Another which sword thread...

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:50 pm

PC Tori - no idea on this one, if it wasn't on the blades site I'd never have heard of it and I can't even find it on the cas site :dunno:

Tsunami/Shinto - out of the forged PC I'd go for one of these but the shinto may be a little on the light side.

Tiger - Everyone loves these; except me. The "inlaid brass" tiger on the tsuba looks like it was painted on by a four year old with games workshop "shining gold" paint using an industrial sized paint brush and the tsuka is too long IMO. However if you look on the cas site there is now a "tiger elite" katana with a new tsuba and shorter tsuka (but I'd still change the tsuba)

Bushido - I've always prefered this over the tiger due to my issues with the tsuka length and the much nicer tsuba on the bushy, but over the new tiger (with new tsuba).. hmm.

Wind and Thunder - too heavy, originally based on the practical range the money used to go on the words "limited edition" but it is no longer limited by any factor other than however many get sold before they retire it. A poor man's tsunami, but £30 more expensive.

CS O kat - too long, too heavy, created for people who compare penis size and put V6 engines in vauxhall cavaliers.

CS series - Often overlooked in favour of the pk due to the percieved lack of quality/hammon but actually very good. If it was cheaper I'd probably have bought one by now.

Traditional Shinken Katana - the equivalent of having a poster of a supermodel for a girlfriend. Looks good but try to use it and you're asking for trouble: should be kept on the wall.
Last edited by Gorilla Warfairy on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:01 pm

I once did a huge post on the PC Tori with massive pics, but you'll have to use the search option to find cos I cant be arsed lol 8)

Must go check out this new Tiger katana

**EDIT** CHrist that so nice I'm starting a new thread for it, cheers for the heads up GW

sprout

Post by sprout » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:43 pm

Just what I wanted GW, for once you've proved your worth. 8)

Tori or er...Tsunami really...no I dont like square tsubas and something about the bushido just isnt that appealing. New tiger tho, that looks wicked. Methinks the Tori..anyone got one they can share opinions on?

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Post by Big Lazy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:44 pm

The Tori really is the red headed step child of the bunch. it has nothing special going for it at all

Kamui

Post by Kamui » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:52 pm

sprout wrote:Just what I wanted GW, for once you've proved your worth. 8)

Tori or er...Tsunami really...no I dont like square tsubas and something about the bushido just isnt that appealing. New tiger tho, that looks wicked. Methinks the Tori..anyone got one they can share opinions on?
If you want any decent pics of the Tsunami catch me on MSN and I will take some of mine

BlackRonin

Post by BlackRonin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:58 pm

prfer the look of tori to bushido myself, but the blade is supposedly inferior to bushido

that said on a few sites ive seen it priced more than biushido

ok so how about the tiger in shirasaya, remember seeing it in comming soon sect while ago, but think they stopped this sect

Gorilla Warfairy

Post by Gorilla Warfairy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:30 pm

Do you know what "in shirasaya" means? Are you seriously suggesting that anyone should build their first katana? :S

Also, while we're on the subject the given tang length for the "tiger blade in shirasaya" is substantially shorter than the tsuka length of the tiger. Is the shirasaya blade not identical to that found in tigers or is it that tiger tangs are really that much shorter than the tsuka?

*Looks at people with tigers*

BlackRonin

Post by BlackRonin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:37 pm

ahh i see thought with sprout being a regular he was looking at another not his first

Moon

Post by Moon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Gorilla Warfairy wrote: Also, while we're on the subject the given tang length for the "tiger blade in shirasaya" is substantially shorter than the tsuka length of the tiger. Is the shirasaya blade not identical to that found in tigers or is it that tiger tangs are really that much shorter than the tsuka?

*Looks at people with tigers*
Afaik,yes and this is one of the reasons why some Tiger owners get a Tsuka rebuild and change that 'orrible Tsuba with the 'irate squirrel' on it. :D

sprout

Post by sprout » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 pm

BlackRonin wrote:ahh i see thought with sprout being a regular he was looking at another not his first
lol, i wouldnt mind building it, but rather get one first, take it apart, then buy a blade in shirisaya and customise etc.