Rapier type thingy.

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

Moon

Rapier type thingy.

Postby Moon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Talking to a new neighbour earlier this evening and someone told him that I had an interest in swords so he gave me this which he's found in the attic of his previous home when he moved in.
Looks like a mid 20th century tourist blade to me.
Total length is about 45"

You can just make out 'Toledo Spain' below the foliate work and there's a trace of gilt amidst the rust. :D

Nice design on the 'cup' too.

...and it didn't cost me a single penny. :D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Lucius Vorenus

Postby Lucius Vorenus » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:28 am

What you gonna do with it Moon ? will you display it in all its rusty glory or hide it away in your loft?

I know you dont want to but i wouldnt be able to resist cleaning it up ;)

I actualy quite like it for a freebe :D
"RALLY TO ME"

Barry the Time Sprout

Postby Barry the Time Sprout » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:31 pm

thats actually quite nice, made even better by being free

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Got some very nice elements o it plus hey its free :D Whats the plan then Moon ?
Blade with whom I have lived
Blade with whom I shall die
Strike once dear heart
And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Moon

Postby Moon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:13 am

Blackbird wrote:Got some very nice elements o it plus hey its free :D Whats the plan then Moon ?

Well...the way I'm thinking right now Beeb,is that if I don't 'clean it up' and stick it in the attic or somewhere out of sight,the guy may feel that I don't appreciate the gift as he did say something like...'it could do with a good clean' when he gave it to me.
What do you or others suggest I do?

Cybermoose...don't even think about it and stay off my thread.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Lucius Vorenus

Postby Lucius Vorenus » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:58 am

When you put it like that i think your maybe obliged to clean it up after all it was a gift from a new neighbour. Once gleaming display it if it dont look right amoungst all yer cool stuff give it him back as a present.....hey he might even develop an interest in swords and start collecting himself ;) ....youd get major kudos points for that Moon.

it definatley dosent deserve to end up back in a dusty loft (no sword deserves that fate)
"RALLY TO ME"

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:31 pm

Im thinking if its got a nice patina then just get rid of any red rust and if you want to rig up a display set up. I'm thinking a bright n shiney clean up wont do it any favors.
Blade with whom I have lived

Blade with whom I shall die

Strike once dear heart

And then Goodbye

Logan wrote:Its not always the tape I find the trickiest. I gotta admit, I spent a good 10minutes trying to get into my Willie! Was trying to work out where ends were, flaps, openings, how it came apart...lol thought I was never gonna get in! :D

Lucius Vorenus

Postby Lucius Vorenus » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:49 pm

Moon has already explained that a bright and shiney clean up wont do the sword anygood, the Quote once gleaming was just a figure of speech and not advice on what to do, im not qualified to give advice on such matters im affraid :S
"RALLY TO ME"

Geord

Postby Geord » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:32 am

just shows how new i am too swords, id not have a clue how too clean it up.

ashley

Postby ashley » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 pm

looks cool :GGG
http://www.me109clan.org A Day Of Defeat Clan

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:39 pm

i have seen these before in various states of repair...mostly they are "prop" weapons bought in the boom era of spanish tourism.....
occasionally though you will find a decent blade that will handle a polish....
i have reworked one in the past by polishing the blade and reworking the grip and handle.....
they can turn out as a really nice mantelpiece ornament...sadly i dont have images of the piece i reworked....
the cup on the version i worked on was "painted" between the filligree engravings, as it would appear your example is.....i opted for a complete clean of guard, using a high pressure spray gun and thinners.....from there, after dismantling of course, i reproduced the paint with some enamel instead..using a deep crimson and black......but the same could easily be done with liquid acrylic paints....
if you do clean the blade back and discover it is cheaply chrome plated, then i would reccomend exchanging it for a schlager or epe duelling quality blade....you can purchase such "spares" via the internet.....

its a nice project for a freebie..for sure

Moon

Postby Moon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 pm

I've just given the blade a wipe over with a little oil...it's not chrome plated and as it's just a tourist piece and the bloke who gave it to me buggered off with his boss' wife just before Xmas,it'll probably stay in our attic until it reaches antique status by which time,the rest of the UK will be confined to disposable plastic cutlery or chopsticks and I won't be here anyway lol. :D

Return to “The Cutting Edge”