Iaido Beginners

Discuss your hobby with other sword enthusiasts

Moderators: Big Lazy, Moderators

User avatar
skippydm
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Postby skippydm » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Moon wrote:
kirisute wrote:i dread to think....please feel free to regale me with the tale......

Translate Hagakure and do a Google search for it...you should find Mike Crampton,we can't say any more than that,it's against the rules of the forum.
kirisute wrote:do you have a copy of the Hagakure?
ill hunt mine down today and find the story to relate full details for you....

Thanks for the offer...I'll take your word for it as I'm not into the philosophical side but others may be interested.


how did i not get that straight away :oops:

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:34 pm

ahhhhh.....i think i see your meaning.......

just as a qeuestion Moon...surely martial art and philosophy go hand in hand...after all...Jutso, art,...is a bonding of mind and body into one state of consciousness....

for me at elast...the broadebing of my mind and attitude are at least as important as the learning of a technique

User avatar
cybernex
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: England, Planet Earth

Postby cybernex » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Moon wrote:
kirisute wrote:i dread to think....please feel free to regale me with the tale......

Translate Hagakure and do a Google search for it...you should find Mike Crampton,we can't say any more than that,it's against the rules of the forum.
kirisute wrote:do you have a copy of the Hagakure?
ill hunt mine down today and find the story to relate full details for you....

Thanks for the offer...I'll take your word for it as I'm not into the philosophical side but others may be interested.


True, I thik were pushing it as it is :mrgreen:
"I Belong To The Warrior Whom The Old Ways Have Joined With The New."

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Postby Moon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:14 pm

kirisute wrote:just as a qeuestion Moon...surely martial art and philosophy go hand in hand...after all...Jutso, art,...is a bonding of mind and body into one state of consciousness....

Absolutely...for those who are practicing martial artists,I'm sure that's very true but as someone who only has an interest in Bushido through ongoing amateur historical studies of Nippon-to,it's not really of any significance to me personally.
You'll not find many posts in 'Fudoshin' from me,except the replies I've made to some of the absurd claims made there and many of those were deleted during the Forum 'crash' about a year or so ago.
Hence the second line in my sig'. ;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

Caffeinated

that dagger

Postby Caffeinated » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi kirisute,
Loz said he contacted you regarding your post.
Get in touch please would you.
Cheers
Caff

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:02 pm

sorrybuddy ive had no contact from him regarding that "subject"...others yes...but nothing regarding what we talked about....
ill be sure to let you know if he does contact me though

User avatar
Banzai Joe
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:30 am
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Postby Banzai Joe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Hey Big Jon,
whats going on over at tanith? I've not been able to get on it for ages?

Aaannywayyyyy.....i like your point about what Iwata sensei said. I was there buddy, at one of his seminars in Leeds when he proclaimed his intention to rename the art. My sensei in iai and aikijujutsu is one of Iwata sensei's favourite gaijin and he's an excellent mentor and friend...at 72 years young.

As regards the OP, i think its daft, irresponsible and dangerous to start off with shinken. Soldiers don't get given a live weapon as soon as they join the army. Why would some n00b be given a 3ft razor when they first step into a dojo and learn how to hold a sword?

They very fact that someone is taking up iai should point towards them being of a certain nature and holding respect for both sword and art itself. You don't often get wannabe's trying out iai, because they want "to cut sh*t up!"

Progressive training is the way, as it is with all MA's. Currently at shodan level in kendo i don't expect to understand or be taught yondan-waza yet.
Much the same for a yellow belt in karate wouldn't expect to be shown black belt techniques.

Seeing as the OP mentioned aikido. It took me 10 years to reach my shodan through progressive 'experience', a lot of this was off the tatami whilst injured. But when i came back, my aikido and my spirit were so much stronger and better for it.

Iai is the hardest MA i've ever studied, mentally its so draining. IMHO, bokuto > iaito > shinken (maybe)
I do, however believe than tameshigiri is an integral part of senior practice. It will certainly test your cuts in the truest form.
Bear in mind also that iaito are a lot lighter than shinken so adjustment traning would be needed as well.
I've skewered myself once with my iaito, but not yet with the shinken. Just about everyone i know has sliced the webbing of their left hands at one stage or another.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:23 pm

thanks for you input...and i understand exactly where your coming from....
as i originally stated a few posts back...this wasnt meant to offend anybody or start an argument....simply a discussion of viewpoints....

your correct alot of people dont even realise Iai exists until they have studied or followed the martial arts for a number of years.....it does tend to be a follow on from sword techniques taught in Aikido or Karate.....the gradual path of a student finding a new road to follow........

User avatar
Banzai Joe
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:30 am
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Postby Banzai Joe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm

I suppose, although after 10 years of aiki-ken, my swordwork looked totally barbaric compared to the graceful movements i learned in iai.
I'm now more focussed on kendo and again the cuts are slightly different. Although more akin to seitei style than Iwata's smooth Eishin ryu cuts.
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

User avatar
Moon
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:57 pm
Location: In orbit

Postby Moon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:57 pm

Banzai Joe wrote:Hey Big Jon,
whats going on over at tanith? I've not been able to get on it for ages?

Aaannywayyyyy.....i like your point about what Iwata sensei said. I was there buddy, at one of his seminars in Leeds when he proclaimed his intention to rename the art. My sensei in iai and aikijujutsu is one of Iwata sensei's favourite gaijin and he's an excellent mentor and friend...at 72 years young.

F*ck me...it's the Mad Marine. :)
How ya doing Kev?
Nowt wrong on tanith afaik mate...I take a peek most days with no problem.
It was you who told me about Iwata sensei's proclamation when I recommended a guy to the 4 Dragons dojo in Leeds who lived close by and was looking for somewhere to start and I wrongfully called it Iaido.
Good to see you back again man...I mean it,don't leave it so long next time.;)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say: fools because they have to say something"...Plato

User avatar
Banzai Joe
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:30 am
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Postby Banzai Joe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:08 pm

aah....ya know, ya never write, ya never call....lol.

Tbh mate, i only really came on here to find out what the deal was with tanith.

Oo err.....i can now login, its all changed, had to re-insert my credentials and i'm back. MUWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Thanks :D

Yeah, will try and pop in every so often to add some scandal to the boards.

Laters :D
"A man should never have sexual intercourse with another man. God hates that!" Leviticus 18.

Caffeinated

kirisute

Postby Caffeinated » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi kirisute,
Loz says its o.k for your to contact me about "The subject"
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Caff

User avatar
Big Lazy
Blades-UK Admin
Posts: 9987
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:00 pm
Location: The Best Midlands
Contact:

Re: kirisute

Postby Big Lazy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 am

Caffeinated wrote:Hi kirisute,
Loz says its o.k for your to contact me about "The subject"
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Caff


Caffeinated

Loz has not informed me about any of this so until he does DO NOT POST ANYMORE REQUESTS FOR MEMBERS TO CONTACT YOU OR YOU WILL BE BANNED!!!

kirisute - please do not contact this user till his story has been confirmed, thank you.
Pimp or die baby!

kirisute

Postby kirisute » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:28 am

buddy i wouldnt have the faintest idea how to contact him anyway! LOL....
but dont worry...until i hear from Loz i wont do anything...if i dont hear anything..nothing happens plain and simple....
i respect BUK too much to cross them....

Caffeinated

I understand your respect for this site

Postby Caffeinated » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:52 am

Hi kirisute,
sure I understand.
This is sooo weird,cause Lawrence told me to contact you here through the site,actually,I just spoke again to him???anyway he says he will sort it out?have you checked your private messages?
Later


Return to “The Cutting Edge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest