The anatomy of a wallhanger Katana

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

sprout

The anatomy of a wallhanger Katana

Postby sprout » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:13 am

Very Interesing thread...important to know methinks.

Admin Edit. Can't link to SFI I'm afraid, too many links to sword retailers.

Sprout Edit: ok, the images will be here soon...

Mod Edit: Still bloody waiting?????

Sprout Edit: I knew you were waiting 8)

Mod Edit: edited for content

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Thats why you dont want to swing wallhangers around. Cos they're built on the cheap. Somehow I dont think this one went through any 4" posts. (H)
Last edited by sprout on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:37 am

Anatomy of a "wallhanger" that has been used to cut through a 4" post.

Its also 22 yrs old, Used every day for nearly 17 yrs, and looks like it too.

disassembled
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... embled.jpg

pic of the half tang.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... f-tang.jpg

Tsuka, Habaki and tang,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... -tsuka.jpg

good 'ol S/S
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... 40-s-s.jpg

What a 4" post does to your sword.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... e-chip.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... -chip2.jpg

Remember "kids", don't try this at home! Seriously!
I took a risk and I was lucky! (for 17 yrs).

If you wanna learn the hard way, but the proper way, Join a dojo!
Or risk losing fingers or your life trying any other way!

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 am

fine example of a rat tail tang there, and now you can see why they break like a pencil if you hit anything with them. Good pics Sprouty lad
Pimp or die baby!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 am

Is that an ABS Tsuka Oni?

Hatamoto

Re: The anatomy of a wallhanger Katana

Postby Hatamoto » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:53 am

sprout wrote:*referring to list of images

*Shudders violently* My first sword, that was... I bought a set of two of them for posing purposes... They cost £35 each. Got them for my 15th birthday.. Jesus, you can learn a lot in five years.. I literally broke one by swinging it hard and stopping it too sharply, the handle cracked down the side. This was when I was 16 or so, probably.

It's pathetic, isn't it, how people can sleep at night, selling low grade guano like that thing..
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:08 am

It's frightening when you see things like QVC sell them as 'practice swords'. :S

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:08 pm

Practice?....

Let's put that in a practical context.

"These new piece of sh*te swords, going for a mere £(unfeasably high number), perfect for the modern self harmer, swing one of these, and someone's gonna get hurt, ideal for parties of suicidal people. Buy now, get free cyanide."

It's terrifying how many people will go for it, as well :S I wonder if they've ever been sued coz someone got it for their kid thinking it was safe (practice weapon doesn't exactly suggest lethality), and the kid lost a hand, or something. Could be fun to look into, I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for more stupid offers like that :p

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:It's frightening when you see things like QVC sell them as 'practice swords'. :S

Dont worry I dont think theyve done that since the incident :twisted:
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Hatamoto wrote:"These new piece of sh*te swords, going for a mere £(unfeasably high number), perfect for the modern self harmer, swing one of these, and someone's gonna get hurt, ideal for parties of suicidal people. Buy now, get free cyanide."

I know I should'nt laugh cos thats a serious issue.
But that is possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard for ages.
Really made me smile!

Seriously though!
I was reading a jap website the othernight that was explaining different true stories about sword accidents.

One story was a top level Iaido instructor was practising with his unsharpened steel Iaito when his friends 12 yr old son having just finished getting a new grade in Judo, came over to watch, he sat down on the outer part of the training area and started watching his dads friend.

All of a sudden the mekugi (small bamboo pin) broke and the blade came flying out and entered the side of the boys body, he died just before reaching hospital.
I guess at least 2 other people "died" that day.

The other accident I read about, was a team of kung fu practioners, they were performing some movements inside a ring, when a tai chi sword was flung into the crowd, the holder having lost his grip due to sweat etc.
The point entered the eye of a girl of 7, she did actually live though after extensive surgery.

Just goes to show, that unless your using a sword with a full tang and l pommel, like a broadsword, and your actually using a katana or ninja-to of any description you should always check the Mekugi /s before you even make one swing, it may be split, broken, loose or have fallen out already.

Personally I was so worried about mine coming out, I replaced it with a hardened steel nut and bolt, and wrapped part of the ito over the bolt ends, to save my hands from contact with the metal ends.

Its currently got a wooden peg, since I have'nt swung it about for a few years, and have needed to dismantle it for polishing etc.

EDIT:
Oh! and yes the tsuka is ABS.
And the ito looks rough as well, cos I can't be bothered paying £30 or more to replace it, yet!

I even have a long wooden pole made of ash, ready for a shirasaya for the blade, cos I may just keep it as a display item now, I've just gotta get hold of some decent carving tools and get my dad to teach me a bit about using them, cos with most things I'm a very creative and imaginative person, but can find it difficult to put make something from an image in my mind.
Unless its computers, then thats wee wee easy!
Last edited by Oni no Tengu on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:43 pm

The general "health" (condition, but I like to make swords more alive because I love em :D) of the sword is of course important, but I would have thought anybody using a sword without wrap for a time long enough to have sweaty palms would take some measures to prevent slippage (talcum powder, customised handle, and etc.)

Damn shame about the kid that died, though.. If that was me responsible I dunno if I could live with myself afterward :s

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:51 pm

I suppose thats part of the reason I've never practised in front of anyone else, cos I was worried about accidents, and unless you manage to cut your thumb off or impale your self whilst drawing and resheathing, then most accidents are gonna happen when you lose your grip on the handle or in the case of a sword with a mekugi, when that peg falls out and the sword goes flying, out of control.

Anyone swinging a sword with a rat tail tang would have to be without consience though, cos the consequences could be life changing.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:16 pm

I wouldn't trust a half tang sword with an ABS tsuka, even if it was a carbon steel blade. I really do think you've been lucky. A steel nut and bolt may actually make it more dangerous by eroding the ABS on impact. I think bamboo (and horn?) is used for a reason. My opinions aren't those of an expert, just something to consider.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:27 pm

Oni no Tengu wrote:unless you manage to cut your thumb off or impale your self whilst drawing and resheathing

On the site mentioned in the first post, I read about a guy who knew his stuff, but had a lapse in concentration when it came to noto (resheathing the sword), and he missed the scabbard. I think it was with a sharp (as in very sharp) sword, as well... the pictures were pretty horrific.

Just goes to show, it happens to the best of us. Or rather, them, since I don't do anything :p

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 pm

Oni no Tengu wrote: or in the case of a sword with a mekugi, when that peg falls out and the sword goes flying, out of control.

actually. menuki arnt meant to hold the blade in place. the onus is on the tsuka. the reason cheap blades are bad is because of the poorly made fittings. the menuki is really a last resort.

I wouldn't trust a half tang sword with an ABS tsuka, even if it was a carbon steel blade. I really do think you've been lucky. A steel nut and bolt may actually make it more dangerous by eroding the ABS on impact. I think bamboo (and horn?) is used for a reason. My opinions aren't those of an expert, just something to consider.

plastics can be used as tsuka material, but it would cost a lot as each tsuka would have to be modded in some way, and any plastic suitable for the tsuka would be really hard to machine.

horn, and bamboo are most commonly used for the tsuka pins. but a varity of things can be used in their place.... but like ive said above. the menuki is the last thing thats important in a tsuka.
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:47 pm

I read somewhere that ABS was prone to eroding away allowing the tang to work loose, but it was probably referring to the stuff used on cheap swords not designed/suitable for use in the first place.

Return to “The Cutting Edge”