New Hanwei Swords

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

bushi

New Hanwei Swords

Postby bushi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Hello,
For all who don't know, Hanwei / PC have release new models of some of their old swords. Personally I don't particularly like any of them except the new Musashi katana.
Also, how do you pronounce "Hanwei"? is it "Harn-way" or "Harn-wigh" as in sigh
The Way of a master is to do all things without thought to anything. - Yagyu Munenori

Logan

Postby Logan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Looks like they have relabled them 'Elite'.

sh2295 -- Qi Jian

From the master swordsmiths of the Hanwei forge comes the Qi Jian, a re-creation of an ancient design that utilized one-piece forging. The entire sword, from pommel to tip, has been forged from a single billet of steel. This forging technique provides unparalleled strength and balance while exhibiting a clear, bell-like tone when lightly struck. The sword’s name originates with the Qi nation, one of the many warring states that eventually formed modern China. Legend has it that Feng-Xuan, one of the Qi people and a central character in a well known folk tale, possessed such a one piece sword and would use its ringing quality to accompany his singing. The sword’s grip is rayskin wrapped, a feature matched by the wrap on the throat of the scabbard, making for a stunningly beautiful presentation.

SH6007KFE -- Tori Katana

The Tori katana is an all-new design from CAS/Hanwei that incorporates truly elegant furniture with the functionality of our performance series. Featuring a flying crane tsuba, brown leather tsuka-ito over black same and a dark brown/black saya, the Tori is available in three folded steel cutting blade profiles and three Iaito blade lengths. This is undoubtedly one of the most elegant mounts ever crafted by CAS/Hanwei.

SH6006KFG -- Tiger Elite Katana

The Tiger Elite Katana has been re-designed from kissaki to kashira. Utilizing a hand forged and folded Performance Series katana blade and some of the finest fittings available, the Tiger is equally at home as a cutting blade or showpiece. The K120C powder steel blade is differentially tempered using the traditional claying method which produces a HRC60 edge and HRC40 back. This allows for superior edge holding and cutting ability while allowing the blade to absorb the shock of a blow. The hamon (temper line) and hada (folding pattern) are very prominent. The koshirae (fittings) are all made from blackened bronze and detailed in gold. The tsuba (guard) is made from blackened iron with a ‘stalking tiger’ motif. The same is of the finest ray skin while the tsuka-ito (handle wrap) and sageo (scabbard cord) are made from top-quality japanese cotton. The Tiger is supplied with a protective cloth bag and traditional maintenance kit.

SH6004KGE -- Shinto Elite Katana

The Shinto Elite features a hand-forged 1065 high-carbon steel katana blade (now featuring the geometry of the Performance Series) and is differentially tempered using the traditional claying method. The Shinto Elite is mounted in black and the tsuka-ito is made of premium black Japanese cotton. The saya is finished in a deep black lacquer with a black cotton sageo. A finely rendered dragon, detailed in gold, with true front-and-back detail, forms the black iron tsuba. The fittings are superbly antiqued adding to the aesthetics of the set. The Shinto is supplied with a protective cloth bag and traditional maintenance kit.

SH6003KGG -- Musashi Elite Katana

Miyamoto Musashi, arguably the most famous swordmaster in Japanese history, fought more than 60 duels before retiring and writing his famous treatise on swordplay, the “Book of Five Rings”. Development of the two-sword style of swordplay, with the Daito (long sword) and Wakizashi being used together, is credited to Musashi. Mounted in black, the Musashi Elite is faithful to the original down to the famous double-ring iron tsubas. The tsuka-ito is in leather over ray skin. The blade is hand-forged in high-carbon steel, with new geometry to enhance cutting ability. It is edge-tempered using the traditional clay tempering method, resulting in a distinct hamon. Edge hardness is HRC60, back hardness HRC40. The grip is double-pegged to the tang for safety. Supplied with a protective cloth bag and traditional maintenance kit.

SH6009KPG -- Practical Pro Elite Katana

By customer demand, the Practical Pro Elite Katana (SH6009KPG) has an extended tsuka and a thicker and longer (29”) blade. The blade is forged in high-carbon steel and is differentially tempered using a traditional claying method. The Practical Pro Elite has a fine polish compared to others in the practical series. The rayskin-covered tsuka is wrapped with sueded black leather for its gripping characteristics and is double-pegged for safety. The saya is finished in a deep black lacquer with a black Japanese cotton sageo. The fittings (koshirae) are finished in antiqued black iron. The katana features a round Kuruma tsuba, which represents the “Wheel of Dharma,” symbolizing the Buddhist concept of the Noble Eightfold Path.

SH6001KPE -- Practical Plus Elite Katana

The Practical Plus Elite Katana provides a very economical cutting sword as dependable as the Practical Elite Katana (SH6000KPC), but using more traditional fittings and construction methods. The blade is forged and differentially tempered (HRC60 edge, HRC40 back) and the hamon is prominent. The Practical Plus Elite features genuine Same (Rayskin) on the Tsuka, with a tightly-woven cotton wrap (Tsuka-Ito). The long tang is double-pegged for security. The fittings of the Practical Plus Elite are decorated in a Japanese Dogwood motif with dragon menuki, and the handsome Tsuba is of an iron “sunburst” design with a brass habaki. Maintenance kit available seperately (OH1003)

AH2193 -- Dragon Armour

Hanwei’s Dragon Armour, named for the helmet crest (mon), is made for the connoisseur of Japanese armours. It faithfully replicates a “Byotoji Do Gusoku” from the Edo period which, like many fine armours, incorporates an earlier helmet bowl from the Momoyama period. European influence on Samurai armour is discernible in the slight median ridge to the front section of the byotoji okegawa do (breastplate) which, by this period, was designed to deflect musket balls. The plates of the do, with waved edges, are fastened with elaborate shakudo rivets in the form of flowers with gilt centers. This feature illustrates the Japanese preference for a more flexible style of armour than the typical European one-piece breastplate construction. The carrying chest/display seat (hitsu) is black lacquered with the Dragon mon emblazoned in silver on the front panel. Overall, the antiqued patina of the gusoku gives a period appearance and provides a rich addition to any Japanese décor. Our full-sized suits of Samurai armour provide displays of outstanding quality for the den or the dojo. Crafted by the armourers of CAS/Hanwei, the armour is authentically detailed and completely realistic. These very affordable pieces are made with traditional styling and materials and are wearable (within a reasonable size range!). They are supplied in the customary black lacquered box which, along with an included wooden frame, provides the support for the display.

SH2293 -- Butterfly Swords (Rattan)

Butterfly Swords (or Eight-Cutting Swords) are believed to have been developed by Shaolin monks as a concealable defensive weapon, used to disable rather than kill, which was prohibited by the monk’s code of conduct. The use of butterfly swords has since been honed to a fine art by martial artists, particularly the Wing Chun & Hung Gar styles of Southern China, where precision and two-sword coordination are emphasized. The CAS/Hanwei Butterfly Swords Sets feature high-carbon tempered steel blades with traditional dragon engraving. The SH2293 set features rattan wrapped grips and solid brass guards decorated in a Lotus Flower scroll pattern, repeated on the fittings of the double scabbard, which is encased in exquisitely woven rattan.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:36 pm

They all look sh*t bar the Tiger
Pimp or die baby!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:40 pm

I quite like the Jian, the rest dont particularly grab me.
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Any prices to go with them yet?

DrunkDwarf

Postby DrunkDwarf » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm

For some strange reason that i cant explain... im drawn to those Butterfly swords...
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum...

Lexxorcist

Postby Lexxorcist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:58 pm

DrunkDwarf wrote:For some strange reason that i cant explain... im drawn to those Butterfly swords...

I said the same when they were shown on another post, and they aren't my kind of thing usually. I think it's the rattan.

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:00 pm

I also dont like the fact that the sago isn't knotted either. Screams off cost cutting to me
Pimp or die baby!

Honda T

Postby Honda T » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:00 pm

Larny Boy wrote:I also dont like the fact that the sago isn't knotted either. Screams off cost cutting to me

I assume you mean the sageo, and I don't think it would cost much to have it knotted in the production process. There are many web sites showing how it's done, and some people don't always like the knots anyway; I practice iaido with a PC Shinto; I never 're-knot' the sageo.
Regards,
Steve

When you reach real ability you will be able to become one with the enemy. Entering his heart you will see that he is not your enemy after all.
Sword Master Tsuji (1650-1730)

Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin

Postby Big Lazy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Honda T wrote:
Larny Boy wrote:I also dont like the fact that the sago isn't knotted either. Screams off cost cutting to me

I assume you mean the sageo, and I don't think it would cost much to have it knotted in the production process. There are many web sites showing how it's done, and some people don't always like the knots anyway; I practice iaido with a PC Shinto; I never 're-knot' the sageo.
You assume correctly but please be assured it was a typo not a lack of knowledge and I Firmly believe it is a cost cutting measure as imagine how much money they will save not having to pay people to sit there tying the knots all day. also if if you dont like the knot then you can simply undo it, the same cant be said for actually tying the knot as most people (myself included) have never managed to successfully manage it.
Pimp or die baby!

Honda T

Postby Honda T » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:11 pm

[quote="Larny Boy]You assume correctly but please be assured it was a typo not a lack of knowledge and I Firmly believe it is a cost cutting measure as imagine how much money they will save not having to pay people to sit there tying the knots all day. also if if you dont like the knot then you can simply undo it, the same cant be said for actually tying the knot as most people (myself included) have never managed to successfully manage it.[/quote]

I never presumed a lack of knowledge, Larny; I often make tiepin mistooks, too!! :D (you've been on these forums too long not to know!)

But I understand your point about the knot, cost, etc.

But I can't understand the need to produce (what appears to be) the same line of swords, not tie the sageo, and then label them as 'Elite'; is the price slightly cheaper? From some of the pictures they look very much the same a their counterparts. :S
Regards,

Steve

When you reach real ability you will be able to become one with the enemy. Entering his heart you will see that he is not your enemy after all.

Sword Master Tsuji (1650-1730)

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:31 pm

I like the new tiger. I think the tsuba is sexy.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

sprout

Postby sprout » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Blackbird wrote:I quite like the Jian, the rest dont particularly grab me.

Aye, that Jian looks rather nice, be interesting to see if blades stock it without asking (H)
wtf? wrote:like looking for mensa candidates in a jerry springer trailor park

don't click this link...

darkphoton1

Postby darkphoton1 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:03 pm

at least the new PPK hasnt got the raındrop saya

Hatamoto

Postby Hatamoto » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:14 pm

lol DP

I really like the Qi Jian :) The rest don't particularly grab me, but I'm moving away from the katana now, and onto the Jian and broadsword type swords, so I guess I'm a little biased against them now.

I second the quetion: Any prices yet?
Wraith wrote:my tits are fantastic, you little bastard!

Return to “The Cutting Edge”