The anatomy of a wallhanger Katana

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

wtf?

Postby wtf? » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Lexxorcist wrote:I read somewhere that ABS was prone to eroding away allowing the tang to work loose, but it was probably referring to the stuff used on cheap swords not designed/suitable for use in the first place.

yeah... you'd have to use some very specific plastics. theres plenty of forms of ABS, and cheap stuff, or poorly machined wont do it. but there ARE plastics avalible that would work. and to be honest, most would be stronger than the orginal wood version. but the woods used are strong enough, and much easier to work with, so its a little trade off.

truth be told, a plastic, re-enforced, chemically bonded tsuka would out perform anything else thats feasable. but its too expensive to produce, and serious japanese arts practitioners like their tradition. (to a point)
God i LOVE these things.

Im not sure what weapons will be used to fight WWIII, but i know that WWIV will be waged with wooden sticks.

sprout

Postby sprout » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:19 am

On the site mentioned in the first post, I read about a guy who knew his stuff, but had a lapse in concentration when it came to noto (resheathing the sword), and he missed the scabbard. I think it was with a sharp (as in very sharp) sword, as well... the pictures were pretty horrific.

I read that too, lucky he didnt lose his arm. That was a big scar, won't be forgetting those in a hurry.
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:04 am

sprout wrote:
On the site mentioned in the first post, I read about a guy who knew his stuff, but had a lapse in concentration when it came to noto (resheathing the sword), and he missed the scabbard. I think it was with a sharp (as in very sharp) sword, as well... the pictures were pretty horrific.

I read that too, lucky he didnt lose his arm. That was a big scar, won't be forgetting those in a hurry.

Imagine how he must feel every time he notos now :S I dunno how long I could that up for, I'd be thinking about that accident every time.
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:17 am

Hatamoto wrote:Imagine how he must feel every time he notos now :S I dunno how long I could that up for, I'd be thinking about that accident every time.

Some people are able to overcome it. Look at Barry Sheen, and Jackie Chan. It's amazing how some people can just climb back in the saddle, apparently unperturbed.

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:25 am

Dunno who Barry Sheen is, but good point, Jackie Chan's gone through life threatening accidents only to get up, wait for the bleeding to stop (lol) and do it again. Some people are just too bloody stubborn :D

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:32 am

I guess I'm showing my age there lol. Here's a bit about him. I remember seeing it on telly and it's one of those images that sticks in your mind.

He became the British 125cc champion aged just 20, and finished second in the World Championships for that class a year later. A spectacular crash at the Daytona 200 in 1975 threatened to end his career, breaking his left thigh, right arm, collarbone and two ribs, yet he recovered and was racing again shortly afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sheen

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:11 am

Wtf...I did'nt realise that the Mekugi is the last resort.
I honestly thought it was the only one.

I'd be very interested if you can point me towards somewhere factual that states this, I'm not saying this to be argumentative, I'm genuinely interested.

The stresses and strains on a bamboo mekugi must be immense.

Hopefully Logan won't mind me linking to this picture of this PPK tsuka, but it shows the end of the mekugi in fine, close detail, and it would appear to be made of metal.

http://www.aptr33.dsl.pipex.com/LoganAr ... %20008.jpg

Nice looking sword too.
Good pics as well. 8)

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 am

I believe that is a PK and not a PPK so the pin is there for show only
Pimp or die baby!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 am

PPK's have a leather like wrap. That may be one somebody's modified, but mine came with bamboo pegs. Also that is not the menuki ornament that came on my PPK. It does look more like a PK.

I'd be very interested if you can point me towards somewhere factual that states this, I'm not saying this to be argumentative, I'm genuinely interested.

Don't worry, I asked the same question. ;)

Bamboo can kind of squeze in if you know what I mean, and is probably less likely to slip out as it expands to fit. whereas a metal one might slip out more easily, and they are meant to be replaced with wear. I'm theorising here though.

***Edit*** In case you weren't aware of this, the PK tang is epoxied into the tuska and can't be dissasembled, which I presume is what Larney meant when he said it'll probably just be there for show.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:55 am

aye tis exactly what I meant. Actually I know for a fact that is a PK as I remember Logan reviewing it sometime back. With regards to bamboo, do they not absorb shock better than any other material too?
Pimp or die baby!

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 am

Larny Boy wrote:aye tis exactly what I meant. Actually I know for a fact that is a PK as I remember Logan reviewing it sometime back. With regards to bamboo, do they not absorb shock better than any other material too?

Well I don't know for sure that's the reason, but I assumd it was one of them. They squeeze in for a tight fit which I imagine would stop them slipping out so easily, and as you say, absorb shock, and quality bamboo is quite durable. After being removed I believe they should be replaced, but I bought some spares and they were only 20p each for reasonable quality ones.

wabhimself

Postby wabhimself » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:06 am

Larny Boy wrote:aye tis exactly what I meant. Actually I know for a fact that is a PK as I remember Logan reviewing it sometime back. With regards to bamboo, do they not absorb shock better than any other material too?

l wouldent be surprised at that to be honest larn, thats why arrows used to be made from bamboo shoots in places like africa and still is used mostly there. i've used it too with my bow and it stuck into a solid wooden target with minimal damage to the head which was just the end of the bamboo l sharpened so it goes to show it is strong stuff

Oni no Tengu

Postby Oni no Tengu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 am

Yeh! sorry I meant the PK.
long day!
I've noticed some sites advertise a couple of swords with angled mekugi, of which I'm sure they've stated there were 2.
Suppose thats stronger yet, although how angled pins are inserted through the tang is kind of baffling, trying to imagine it now and I can't think how you could angle a pin to such an extent that its gonna improve upon one or two inserted straight through the tang.

But I guess they would'nt sell em if they did'nt work.

Kamui

Postby Kamui » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:58 am

Lexxorcist wrote:
Hatamoto wrote:Imagine how he must feel every time he notos now :S I dunno how long I could that up for, I'd be thinking about that accident every time.

Some people are able to overcome it. Look at Barry Sheen, and Jackie Chan. It's amazing how some people can just climb back in the saddle, apparently unperturbed.

Yeah its gobsmacking how people can do that, speedway riders in particular just amaze me. One Rider recently called Ales Dryml had a huge accident and ended up going into intensive care after having someone ride straight into him and smack him on the head
He wants to carry on riding when he is back to health :S
Banzai Joe wrote:Thats weird. Stared down at my penis at it looked like a trombone!!!! :|

Hatamoto wrote:Shoulda made the Titanic out of biscuits. At least things would have stayed level, more people could have gotten out :p

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 am

SCrollled down to agree yes, the Barry Sheen example was pretty impressive, and stuff...

Then I saw your sig, Kamui. The penis/trombone scenario. And suddenly.. well, I can't really focus on human spirit anymore lol.

But, for you guys to know, I learneded a new word today :)

moxie \MOK-see\ (noun) - 1 : The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage. 2 : Aggressive energy; initiative. 3 : Skill; know-how.

Seems quite appropriate :)

Return to “The Cutting Edge”