for comparison, normal pics see'able here
Ditto. You have too many Japanese swords though.

Get yourself some proper European swords.
lol rubbish ! but im not planing on getting any more.
i was tempted by the chen Claymore but they "antiqued" it and now im just not interested :cry: nice good quality euro grear is scarce short of talking to a smith :cry:

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 pm

Oh yes, very nice indeed. thanks for sharing (H)

darksun_uk
Mod

Post by darksun_uk » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:20 pm

very nice sword, and good pics as well thanks for sharing 8)

kind regards

Moon

Post by Moon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:19 am

Aye,it's truly a nice looking sword Mac,with good pics too.
I've read a little about these blades and so far everyone who has bought one agrees with what you've written.
I've also read that they're made at the same forge as another famous blade,renowned for their 'competition cutting' ability but this is only hearsay as of now.
Thanks for sharing.