Legal Balisong???

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

skippydm

Legal Balisong???

Postby skippydm » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:13 pm

UK legal balisong?
Ok so we all know that balisongs are illegal in the UK and are defined as:

"A blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade."

That is correct?

Well the video below shows a demonstration and explanation of the new 'jani-song' knife from MOD knives.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...16&hl= en

As I understand it, there is an inner handle and an outer handle, so it is not designed to 'split down the middle'. Neither does it really have the appearance of a butterfly knife - only the ability to do the same kinds of things.

So, is this knife going to be legal?

Secondly, it seems to me that if it is legal, then it will also be legal to carry (assuming the blade is 3" or less) since it does not lock. Of course...it could be said to be an offensive weapon being designed as a fighting tool so probably not, but interesting.

What do you think, Legal or Illegal?

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:43 pm

I can't get that link in the quote to work but this is from an old thread here...

I wrote:They are illegal in the U.K.

Balisong
Common Use Names:
Butterfly Knife
Cited:
Criminal Justice Act 1988 / Statutory Instrument 1988 No. 2019
Prohibits:
Manufacture, import, sale or hire, or offer of sale or hire, or lending or giving to any other person.
Legal Definition:
A blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade.
Common Misconceptions:
Pentographic knives are not Butterfly Knives, but they do fully meet the description of a Butterfly Knife and one must assume that perhaps inadvertently or not, they are prohibited.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:01 pm

i will try and find another link for ya moon,

the handles look solid yet they spin... so a folder with no backspine so handles can rotate on there own...

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:20 pm

The proper link
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.sw ... &hl=en

my bad it didnt copy the link when i copied the text :GGG

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:49 pm

In honesty I think it's probably fair to assume it will be illegal as it still appears to have much the same effect as the balisong.

Moon

Postby Moon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:54 pm

skippydm wrote:The proper link
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.sw ... &hl=en

my bad it didnt copy the link when i copied the text :GGG

It still won't play for me skipp' but if it's the same as this one...

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... &plindex=0

...I think McSerious is probably right and if not...you'll have a helluva job convincing HM Customs that it is legal if they should sieze it.
I know that the discussion of illegal weapons or possible loopholes in the Law isn't allowed here,so I'll not say any more. :|
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 pm

theres been a huge discussion about it on another forum about 5 pages so far, some saying it will be legal others saying illegal, similar things have been said about Cold Steels Triple Action Folder... yet you can buy that legally in the UK, but its mainly down to the person who finds you whether its seen as a balisong type knife or just a folder ;)

Cool McSerious

Postby Cool McSerious » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Well from a logical stand point - and do correct me if I'm wrong here anyone - surely balisong knives are illegal because of their offensive capabilities, not because there's a chance the person with the knife can cut themselves. The only difference in funtionality in this new number is that you have less chance of cutting yourself, right? But the offensive qualities are all the same? If so then it stands to reason that it probably won't be legal.

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:24 pm

the thing is all knives have the same offensive capabilities, i still dont understand the reasoning behind banning balisongs.

automatics i can understand since they open at the push of a button...

:|

darkhobo

Postby darkhobo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:44 pm

I believe the laws in my state (us) are no blades longer then 3 inches and no blade that opens using a spring or gravity. I think just because it can be opened with one hand quickly, though most legal ones dont take much longer to open.
Mos wrote:Americans :roll:

Mos wrote:ill say it again Americans

Simoriax wrote:well what do you know, i love americans! :)

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:06 pm

same thing here, but thats legal to carry with out a reason, you can carry a locking knife as long as you got a good reason to have

its illegal to buy an automatic knife in the uk

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Again from the old thread...

I wrote:The nearest thing that you can get to a fully "automatic" folder IMO is the Kershaw "assisted opener" range,designed by Ken Onion.
My choice is the "Whirlwind",push the thumbstud out approx 20 degrees and the spring takes over and it locks.
The "Scallion","Boa",Leek" and "Chive" can also be opened with the index finger but there is a safety catch on these which can be a pain.
They are all perfectly legal at the moment but it won't be long before these too are cited,so grab one while you can,I've imported 6 over 18 months or so,for myself and friends,with no problems.Expect to pay at least twice the price from retailers in the U.K.
Sorry I can't give you a link.

...and they're just as quick to open as a fully auto'.
I believe there are more "assisted opener" folders available from other manufacturers too.

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:50 pm

i know of a few assisted openers, not really my thing in all honesty, flippers to me seem a hell of a lot better, they are just a normal lockback with a bit that sticks out so you can flip the blade open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKvTutcujh0

Moon

Postby Moon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Exactly the same 'flipper' action as the Boa and Scallion.
They're smaller and don't look as good as the Begg though.
The Baby Boa is too small for my liking.

skippydm

Postby skippydm » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:35 pm

i will have a look for them, since you cant post the link on here, i dont mind a small folder as i got nimble hands :>

Return to “The Cutting Edge”